• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Virtual Reality Headsets

Raindog123

Major Contributor
What do you get here:

(Personally, I‘ve never played Sniper Elite of any kind. But my understanding is that the VR is not an option for any/every game in the franchise, but rather a dedicated VR “excursion”/episode. Like Half-Life:Alyx is a dedicated VR chapter in the Half-Life story.)

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What do you get here:

(Personally, I‘ve never played Sniper Elite of any kind. But my understanding is that the VR is not an option for any/every game in the franchise, but rather a dedicated VR “excursion”/episode.)
Ahhh... a separate game. I checked at Steam and it has horrible reviews. From beginning to end it was bad reviews. Speaking of reviews the Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon® Wildlands FPS/3rd person shooter game is going well... 39.2 hours in... there are simply places I don't go now... Too dangerous... :D

OP
fordiebianco

fordiebianco

Forum Donor
Oculus Quest 2 (or Rift S, if you’re willing to go a secondary market route).

Valve Index is the best spec-wise, but also the most expensive.

(And what’s that keyboard in a VR set idea!? You can have full VR experience while comfortably sitting on a couch, most of the time! :) )
Don't you have to register with Facebook for the Oculus range?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Don't you have to register with Facebook for the Oculus range?

Maybe yes.

They know me as Faik Ak Kount (and whatever else they have decided to associate with the account).

1650014186171.png

I have no friends, and no interests, and no whatever else you can have.

The picture is how I would imagine The Fonz would look if he stepped over to the dark side.

I registered the account after forgetting the password to Arfen Barf,

1650014073941.png

around the time of their IPO, when they were trumpeting their efforts to eliminate Fake Accounts.

Having to create a FB account is not the end of the world.

And then I had one ready to use to enable the Oculus Quest 2 I use with my only VR application, Condor 2.

Last edited:

Unground

Similar position here. I grew up with Atari VCS, my mate's Spectrum, C64 and BBC Micro, then my own Amiga, through various consoles and now to PC. Bought my son a Quest2 last Christmas and I'm really impressed. I'd probably play it more if he didn't hog it all the time. I recommend it as a way to, at the least, see if VR is for you at low cost and with zero hassle.

We'll probably upgrade to a better solution at some point but right now my son's having a ball both by himself and online with others. Some of the games require a lot of physical exertion too so it gets him moving. And he can stream to the telly quite easily so we can watch if we (or more likely he...) wants. Also, games like Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes are a hoot with one person on the VR and family/friends assisting offline.

We took a bit of a gamble, and we had to swallow the FB account requirement (is there still one?) but it's been a bigger hit than we ever expected.

Last edited:
OP
fordiebianco

fordiebianco

Forum Donor
Thank you all for your help. The new Oculus is on the way. Will feed back once I have given it a whirl.

RHO

Major Contributor
I'm not a gamer at al. Never played any serieus games ever. But for some "medical" reasons I like to train my reflexes.
As is maybe obvious by being a memeber of this site I like music. So my brother lend me his Oculus Rift and I started playing Beatsaber and Ragnarock.
To my surprise it does help with the "issues" I have with my reflexes. And I do enjoy it too.
Not really interested in other games ... but those two are surprisingly fun to play.

Lambda

Major Contributor
they can’t demand it to be a “socially active” FB account… :)
they can do what ever they want. (and put in there end user agreement.)
They can also lock your account and "there" hardware connected to it if you don’t follow there rules.

Having to create a FB account is not the end of the world.
But accepting to buy hardware you can only uses online if and as long as they let you is the end of ownership.

fordiebianco

I would say having accurate and fast (head) tracking is the most important thing.
Then FPS, then Field of view and resolution.

From my experience the Valve lighthouses tracking is by far the best.
I have never experienced any HMD with "enough" FPS or resolution.
"the technology just isn't there yet" (for me)

RHO

Major Contributor
Check SuperHot. Might also help your reflex exercise… while being simple and fun. :)
I'll check it out.
I think I've tried it before, but not sure anymore.

Edit: Looked it up and ... not really good for my confidence... I think I got really frustrated. Maybe now that I have trained a little with beatsaber and Ragnarock this one will go better too.

RHO

Major Contributor
SuperHot is a great VR game and can definitely help with reflex exercise. Don't worry if you got frustrated the first time you tried it; it takes some practice to get the hang of it.
Currently playing In Death unchained a lot. Enemies teleporting all over the place tests my reflexes plenty. One badly aimed arrow can let all hell (heaven actually) break loose. Lots of fun!

Top Bottom