• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Vinyl science - according to BBC

Leporello

fieldcar

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I constantly see crap like this in my Google news feed. I would just reference the sampling theorem video from Manny of xiph.org, but this BS doesn't deserve our time and effort. We are not going to change these subjectivists' minds anytime soon.

Last edited:

bobbooo

Major Contributor
Does it sound better than an MP3? Absolutely – vinyl wins this one hands down.

More bull. A 320kbps mp3 will sound better than vinyl, not covering all your music in cracks, pops, noise and distortion.

Here are all the 'articles' by the author, Verity Burns - hilariously ironic that her name means 'truth' :D. And here's her Twitter if anyone wants to correct her on her nonsense.

Espousing shite about cables too:
For analogue cables, like speaker wires or interconnects, there is more evidence to suggest they can have some impact on sound, if you have a system transparent enough to hear it. Until then, spending on other areas of your setup first is likely to create a bigger impact – though included freebie cables are always worth upgrading.

No, in the vast majority of cases, they're not, and 'upgrading' cables will provide zero audible benefit.

Last edited:

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
More bull. A 320kbps mp3 will sound better than vinyl, not covering all your music in cracks, pops, noise and distortion.

Here are all the 'articles' by the author, Verity Burns - hilariously ironic that her name means 'truth' :D. And here's her Twitter if anyone wants to correct her on her nonsense.

Espousing shite about cables too:

No, in the vast majority of cases, they're not, and 'upgrading' cables will provide zero audible benefit.

EDIT: I've written her on twitter offering a friendly correction. Will see if she responds...

Last edited:

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
EDIT: I've written her on twitter offering a friendly correction. Will see if she responds...
I fear the response will be a doubling down on the ignorance, the whole article looks like a cut and paste job from elsewhere.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
With vinyl, every single part of the analogue wave is captured in those grooves, making it the only true lossless format.
Apart from the low bass which is mono and rolled off, important as this is still part of the audible spectrum, where as digital rolls of the top end above the audible spectrum, and Nyquist Shannon ensures the rest is accurate. This is before the chaos of cutting or playback. So many lies, so little time to correct them.

Robin L

Master Contributor
One more time---LPs [any spiral groove] lose energy the closer to the spindle. For most LPs the reduction in fidelity is around 60% by the time you reach the end of a side. It's gradual, so people hypnotize themselves into believing "everything's fine" but it always results in an increase in audible distortion. Forget about the niceities of Sinad, this stuff's in your face.

StefaanE

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain...

tomtoo

Major Contributor
There are so many reasons why this is bullshitt. Its realy hard to finde a beginning.Maybe harder than to place the needel on a single. ;)

Top Bottom