• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Vinyl is not as bad as I expected.

JRS

Major Contributor
The logic of needledrops befuddles me. People who generally don’t like digital sources use digital recordings to compare analog sources? I admit I don’t get it.
I have often wondered (and perhaps it has been tried) is to generate an IR of the cartridge/arm/TT/RIAA eq and simply convolve with the digital recording and see whether the analog bliss is present. I have certainly listened to FLAC recordings on You Tube of favorite albums played back through HI-Rez gear. Left me unmoved, but I can't rule out that there was something amiss in the process.

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
Vinyl has a maximum dynamic range of 70 db and Redbook CD 96 db max. Uncompressed music is somewhat rare so it is a given most stuff we get is nowhere near these ranges. If the recording engineer does a good job on the master recording then our listening experience can be enhanced. Maybe - depending on the music - a little compression helps. We had a professional recording engineer come to one of our audio club meetings maybe 15 years ago. He brought some remarkable uncompressed Redbook recordings with him - mostly classical with some jazz. Showed off the $30K microphones he used to record the performances. Pretty impressive music to experience. Still, it is understandable to apply some compression to enhance the particular music in question. I suspect in many cases even if the recording process nails it uncompressed the system doing the playback is not up to the task. Unless you have very efficient speakers capable of large undistorted swings your amplifier peak power requirements can be extraordinarily high. So maybe you don't need large dynamic range in many cases. So perhaps 60 db dynamic range on vinyl is plenty in most cases. A good recording is always a good recording regardless of playback format. CD playback is cheap compared to vinyl. Vinyl has more variables to deal with. Turntable - bearings, motor drive choices, speed accuracy, tonearm and cartridge synergy, and cartridge alignment to name a few. If you like playing with these things it can be a real joy to set up. Once set up - unless you are prone to changing cartridges a lot - you can spend the next 1000 listening hours wearing out your stylus. It is a process - how practical is a choice. For me it is fun and the listening experience puts my mind at ease. (My digital system does this also - just a different process)

JRS

Major Contributor
Which high end professional loudspeakers with flat frequency and phase response are you referring to? Has Amir measured any yet?

Home 'correction' of loudspeakers and rooms via DSP is over a decade old at this point. Products in that area range from simple to complex.
More like three decades since the Meridian DSP/active was released.

PeteL

Major Contributor
The funny thing is that I'd quickly opine that the LP sounds different (as opposed to better or worse) relative to a CD made from the same source material... but that's a whole can of worms, too, isn't it? :)
Could it be argued that « same source material » do not mean same mastering? Even if the reel to reel tapes are just transfered unprocessed, which is rare, could it be argued that the simple transfer from one medium to the next is also part of what constitue mastering? It’s not made with the same electronic chain, without the same physical restrrictions. I also think they never fully sound the same but is there really such a thing as a digital « original master » ? Just thinking out loud even if a cd is theoretically capable of reproducinh 100% of what has been cut to vynil, I do feel that if the output where to be rerecorded, the two files would not be the same, further more than with vinyl, different cartridges and tables already sound different between them. So in the end, even if the mastering is claimed to have been left untouched. you are not listening to the same thing.

Newman

Major Contributor
Vinyl has a maximum dynamic range of 70 db and Redbook CD 96 db max.

The misleading part of that comparison is that the vinyl number is largely a theoretical maximum, and the CD number is almost entirely practical.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Could it be argued that « same source material » do not mean same mastering? Even if the reel to reel tapes are just transfered unprocessed, which is rare, could it be argued that the simple transfer from one medium to the next is also part of what constitue mastering? It’s not made with the same electronic chain, without the same physical restrrictions. I also think they never fully sound the same but is there really such a thing as a digital « original master » ? Just thinking out loud even if a cd is theoretically capable of reproducinh 100% of what has been cut to vynil, I do feel that if the output where to be rerecorded, the two files would not be the same, further more than with vinyl, different cartridges and tables already sound different between them. So in the end, even if the mastering is claimed to have been left untouched. you are not listening to the same thing.
Round about way of saying the whole analog disk chain is not capable of even consistent fidelity. Various tables etc vary from each other much more so than various bits of digital gear.

Newman

Major Contributor

PeteL

Major Contributor
Round about way of saying the whole analog disk chain is not capable of even consistent fidelity. Various tables etc vary from each other much more so than various bits of digital gear.
Yes, of course. but my point is that what’s consistent in all that, it consistently don’t sound the same. Mastering in vinyl days was quite an art, and for the mastering engineers of the time where doing their thing toward a work of art. that was to be enjoyed on that medium, and it could sound very good with proper « hifi » gear of the time. When listening the same work transfered to digital, it don’t sound the same. what you are experiencing can sound very good, but there is no such thing as « objectively sounding better ». Obviously more high fidelity, yes, but fidel to what? That would be fidel to what the artist wanted you to hear no? When you can demonstrate that there is difference, rigorously there can also be preference.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
even if a cd is theoretically capable of reproducinh 100% of what has been cut to vynil,
(yes I probably am cutting this quote out of context, sorry)
Of course a CD is practically capable of reproducing 100% of what has been cut to vinyl. It's also capable of much more - there's no need to mono the bass any more, or reduce sibilants, or modify the high frequencies, or reduce dynamics, all of which has had to be done to any LP cut since time immemorial just to allow the stylus to stay in the groove.

Reduce dynamics, I hear some of you ask... yes. While the "overall DR" of a track on LP might show as higher than the CD, passages with high energy will still be reduced, to stop the stylus bouncing out of the groove and there's no need to worry about that with digital.

So it's pretty likely that the LP will be different from the master tape in ways a digital copy won't be.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, of course. but my point is that what’s consistent in all that, it consistently don’t sound the same. Mastering in vinyl days was quite an art, and for the mastering engineers of the time where doing their thing toward a work of art. that was to be enjoyed on that medium, and it could sound very good with proper « hifi » gear of the time. When listening the same work transfered to digital, it don’t sound the same. what you are experiencing can sound very good, but there is no such thing as « objectively sounding better ». Obviously more high fidelity, yes, but fidel to what? That would be fidel to what the artist wanted you to hear no? When you can demonstrate that there is difference, rigorously there can also be preference.
So much "mastering" was simply to work around the limitations of vinyl. In fact that is what invented mastering. You had to alter the tape source so it could produce a master disk. And the input to most mastering was just whatever the mastering engineer thought best.

As to transferring to digital, if you mean digital copies of LP's, you'll not be able to hear a difference. If you are referring to old albums released in digital then it likely will be different.

Many years back I and friends put together a collection of albums we had on early CD, pre-recorded RTR and LP. The surprising and overwhelming conclusion we all agreed upon was generally CD and RTR sounded very similar in balance and character. LP was in every case an obvious odd man out with a different sound. Whether you preferred it or not the LP medium produces coloration of whatever is input into it.

PeteL

Major Contributor
So much "mastering" was simply to work around the limitations of vinyl. In fact that is what invented mastering. You had to alter the tape source so it could produce a master disk. And the input to most mastering was just whatever the mastering engineer thought best.

As to transferring to digital, if you mean digital copies of LP's, you'll not be able to hear a difference. If you are referring to old albums released in digital then it likely will be different.

Many years back I and friends put together a collection of albums we had on early CD, pre-recorded RTR and LP. The surprising and overwhelming conclusion we all agreed upon was generally CD and RTR sounded very similar in balance and character. LP was in every case an obvious odd man out with a different sound. Whether you preferred it or not the LP medium produces coloration of whatever is input into it.
There is no doubt about the superiority of digital reproduction. That's sorted, but if we forget that for a second, just for kicks and we talk art for a second. Mastering engineers of the time, had to make up for the limitations of the medium. Yes, the form it would take was influenced by that and they where hoping to reach some people with superior gear to be able to get the experience as close as possible.

Fast Forward 2021. The mastering engineers still hope that a small percentage get to experience their full work. But at the same time has to make sure their work will somehow translate in 1 cm smartphones speakers, 5$ Bluetooth speakers, laptops, etc.

If we forget digital vs analog for a second, what of those two scenario is more likely to compromise your vision, your art.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
There is no doubt about the superiority of digital reproduction. That's sorted, but if we forget that for a second, just for kicks and we talk art for a second. Mastering engineers of the time, had to make up for the limitations of the medium. Yes, the form it would take was influenced by that and they where hoping to reach some people with superior gear to be able to get the experience as close as possible.

Fast Forward 2021. The mastering engineers still hope that a small percentage get to experience their full work. But at the same time has to make sure their work will somehow translate in 1 cm smartphones speakers, 5$ Bluetooth speakers, laptops, etc.

If we forget digital vs analog for a second, what of those two scenario is more likely to compromise your vision, your art.
Earlier mastering guys had to have it translate over 5 inch or 6x9 car speakers with maybe 2 wpc, or little mono earphones on pocket transistor radios. Or alarm clock tabletop radios or other small audio devices. So no big difference vs now.

I also doubt many of them were hoping to reach some people with superior gear. Most wanted it to sound cool on cars and pocket radios or juke boxes so they had a hit on their resume. Too much revisionist history going on in the mind of many audiophiles.

Bottom line is the LP medium is more colored than RTR, FM radio, digital, and probably even cassette tape. Why the reverence of one of the worst though popular mediums I don't understand. It isn't as bad as you might expect, and it can sound enjoyable. More than anything back in the day it was the cheapest most convenient way to distribute music. RTR was too expensive and far too inconvenient for mass market. I've considered the LP to be the MP3 of its day. It succeeded on price and convenience in spite of its problems, not because of them.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Earlier mastering guys had to have it translate over 5 inch or 6x9 car speakers with maybe 2 wpc, or little mono earphones on pocket transistor radios. Or alarm clock tabletop radios or other small audio devices. So no big difference vs now.

I also doubt many of them were hoping to reach some people with superior gear. Most wanted it to sound cool on cars and pocket radios or juke boxes so they had a hit on their resume. Too much revisionist history going on in the mind of many audiophiles.

Bottom line is the LP medium is more colored than RTR, FM radio, digital, and probably even cassette tape. Why the reverence of one of the worst though popular mediums I don't understand. It isn't as bad as you might expect, and it can sound enjoyable. More than anything back in the day it was the cheapest most convenient way to distribute music. RTR was too expensive and far too inconvenient for mass market. I've considered the LP to be the MP3 of its day. It succeeded on price and convenience in spite of its problems, not because of them.
You bring some good point, but no, no mastering engineers worthy of that name whether they are Hit oriented or not, only care about reaching the mass and don't care of all the subtelties Hi fidelity brings. None. Also no reproduction systems of the time was rolling off at about 400Hz like a phone speaker does.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You bring some good point, but no, no mastering engineers worthy of that name whether they are Hit oriented or not, only care about reaching the mass and don't care of all the subtelties Hi fidelity brings. None. Also no reproduction systems of the time was rolling off at about 400Hz like a phone speaker does.
You think this baby had heavy low end response and sparkling highs from its 3 inch full range paper speaker? These GE's or similar Zeniths were everywhere at one time I mean just everywhere.
1634177030308.png

And if you were young or wanted portable music, which of course everyone did, maybe you'd have one of these pocket transistor radios which also were just everywhere at the time. Complete with 1 and 3/4 inch speaker.
proxy-image

PeteL

Major Contributor
You think this baby had heavy low end response and sparkling highs from its 3 inch full range paper speaker? These GE's or similar Zeniths were everywhere at one time I mean just everywhere.
View attachment 158884
And if you were young or wanted portable music, which of course everyone did, maybe you'd have one of these pocket transistor radios which also were just everywhere at the time. Complete with 1 and 3/4 inch speaker.
proxy-image
Got you, I agree I was the one taking this side track, ok yes the masters where also tested trough shit boxes, I give it to you. But people actually buying vinyls where listening trough good (for the time) audio system. That’s all I’m saying. There was people that cared abouut fidelity and good sound.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Got you, I agree I was the one taking this side track, ok yes the masters where also tested trough shit boxes, I give it to you. But people actually buying vinyls where listening trough good (for the time) audio system. That’s all I’m saying. There was people that cared abouut fidelity and good sound.
No, they weren't. You are missing part of what I'm describing. Records were popular because they were cheap, and convenient above all else at the time. The tremendous overwhelming majority of the LP buying public has an all in one multi-disc player or maybe an actual separate, but low quality TT feeding an all in one console stereo or maybe even the big home stereo furniture consoles with a record player built into them.

Just as now, the people with a quality for the time stereo and those buying LPs were a tiny niche of the market. People really into quality would have a good TT for the convenience and ubiquity of the LP and 45 rpm disks. The real source for those people were reel to reel tapes. At a time when LP's were somewhere between 99 cents and $1.99. RTR tapes with music on them were $15 or more (equivalent to $130-140 in today's money). Speaking of the 1960's here.

PeteL

Major Contributor
No, they weren't. You are missing part of what I'm describing. Records were popular because they were cheap, and convenient above all else at the time. The tremendous overwhelming majority of the LP buying public has an all in one multi-disc player or maybe an actual separate, but low quality TT feeding an all in one console stereo or maybe even the big home stereo furniture consoles with a record player built into them.

Just as now, the people with a quality for the time stereo and those buying LPs were a tiny niche of the market. People really into quality would have a good TT for the convenience and ubiquity of the LP and 45 rpm disks. The real source for those people were reel to reel tapes. At a time when LP's were somewhere between 99 cents and $1.99. RTR tapes with music on them were $15 or more (equivalent to $130-140 in today's money). Speaking of the 1960's here.
Yep, audiophiles where a niche then as they are a niche now. Not all audiophile now purchase DSD content. Not all audiophiles then purchased reel to reel. Matter of dedication, money and many more factors. Audiophile just means caring about good sound.

Newman

Major Contributor
People really into quality would have a good TT for the convenience and ubiquity of the LP and 45 rpm disks. The real source for those people were reel to reel tapes.
Rich guy feeding his R2R:-
1634181648475.jpeg

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
You couldn't master from the same source if you wanted to get the best possible results from both media. The master for the vinyl lathe needs to be fairly severely compromised to not cause issues with the cutting gear.

Top Bottom