• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Virtual surround and other DSP spatial optimisers for headphones

OP
andreasmaaan

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
None are using the inverse algorithm. The normal ambiophonic routine is only a few dozen lines of c-code; the inverse routine simply negates the correction factor for each sample. Easy enough to write your own.

I can't code ;)

OP
andreasmaaan

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok, FYI I've also now given the TB Isone VST a go and found it to provide a nicer effect overall (less disturbing changes to tonal balance and more subtle spatial effects). However, as @maverickronin warned, the effect is very subtle, no matter how much I played around with the settings.

The main effect seemed to be to give the recordings a more spacious, roomy feel (I think this was mostly due to the addition of reflections/comb filter). The overall effect was nice, but did very little to get the sound out of my head.

Gonna keep experimenting...

A

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok, FYI I've also now given the TB Isone VST a go and found it to provide a nicer effect overall (less disturbing changes to tonal balance and more subtle spatial effects). However, as @maverickronin warned, the effect is very subtle, no matter how much I played around with the settings.

If you haven't tried it yet, check the instructions for calibrating it to yourself on page 14 of the manual. If you're close enough to the standard HRTF model you should be able to hear the virtual speaker move up/down and side to side.

mindbomb

I don't know if I'm lucky, but I tend to have good results with a variety of different virtual surround sound algorithms. I even found binaural recordings made on a miniDSP EARS (which lacks a head) to be convincing.

I think in general, you have to use them for a couple of days before you get used to it.

OP
andreasmaaan

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you haven't tried it yet, check the instructions for calibrating it to yourself on page 14 of the manual. If you're close enough to the standard HRTF model you should be able to hear the virtual speaker move up/down and side to side.

Oh nice to know, thanks. Will give it a second go :)

JP

Major Contributor
Perfect resurrection; my three-year-late A16 arrived week before last.

JP

Major Contributor
Haven't played with it yet. I've been using an A8 at my desk for years. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the A16 as I've really no need for it.

W1ll1eTheP1mp

Haven't played with it yet. I've been using an A8 at my desk for years. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the A16 as I've really no need for it.

Wow.. I wish i was in your position! Im dreaming of a A8 or A16..

If you dont have space for it, i will happily take it! Haha. :):) ... A Realiser is a life goal for me!

Top Bottom