• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Visiting Japan this spring. Ideas?

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
How much would it cost to hire a guide, say for two weeks?
...Someone to translate, recommend the best places, the best transportation, etc.

OP
stunta

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How much would it cost to hire a guide, say for two weeks?
...Someone to translate, recommend the best places, the best transportation, etc.

I have a link in my OP. We will have a guide. Small group size - 12 people. Private tours are typically a lot more expensive but a lot more under your control.

Guermantes

First post but just thought I'd add some recommendations as I lived in Japan for a few years on the island of Shikoku.

Tokyo - my favourite area is around Ginza as you get that cosmopolitan sophistication married with Asian energy that the city is famous for. If you are a vinyl lover, Tokyo will be paradise as there are record stores aplenty but it will take weeks to trawl through them all - hotspots are in Shinjuku and Shibuya. If you want to see street fashion and cosplayers try Harajuku. I'm sure your guide will take the group to Sensoji temple in Asakusa as that is one of the must-dos in Tokyo.

Takayama - my favourite spot! The markets are good. Beautiful spring colour in the mountains. Make sure you try some of the onsen here, too. Hopefully you will have a side trip to Shirakawago for the historical thatched buildings.

Hiroshima - Peace Park and Museum. Eat some Hiroshima-style okonomiyaki (savory cabbage pancakes with noodles and meat of your choice). Side trip to Miyajima which has the famous "floating" torii shrine gate.

Kyoto - Amir likes the Golden Pavilion but I prefer the silver one for its gardens. Walk from there along the Philosopher's Walk to Nanzenji for the cherry blossoms (sakura). Gion district is good for spotting geisha or maiko (and lots of Chinese or Korean tourists dressed up like maiko). Kiyomizu-dera for views and the sacred water. Arashiyama for bamboo forests and spring colour. If you are in Kyoto during sakura season you will have millions of other sight-seers to jostle with.

Your guide will be indispensable in all the hustle and bustle of the cities. There are electronic superstores dotted throughout the big cities that are good for browsing on rainy days -- try Yodobashi Camera. Biccamera, Yamada Denki.

If you don't want to eat seafood, there are other options such as okonomiyaki, ramen, donburi, yakitori/yakiniku and izakaya food (as mentioned). There are also plenty of western-style cafes around every corner. But you might be surprised by how good the seafood experience is in Japan. I normally won't eat sashimi (raw fish) in other countries but every time I visit Japan I am amazed at how good it tastes there.

If you are there during sakura season, you must, must try hanami: picnicking with a group of Japanese people under the blossoms, drinking sake, singing songs, composing haiku, whatever! This is considered one of the quintessential Japanese pastimes.

Enjoy!
Richard

Guermantes

I looked at your itinerary and it looks like you might have a bit of time to kill in Hiroshima. If that's the case, definitely make the trip to Miyajima. You also have a Rail Pass, so you could easily jump on the shinkansen and make a day trip to Osaka, Kobe, Yamaguchi, or even Kagawa (for the udon noodles).

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Kyoto - Amir likes the Golden Pavilion but I prefer the silver one for its gardens. Walk from there along the Philosopher's Walk to Nanzenji for the cherry blossoms (sakura). Gion district is good for spotting geisha or maiko (and lots of Chinese or Korean tourists dressed up like maiko). Kiyomizu-dera for views and the sacred water. Arashiyama for bamboo forests and spring colour. If you are in Kyoto during sakura season you will have millions of other sight-seers to jostle with.
Welcome to the forum with that great post!

To be clear, I love everything about Kyoto including everything you list there. I have been there about 10 to 20 times in different season. I even went there in winter but sadly just missed snow.

OP
stunta

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Day 1. Tokyo. Picked Japanese breakfast and it was great.

Beautiful day today. Trying to figure out what to see first. Any suggestions?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
OP
stunta

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We are staying in Ueno. Cherry blossoms are here and nice. Ok, will go to imperial palace. Not too far. Thinking meguro river after that. Is that nice?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
OP
stunta

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
stunta

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I feel like I am on a different planet, in a good way.

Guermantes

Definitely Ueno Park while the sakura is in full bloom.

Timbo2

I feel like I am on a different planet, in a good way.

That's the jet lag! I'm OK, but tired on Day 1 and on Day 2 turn into a zombie. This is coming from the US east coast and switching day for night.

Similar to Guermantes, I especially enjoyed Takayama, but I've always been more of country person compared to a city person. For grins see if you can recognize my avatar. I chose it when I saw Amir's choice.

I especially enjoy speaking Japanese and the reaction of hotel staff used to dealing with foreigners. I've had entire conversations where the staff spoke to me only in English and all my responses were only in Japanese.

One of my coworkers is in Japan right now for a vacation. I'm jealous!

OP
stunta

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Imperial Palace was OK. Meguro River was a lot nicer with blossoms.

Will checkout Ueno Park tomorrow. It's right across the street from the hotel.

Jet lag is terrible with the 13 hour difference from home. Melatonin can only do so much.

OP
stunta

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The architecture is underwhelming. Perhaps that's by design. If you've visited China, you will know what I mean.

Didn't see what you have in the photo there. Obama was at the palace at the same time we were so some sections might have been closed to public.

Top Bottom