• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Visaton Concorde MK3 room measurements (and eq questions)

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Did you take impedance measurements of the speaker after you've finished building it to see if everything matches the designer's measurements?

You don't expect a low Q 3dB drop in the midrange like that in most speakers.

Edit: did Visaton publish any measurements at all?

Edit 2: This is ROUGH.

concorde_mkiii_fs.GIF

Edit 3: I meant the impedance measurement, not the frequency response measurement.

Last edited:
OP
S

Slotenpiloot

Did you take impedance measurements of the speaker after you've finished building it to see if everything matches the designer's measurements?

You don't expect a low Q 3dB drop in the midrange like that in most speakers.

Edit: did Visaton publish any measurements at all?

Edit 2: This is ROUGH.

concorde_mkiii_fs.GIF
No i did not do any impedance measurements, and about visaton, is there a guide on how to on the forum? And yes they did publish measurements.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No i did not do any impedance measurements, and about visaton, is there a guide on how to on the forum? And yes they did publish measurements.

Impedance measurements are kinda necessary to make sure that whatever you have on hand matches what the designer built. I have never experienced such a low Q dip in the midrange in a domestic space before. Usually domestic rooms have a boost in that region and a null around 100Hz to 300Hz.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
To give you some prespective on how a flat speaker should measure in-room. Here are some measurements from my living room with the same scale you used in your original post.

1656874725734.png

OP
S

Slotenpiloot

Impedance measurements are kinda necessary to make sure that whatever you have on hand matches what the designer built. I have never experienced such a low Q dip in the midrange in a domestic space before. Usually domestic rooms have a boost in that region and a null around 100Hz to 300Hz.
Could it be that my settings for rew in combination with the test file are wrong?

Ill figure out how to do the readings, it might take some time because i have two really nice holiday trips planned :) :)

Thanks everyone for the help, its much appreciated!

OP
S

Slotenpiloot

Well i was only commenting on your very original measurement. This should not be effected with any EQ you may have placed.
I understand, but could it be that the measurement was made with the wrong settings?

OP
S

Slotenpiloot

I will try those once i get back from holiday, i cant do those tonight (my neighbors would probably kill me, and that would be quite detrimental to my listing experience)

Wouldnt it be the same as using as convolution filter though?

Note: i am completely new to this stuff so please bear with me :)

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Wouldnt it be the same as using as convolution filter though?
It’s technically different.

I think it’s also easier to get to grips with when you’re just starting out. With potentially very satisfying results as well.

Top Bottom