• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

"Visit Qobuz for 50% off the entire Naxos label – sale ends June 5th"

Katji

Major Contributor
https://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/label/naxos/download-streaming-albums/322

1652707248585.png

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was not familiar with qobuz. Slumming around, I chose a record at random and found they are asking:

$16.99 for CD quality download.

$19.59 for 96K download.

$26.09 for 192K download.

I get that it's marketing. And I get the 'ninety nine cents'; you see that pricing convention all the time.

But what I don't get is why a 96K format would be fifty-nine cents over nineteen dollars. And for crying out loud, how do they come up with an extra nine cents, in addition to twenty-six dollars? I mean, if you are going to gouge, why not just round up?

OP
Katji

Katji

Major Contributor
I'm also not familiar with Qobuz, first time I've seen the website. Naxos email.
Those prices seem very high compared to Bandcamp, but that's a whole different thing. Probably Naxos itself is much less expensive.

PS: No, of course Naxos doesn't exist on Bandcamp. And if Google is supposed to know so much about me, why is the first page all about a Greek island. Learn something new each day. And why the Naxos logo is like the Delphi logo.

OP
Katji

Katji

Major Contributor
So I went to [buy online] ... page listing stores by country. USA - naxosdirect.com ... Gorecki...and others, all out of stock. Random pick - oh, right, they only sell CD. Ok, prestonmusic UK, a name I know. CD only.
Amazon is listed. Do they sell...would you trust them to...? ? ?
So. It means buy CDs and rip them yourself. Or trust Qobuz hi-res and pay.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've bought downloads from Presto. Naxos is always a good label for some unusual stuff--out of the mainstream.

The only reason I can think of that would make a 'hi-rez' download cost more is because you are using more of their server time inasmuch as the file is going to be larger. But not that much more, given the price differential.

And I still don't understand why something would be priced at twenty six dollars and nice cents. What an oddball figure.

OP
Katji

Katji

Major Contributor
Ok so Presto does do downloads/files.
Naxos, yeh, when I was buying classical CDs, Naxos was the go-to/default. Better price and good recordings/productions. ...I don't miss CDs but I miss going to the big CD shop after work. ...
The 9 cents thing, I guess it's just straight calculation, no adjustment for consistency. Silly.

REK2575

Apologies if I'm just stating the obvious: You can also just join Qobuz streaming service and thereby have access to all their *many* Naxos recordings, including all 192K High-res recordings. At $13/month. (And of course you also get access to the entire Qobuz library for that price, not just Naxos!)

Again, perhaps too obvious to need pointing out. (I still very occasionally buy CDs of 'must have in my own library' recordings, but those are the physical discs, not downloads.)

Jim Shaw

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
One man's experience with Qobuz:

I did a 'free trial' of Qobuz about a year ago, paying with Paypal. I was using Amazon HD Music Unlimited previously and continued that. I wouldn't say I liked the Qobuz UI much, and the stream quality seemed similar to my Amazon. So I canceled Qobuz on their website.

Yet the full price Qobuz charges kept being paid by Paypal. I contacted Paypal several times and they didn't even respond. I repeatedly contacted Qobuz, but their automated reply was that I had no account with them. A Catch 22...

Was I destined to pay Qobuz every month in perpetuity for nothing? It seems so. Finally, I had to have my bank refuse to pay Paypal. Paypal algorithms became angered. (But they stopped paying Qobuz.) This effectively stopped Qobuz payments and eventually canceled both my Paypal and Qobuz accounts.

That's how you may have to say no to Qobuz's trial offer. Caveat streamer.

-Just one man's view.

REK2575

@Jim Shaw -- that's a terrible experience, the kind of thing that would drive me crazy. I myself am a big fan of Qobuz (as my avatar probably gives away), but if I had gone through what you did, that would put me off the service for life. Does not speak well at all of their customer service (if you can even call it that) :(

@OP: it looks like you have to already be a Qobuz subscriber to get the 50% discount.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-05-17 111233.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-05-17 111233.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 35
OP
Katji

Katji

Major Contributor
That's like my problem with Avast anti-virus. Although the PayPal involvement I didn't know, that's bad news. ...Avast problem is that they have my credit card details. But last time the bank automatically stopped it anyway.
Same reason I stopped the process with Apple Music offer, when i got to the point of entering credit card details.

Last edited:
OP
Katji

Katji

Major Contributor
@OP: it looks like you have to already be a Qobuz subscriber to get the 50% discount.
Ohh, so. I was looking for that, but couldn't find it. First thing that came to mind when I saw the email.

Tom C

Major Contributor
I am a subscriber, and that first (and only) time I’ve heard of this is this thread. So, what’s up with that?

Top Bottom