• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Visit to Tape Aficionado and Audiophile: John Brooks

ikkyu2

Hi, all. This is John. Thanks to Amir for a delightful write up of the fun time we had. In answer to a few comments:

The speakers are Wilson Benesch Curves. I've since upgraded to the Wilson Benesch Vectors.

First American Records was re-issuing LPs in the 1980's, mostly of European jazz recordings but also others. The owner placed an ad on Craigslist for 5 or 6 jazz master tapes. I went to his office and he played some sections on a consumer Teac deck through cheap bookshelf speakers. I asked him if I could audition them at home on my system and he said sure. I took them home and 3 or 4 (I can't remember) were fantastic. I returned, said I wanted to buy those, and asked if he had any more. He said yes, up in the loft of his warehouse. I went up there and he must have had over 500 tape albums. Thus began a year+ process of filling a box with a dozen or so tapes, taking them home, cherry picking the best, and repeating the process every month or so. About the time that I had gone through them all, he sold the remainder to someone who wanted to digitize them and post to iTunes. I've since added to the collection and, in addition to jazz and blues, have rock and some classical. Over 100 titles in all.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Yes, welcome John. Awesome Hi Fi you have set up, then those original tapes make the cherrys on top.
Enjoy your wealth of gear. ;)

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Hi, all. This is John. Thanks to Amir for a delightful write up of the fun time we had. In answer to a few comments:

The speakers are Wilson Benesch Curves. I've since upgraded to the Wilson Benesch Vectors.

First American Records was re-issuing LPs in the 1980's, mostly of European jazz recordings but also others. The owner placed an ad on Craigslist for 5 or 6 jazz master tapes. I went to his office and he played some sections on a consumer Teac deck through cheap bookshelf speakers. I asked him if I could audition them at home on my system and he said sure. I took them home and 3 or 4 (I can't remember) were fantastic. I returned, said I wanted to buy those, and asked if he had any more. He said yes, up in the loft of his warehouse. I went up there and he must have had over 500 tape albums. Thus began a year+ process of filling a box with a dozen or so tapes, taking them home, cherry picking the best, and repeating the process every month or so. About the time that I had gone through them all, he sold the remainder to someone who wanted to digitize them and post to iTunes. I've since added to the collection and, in addition to jazz and blues, have rock and some classical. Over 100 titles in all.

Wow, what an absolute windfall!

Much better than paying the $450/tape that seems to be the going rate for recorded material.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
In decades of testing and replacing fuses I had never seen one act this way.

I picked up a trio of reference pieces of HiFi gear at a bargain price from a respected HiFi store, which their 'senior technician' had declared were BER (beyond economical repair).

Apparently, the integrated amp 'had an open circuit primary'. How had he determined that? The primary fuse was fine (it looked perfectly good). It wasn't making contact under the cap. Wow, quality troubleshooting there...

The other two pieces? The D/A converter had a broken plastic actuator extension for the the power switch (I s#$t you not) and, wait for it, two loading belts for the transport.

AUD$12,000 worth (new in 1989) for $1k for all three pieces.

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
And, for your enjoyment, this is the actual 4A M205 fuse:

fuse_01 (Large).JPG

I kept it to remind me to never assume your eyes cannot deceive you..

fuse_02.JPG

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Looking again at John's awesome rig made me think,
I thought I was so KOOL back in the day with my Pioneer 707 R2R deck in the middle of my alter.
Can't believe I don't have a picture around of my own kit back then. :(
Laatsch55Mixtape2011011.jpg

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I still have an RT707 in a box. Thought I had it sold a few years ago but buyer backed out. Need to list it, somewhere...

John's rig is pretty amazing. Love to hear more of the stories behind the tapes.

Wish I had kept my old 1" Studer...

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I still have an RT707 in a box. Thought I had it sold a few years ago but buyer backed out. Need to list it, somewhere...
Just looked, quite a few on ebay for various prices.
Maybe get the best bucks from the crowd at Audiogon?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Yeh, looks like they go for $500 or more. Interesting because they can't play 15 ips which is the standard speed for modern audiophile tape recordings.
Pretty typical for decks that only held 7" reels back then. The RT 909 had 10.5" reels and 15ips, but a lot more money, then and now.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
The RT 909 had 10.5" reels and 15ips, but a lot more money, then and now

The RT-909 only did 7½ and 3¾IPS. (19/9.5cm/s). I've had several of them and moved them along to collectors. A great visual deck.

rt-909.JPG

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The RT-909 only did 7½ and 3¾IPS. (19/9.5cm/s). I've had several of them and moved them along to collectors. A great visual deck.
I stand corrected, another senior moment I guess. ;)

Top Bottom