• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Vinyl madness

TBone

Major Contributor
No, you can use whatever "noise" you require in order to achieve the results. I prefer using a dynamically compressed CD for this very function, because generally, they are consistently bass-heavy.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
If you look at the picture, the phone is sitting on the platter.
WTF do they still call them phones when they do everything else but. :p

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
To that end, I DIY, and use premium parts. A single blank can well exceed $500, each individual silicone carbide eye is expensive (and many are required), top quality cork doesn't come cheap, and the time needed to acquire, learn, build such a beast can be both frustrating & extensive. Time well wasted I guess, or perhaps I'm just nuts, hell, I keep repeating this process as new discovered applications demand.

Does that mean you won't hang with me and my Popeil Pocket Fisherman? :(
PocketFisherman1.JPG

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not certain that story is as funny as it is sad.

A turntable should be setup to minimize vibrations from the speakers when playing (but when ripping, it makes far more sense to use headphones).

Unlike the old days of wondering ... today a simple app can help determine how much vibration is arriving from speakers to platter ...
View attachment 14821

Not sad IMO if you acknowledge that you prefer it because of the distortion. Truly sad would be insisting that it was somehow superior fidelity due to <insert unmeasurable pseudoscience explanation here>.

Great tip about the smartphone app accelerometer! Will look into that for sure.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Not sad IMO if you acknowledge that you prefer it because of the distortion. Truly sad would be insisting that it was somehow superior fidelity due to <insert unmeasurable pseudoscience explanation here>.

Great tip about the smartphone app accelerometer! Will look into that for sure.

I fall in the 'cognizant distortion' camp when it comes to vinyl.

I find digital to be superior at reproduction, but vinyl to have a certain je n'ais se quoi when it comes to recreation.

Don Hills

Addicted to Fun and Learning
No, you can use whatever "noise" you require in order to achieve the results. I prefer using a dynamically compressed CD for this very function, because generally, they are consistently bass-heavy.

Back before CDs, we used to put the stylus down on a stationary disc and record it on a cassette recorder, while playing a cassette on another deck through the speakers. Then listen to the recording. Hours of fun, experimenting with damping of platters and suspensions, stone slabs under the turntable, dust cover up vs down etc.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Back before CDs, we used to put the stylus down on a stationary disc and record it on a cassette recorder, while playing a cassette on another deck through the speakers. Then listen to the recording. Hours of fun, experimenting with damping of platters and suspensions, stone slabs under the turntable, dust cover up vs down etc.

That's genius!

What did it sound like?

Don Hills

That's genius!

What did it sound like?

Mostly bass, due to the RIAA curve. The rest of the frequency range was fairly muffled, and often had some echo. A bit like hearing a system playing in another room. The objective was to be able to play at high volume for parties without feedback. I had a bigger problem than most of my friends, I was (and still am) a bit of a basshead and I had 15" Altecs in refrigerator size cabinets. We also went to some trouble to isolate the turntable stands from floor vibration, for example stacking bricks under the floorboards and driving in wedges, or hanging the turntable from wall brackets.

tomelex

Forum Donor
when I recorded record output form my preamp to 24/96 digital recorder (no speakers playing) and played back from digital recorder (via headphones) I could not reliably distinguish one from the other and from that time on I was fine with digital at 24/96 for my hearing.

Wombat

Master Contributor
When does obsessiveness cross the line into madness? 26229877_10214860054752113_3756063413641277765_n.jpg

TBone

Major Contributor

Well, those certainly were the days, too many saga's involving late hours ... but hours of fun as a youth soon turned into hours of frustration later.

I can safely say there is not a snowballs chance in hell that I could setup a suspension based turntable properly without using my S3 as a tool.
As an example, not that many years ago: attempting to get that right bounce (very tricky stuff) out of a suspension was hit or miss. Drag the table to the work bench, smack it around somewhat, finally thinking it acts per expectation, drag it back into the system, hope it works sonically and hope it doesn't drift ...

Rather sit the S3 on a platter, excite the turntable a little, hit a button, and get instant data confirming setup.

TBone

Major Contributor
-Adjusting VTF according to ambient temp

well, one could argue that VTF is the only thing that should change during ongoing setup, and considering the ambient temp in my place can vary quit a bit depending on season ...

(Even in the Nagoaka guide, they say that VTF and temp are important)

TBone

Major Contributor
Does that mean you won't hang with me and my Popeil Pocket Fisherman? :(

Nah, luv to fish with you and in Florida again ... and if your Pockey Fisherman is a saltwater model, we may need 2. The last time I made the mistake of taking some of my fresh-water gear to fish the southern ocean - much of it rusted within hours.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Rather obsess over a hobby than obsessively whine about it.

TBone, My post #52 in this thread:

1. was a play on the thread title.

2 was not directed at you.

3. was not a reply to any of your posts.

4. your name did not come into it.

The response and the name-calling was unwarrented. e417.png

Last edited:

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
well, one could argue that VTF is the only thing that should change during ongoing setup, and considering the ambient temp in my place can vary quit a bit depending on season ...

(Even in the Nagoaka guide, they say that VTF and temp are important)

Acknowledging it is real is one thing, but actually doing the adjusting is another.

I don't.

There comes a point where further fiddling just sucks away from listening time.

Top Bottom