• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Visiting New York , recommendations?

esm

Forum Donor
Spend an afternoon wandering around B&H. If you're a fan of this forum, then that store is basically a 70,000 sq. ft. playground. The conveyor system spread throughout the store is just ridiculous.

But go during the week; they're closed for Shabbat (and most Jewish holidays).

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Are you kidding? There's so much here in all those areas. What stuff do you like or want to discover? Where are you staying?

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was there earlier this summer. I've been there 3 times and still don't like the city. For a flagship city, it sure is quite trashy and unorganized. There are however, a few good things to do -

One World Observatory - far better views than from Empire State. The 9/11 memorial is tastefully done.

St. Patrick's Cathedral is nice and while you are there you can check out Rockefeller center.

I also went to B&H (Mecca of photography) and spent a couple of hours. They have a used section where you can find good deals.

The little girl facing the Raging Bull is still there! Nothing too special, but it was kind of cool IMO.

Have a hot dog (NYC is famous for it) from one from one the street vendors - I tried one of the halal stands and it was quite good. If you don't like it the first time, try another one in a different part of the city.

You can check out Statue of Liberty but you will use up half a day cos of the boat ride and all.

Try not to drive. If you haven't run into anyone rude, you haven't experienced the city properly.

tinger

Take a walk to High Line, if it is not too cold :)

Omg, so much to see/do/eat, etc in NYC.

Definitely Chelsea market if near the HighLine.. Los Tacos is fantastic.
Mario Battalli's Eatily for all things Italian.
In the neighborhood, If dining on company expense, avoid Moritimoto or Del Pasto however 11 Madison is fantastic. For breakfast/lunch Grainne Cafe in one of the oldest building in chealsea has fantastic crepes.. I usually order Crepe Maison with chicken/goat cheese and leeks!

Winbar/tapas, Bar Jamon is a must! For Paella, Socarrat.
Underground (no name on door) Mex restauarnt Pulqueria in chinatown is fun. Flex mussels for Mussels.. not sure if they still have all you can eat happy hours anymore (I can eat 3 buckets with frenchfries easy)
Another fun place is Le Relais for French sliced steak and fries... your only option is how do you want your meat cook.

have fun!

Sometimes on sundays certain Broadway shows raffle out matinee tickets. I kinda remembered giving out 20 tickets. Me and gf saw 2 shows this way.

OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
You should come over and hear BACCH. Go to the Village Vanguard, and hear some proper jazz. Eat at Sushi Yasuda.
Great, will do and thanks. Yes I love the village vanguard, hoping Cristian Mcbride is in residence when I get there. He normally plays a few weeks in December.

OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Are you kidding? There's so much here in all those areas. What stuff do you like or want to discover? Where are you staying?
I’m staying over in Williamsburg, but tend to walk around 10 Miles a day going round exploring and there uber so getting around is easy.

Iv done most of the tourist stuff but was hoping a more locals eye veiw might provide a different perspective for this trip, I’m booked in to see some dance and opera at the Lincoln Center and Iv got boxing on the Saturday night but anything you yourself feels is wonderful really , I’d appreciate the suggestion and look into it.

The point of asking you all is to get ‘ beyond’ myself and explore.

Cheers

Krusty09

Forum Donor
Hey.

If ur at the garden for boxing go across the st to get some pizza. One of the best in the city. Some will say the best. Pizza Surpremea. If you like beer hit up blind tiger and if your near the garden and want some good craft beer or just a cool place stop by the Haymaker.

Have fun.

Top Bottom