• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Visaton Concorde MK3 room measurements (and eq questions)

Slotenpiloot

Hi guys,

I recently completed building a pair of Visaton concorde MK3 speakers (well i.. Not really, LOTS and LOTS of help from others :) ) and i am really happy with the results, however the measurements in the lower ranges look kinda ****** to be honest. Is there any easy way to make improvments in this area? without resulting turning my living room in a studio. I have also measured the woofers with the mic nearly touching, this results in a smooth measurement, so i think the funky reading is because of the room and not the speaker.(all 4 woofers give exactly the same reading)

Left speaker.jpg

Picture above : Averaged response of 3 measurements of the left speaker, var smoothing.
Picture below: Averaged response 3 measurements of the right speaker, var smoothing.

Right speaker.jpg

I was thinking of applying a bit of eq to the peaks, would this be the correct way?
Speaker eq example.png

Below 2 pictures of the room/speakers.
Speaker 1.jpg
speaker 2.jpg

Sharpi31

Forum Donor
Looks like you have a Topping PA5….. that integrates very nicely with a Minidsp Flex balanced (with Dirac) ;-)

That’s where I’d go to address the in room response. Ideally also a thick rug and acoustic panels, but you have a very nice room so maybe acoustic treatment isn’t desirable.

OP
S

Slotenpiloot

Thanks, ill do that. We are busy redecorating the place, so we will probably get a carpet in the near future, i cant do that now because the floor is recently placed and no carpets are allowed in the next few weeks.

For Dsp i use a raspberry pi with volumio installed. But ill look into the minidsp.

OP
S

Slotenpiloot

Hi Guys,

I have been a bit busy so i dint have time to take more measurements, but i finaly did.. And ... 0 difference.. :(
I played around with some filters, and the only thing they seem to do is lower the whole section down instead of cutting off the peaks.

Red is without filter, purple is with a -7.8 Db filter at 42.5hz.

Any idea what to do or am i just using the program wrong? currently using FusionDSP through Volumio (raspberrypi)
Rew after eq.png

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like the EQ is not working. Why not test some EQ that is surely audible, low Q high dB difference, let’s say -12 dB at a .5 Q at 1kHz. Check if that is audible, and if it is measure it. That should confirm the EQ is actually functional.

Nicely build speaker btw! Congratulations!

OP
S

Slotenpiloot

Thanks!

Just tested it with a graphic equaliser within the same program(faster) the eq seems to be working but it only moves the area up and down, but it keeps the same shape, and doesnt actually fix things.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe try CamilaDSP plug-in? It’s far more versatile.

OP
S

Slotenpiloot

F2001587-1EF2-46DB-B79A-BC192DFE3BA3.png
I play the sweep through the dsp app on my phone, with the laptop with mic attached and setup to use a timing reference.

OP
S

Slotenpiloot

I used a -10Db till 1000hz on the blue one, no filter on the top. So the eq seems te be working, just not in the way that i want to. Is here a way to add my rew file to the post?
Rew EQ Test.png

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like FusionDSP already uses CamilaDSP in the background. It seems to support parametric EQ as well. Did you use that already?

Top Bottom