• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Virtual Oscilloscope vs Digital Oscilloscope

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The problem would be calibration of measured input versus actual voltage. If you just deal with relative values, then sure, you can do that.

Also, make sure you don't try to measure anything with high frequencies like squarewaves and such. The sound card will not have the bandwidth to sample those correctly.

On the other hand, you get far better resolution for audio than any scope. The ADCs are usually 8 bits due to need to run at super high speeds.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
The problem would be calibration of measured input versus actual voltage. If you just deal with relative values, then sure, you can do that.

Also, make sure you don't try to measure anything with high frequencies like squarewaves and such. The sound card will not have the bandwidth to sample those correctly.

On the other hand, you get far better resolution for audio than any scope. The ADCs are usually 8 bits due to need to run at super high speeds.

I'm thinking specifically of trying it for RTR tape head alignment.

Fernand

An extension of the all in one phone, computer, TV, bidet and eavesdropper. I was talking to customer support recently, and said I'd have to go look for my phone where I'd stored the serial number. Actually got up to go look when I realized I was talking on the very device. Like looking for the glasses you're wearing.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I'm thinking specifically of trying it for RTR tape head alignment

You can do that.

Do you have a proper calibration tape or a reference machine? Otherwise, depending on the type of RTR, the number and placement of heads, you can go down a hole very fast.

Chris Prosser

I went through this decision myself and I ended up with a Siglent 1104X-E. The benefits over the rigol is two ADCs so you can get 50MS/S with 3-4 channels. Protocol decode works on more than what is visible on the screen. It’s got a faster CPU so screen refreshes are faster, and has a full web UI in it with a decent update rate. With the discount code from EEVBlog was $469, so more than the Rigol, but not an obnoxious amount more. It’s hackable to 200MHz.

Also, one advantage the standalone scopes have over the Picoscope is they handle a wider input voltage. Given that the Siglent was cheaper than the closest picoscope, and I really like lots of buttons and knobs...

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds1104x-e-in-depth-review/

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
You can do that.

Do you have a proper calibration tape or a reference machine? Otherwise, depending on the type of RTR, the number and placement of heads, you can go down a hole very fast.

Yes, I have one of those ludicrously expensive calibration tapes.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
An extension of the all in one phone, computer, TV, bidet and eavesdropper. I was talking to customer support recently, and said I'd have to go look for my phone where I'd stored the serial number. Actually got up to go look when I realized I was talking on the very device. Like looking for the glasses you're wearing.

I've 100% done the same thing.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm thinking of making that Rigol a Christmas present to myself...

I've never used a 'scope before though. Any tutorials or intros for that kind of thing?

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I've never used an 'scope before though. Any tutorials or intros for that kind of thing?
There are tons of them on Youtube. I just looked and this one is pretty nice:

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are tons of them on Youtube. I just looked and this one is pretty nice:

I guess they're all similar enough then? I poke around on YT some more then. Thanks.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I guess they're all similar enough then? I poke around on YT some more then. Thanks.

Interestingly, back in the day, they were actually sold as hi-fi components, or built into them as features:

maxresdefault.jpg

marantz-4400-left.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

skrekk

At $1800 currently this is a lot more expensive than the other scopes under discussion but it works a lot better than the Rigols I've tried and is more reliable than my much more expensive LeCroy. They do have other variants which are just scopes rather than MSOs.
https://www.linkinstruments.com/mso92.html

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I'm thinking of making that Rigol a Christmas present to myself...

Contact TE equipment, they do me fabulous deals on test gear. I know they've done some crazy deals on the Rigols recently with extra memory/features and extra probes/bnc adapters etc.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The menu structure is different on Rigol but the basics of how to use a digital scope is identical to what is shown in that video.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
What operating system do you use the Picoscope with?
I'm using my PicoScope 2204A with Win10 and OS Sierra & High Sierra & Mojave, but work on Linux too. Not having any issues from 3-4 years now. I had it plugged directly into the 230V outlet by mistake (I want it to measure the harmonics on a 230V to 120V AC-AC converter) and it didn't blow up or anything. I highly recommend PicoScope if you want an USB scope, as they have the same software for all their scopes, no matter the price range.

I've used a Tek before, I never thought I can adapt to USB scopes, but everything went well in couple of days, PicoScope's interface was quite friendly to me. :) A standalone scope needs no additional laptop or desktop + screen and the real buttons are a blessing. It takes less time to setup this type of scopes than an USB one and the real buttons/knobs are more visible.

Besides the lower price, the other advantage of the USB scope over a stand-alone scope would be the ability of using PrintScreen instantly, crop your image and do your thing within seconds. Of course, on today stand-alone digital scopes you can do screenshots on the local memory and later use the USB connection to copy the screenshots.

When measuring stuffs with PicoScope 2204A I'm always using a laptop running on battery, because this relatively cheap scope is not isolated. Also, I never connect my DUT equipment on the same laptop as the scope!

BTW, why don't you use existing ADI-2 with RMAA and ARTA? Also, there are applications for software scopes as well:
https://www.zeitnitz.eu/scope_en
https://windowsreport.com/oscilloscope-software-pc-laptop/
http://www.zelscope.com/
https://www.instructables.com/id/Use-Your-Laptop-as-Oscilloscope/ (that guy created a resistive divider so the soundcard accept more than 2V RMS on its inputs)
http://www.zen22142.zen.co.uk/Prac/winscope.htm
https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-best-oscilloscope-software-for-PC-windows-7
https://www.analog.com/en/analog-di...pc-sound-card-into-sampling-oscilloscope.html
https://www.electronicdesign.com/te...ference-between-12-bit-and-8-bit-oscilloscope

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
BTW, why don't you use existing ADI-2 with RMAA and ARTA?

As far as I know, RMAA and ARTA don't work on a Mac.

Also, for RTR tape head alignment, I don't think they have the right functions (i.e. they're not scopes).

But I'll check out the other links.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Contact TE equipment, they do me fabulous deals on test gear. I know they've done some crazy deals on the Rigols recently with extra memory/features and extra probes/bnc adapters etc.

I'll check that out, thanks.

The menu structure is different on Rigol but the basics of how to use a digital scope is identical to what is shown in that video.

Cool. I'll look up some more videos.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Besides the lower price, the other advantage of the USB scope over a stand-alone scope would be the ability of using PrintScreen instantly, crop your image and do your thing within seconds. Of course, on today stand-alone digital scopes you can do screenshots on the local memory and later use the USB connection to copy the screenshots.
With my Tektronix scope, I can connect to it using ethernet and and web browser. It will then completely mirror what is on the screen of the scope so that kind of cut and paste is a lot better than using USB thumb drives.

Reactions: trl

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Annoyingly, the response lag over VNC to our newest Tek SX 'scopes is very long... The old DX models were much faster. Working live, the SX is much, much faster for things like screen updates and files saves so hopefully just growing pains.

I looked at a few DSOs over the past year but have not purchased. Rigol is currently throwing in some SW bundles with their 1054, selling for around $375 as of last night, and seems to be a front-runner. I am old-school and like the knobs (yes, I have used USB, VXI, and other virtual models -- we bought the little add-on box to give knobs and switches to our expensive Tek SX 'scopes at work so I am not alone). I looked at Siglent but user feedback is pretty poor relative to Rigol. I waffle between one of them , a Picoprobe, or one of the Keysight or Tek DSOs I am used to, but always get hung up on what I want vs. what I need and the prices (which go up quickly if you want more bandwidth than 100 MHz or so). I've been too spoiled by the high-end 'scopes at work I've been using for... a long time. ;) If I win PowerBall maybe I could get a $500k+ 'scope but I don't play, sooo...

I found a nifty "wideband" current sensor that would be really cool to use with a 'scope to measure power going into a speaker. Always sort of wondered about that. I'll have to find the link and goad/prod King AMir into getting one -- he needs another toy! :D

Top Bottom