• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Vinyl down . . . Streaming up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Analog Scott

Limiting yourself as in sticking to a physical SACD rather than doing what you do..

PCM dvd , DVD-Audio is PCM or LPCM is it not? Iv got a few of those knocking about, presumably a fair few made it off physical media and can be down loaded or indeed one can rip them like you do with your SACD’s so sticking with a SACD player might limit one ( maybe one wants to enjoy some concerts other than classical in surround , shock horror)

But who knows, I’m not sure why you think I was saying your example was limiting tbh.

Physical SACD is limited though, it makes no sense to me for it to be a expanding market and Iv seen no sign of it being so.
http://www.elusivedisc.com/Browse-all-SACDs/products/905/
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/searches?t...dia&term.submedia=1&term.media_format=&q=sacd
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/searches?t...ia&term.submedia=10&term.media_format=&q=sacd
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/searches?t..._use=media_submedia&term.media_format=&q=sacd
http://www.hmv.com.hk/search.html?cid2=1607493345&cid3=1607198619
When working in Hong Kong I was blown away by the abundance of titles on SACD at the local record shops.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor

Analog Scott

So SACD and obscure British pop bands of the 80’s are big in Japan, most of my favourite SACD’s are Japanese imports.
SACD seems to be big in Hong Kong too. It's a matter of finding sources. CD Japan is IME a great source for many CDs and SACDs. Elusive Disc and Acoustic Sounds are great sources for audiophile SACDs. There are some excellent sources for a variety of SACDs in Hong Kong. And there are plenty on the various Amazon sites.

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
Limiting yourself as in sticking to a physical SACD rather than doing what you do..

PCM dvd , DVD-Audio is PCM or LPCM is it not? Iv got a few of those knocking about, presumably a fair few made it off physical media and can be down loaded or indeed one can rip them like you do with your SACD’s so sticking with a SACD player might limit one ( maybe one wants to enjoy some concerts other than classical in surround , shock horror)

But who knows, I’m not sure why you think I was saying your example was limiting tbh.

Physical SACD is limited though, it makes no sense to me for it to be a expanding market and Iv seen no sign of it being so.
Still not quite understanding. I have never in my life seen or heard of a player that would play only SACDs and nothing else. Every one I am aware of also plays at least CDs, as well.

And, most all SACD discs for the past 10 years have been "hybrids", playable as both CDs at RBCD resolution and as DSD in hirez stereo, or often, Mch too. There are two layers on the disc read by different lasers, so the two resolutions and formats are both supported from a single disc. Yes, some discs are stereo-only, many additionally offer Mch as an option.

So, I am not understanding the grudge you carry against your SACD player if it can also play CDs. Yes, restricting oneself to just discs can be limiting, but that is just as true of CD, LP, etc. as it is of SACD.

So, I still do not get your point.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Still not quite understanding. I have never in my life seen or heard of a player that would play only SACDs and nothing else. Every one I am aware of also plays at least CDs, as well.

And, most all SACD discs for the past 10 years have been "hybrids", playable as both CDs at RBCD resolution and as DSD in hirez stereo, or often, Mch too. There are two layers on the disc read by different lasers, so the two resolutions and formats are both supported from a single disc. Yes, some discs are stereo-only, many additionally offer Mch as an option.

So, I am not understanding the grudge you carry against your SACD player if it can also play CDs. Yes, restricting oneself to just discs can be limiting, but that is just as true of CD, LP, etc. as it is of SACD.

So, I still do not get your point.
lol, no grudge .. Iv got a SACD player and I know all about the ‘layers’ and RBCD playing capability.

If you don’t understand my point , well I think I’m ok with that as endless explaining something so simple seems madness. I was never arguing this vs that really , RBCD vs SACD or LP but never mind.

tomelex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
And so what did he tell you? I know the answer but please tell us anyway

Yeah, you have KNOWN the answer for some time now. He referred me to the complete version of his reply: "Transfer to the lacquers was direct, with no bass blend, no compression, no limiting, and no EQ apart from RIAA."

So, glad I changed my post about ALWAYS use EQ (POST 27) so looks like you were right to point that out. However, by you holding back on the full reply (or from the liner notes of the record ) we wasted a lot of bandwidth and time. So, at least his releases are pretty pristine stuff.

Last edited:

Analog Scott

Yeah, you have KNOWN the answer for some time now. He referred me to the complete version of his reply: "Transfer to the lacquers was direct, with no bass blend, no compression, no limiting, and no EQ apart from RIAA."

So, glad I changed my post about ALWAYS use EQ (POST 27) so looks like you were right to point that out. However, by you holding back on the full reply (or from the liner notes of the record ) we wasted a lot of bandwidth and time. So, at least his releases are pretty pristine stuff.
I didn't hold them back. I was in Hong Kong 8,000 miles away from my record collection

Wombat

Master Contributor

Cosmik

Major Contributor
"Transfer to the lacquers was direct, with no bass blend, no compression, no limiting, and no EQ apart from RIAA."
OK, but I am still not completely convinced that the lathe itself and its control electronics don't have EQ and protection built in. Why should the guy operating it know exactly what's in the box covered in knobs?

And supposing the system has had those features removed? Presumably they don't normally include them for fun. Surely the result is:
  1. Distortion
  2. Shorter playing time
  3. Higher noise floor
  4. Restricted choice of material (yes, less 'dynamic' stuff - the suggestion that sent a certain person apoplectic a while ago!).
This discussion is a debate on semantics. We know that digital recording is essentially perfect. We know that LP is a litany of noise and distortions of various kinds. Only the power of suggestion could keep it alive in the face of the possibilities that digital provides.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
In a forum far far away there is a dac designer who has had a thread running for about five years whilst he designs and crowd funds his ultimate dac. Ironically he claims tbat nothing surpasses vinyl. He says digital is not perfect. Whilst the latter statement may be true, the idea that vinyl is anything but a technical pile of steaming poo is just delusional, and I stopped taking the guy seriously after that. Why would I trust the aural judgement of someone who thinks vinyl is king? The sound of vinyl is entirely due to its technical deficiencies not its superiority. Your statement regarding essentially perfect will indeed send the audiophile fraternity utterly apoplectic.

Im not really sure why we are discussing vinyl. Its an anchronism. Who cares if there has been a fashion that has provided a bit of a temporary resurgance in sales? It aint hifi in any dictionary definition of the term.

Hey, lets get some vinyl cut from a recording made by a member and see how closely it resembles the original. Amir, is that a worthy experiment to spend some cash on?

Last edited:

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I am afraid I have little respect for that particular designer, I suspect the whole charade is little more than a Ponzi scheme .
Keith

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Let’s not bother and relax about people’s preferences, maybe move onto more intresting stuff... like ..,, graphs and water fall plots, maybe a waggon wheel and ting.

Really , Iv no clue why many of you seem helpless in the face of Audio format antagonism. It’s a bit sad.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Quite so. I have been fully aware of most, if not all, of the shortcomings of LPs when working in the business.
Making recordings of my own showed that reel-to-reel tape - which is a much better medium than LP - couldn't produce an output I found indistinguishable from the output whereas digital couls, pretty well straight away.
I have a Stelladat and it produced an output indistinguishable from the microphone feed on the type of music I was recording.

This doesn't stop me enjoying my LPs, which I never sold. No chance i will buy any more though.
I am currently listening to "Chess" in honour of my daughter's birthday, and I chose the LP over the CD because I prefer its sound.
In fact it occurred to me whilst writing this that the only format I don't like is streaming, and that isn't because of SQ it is the exasperating lack of any standardisation and bewildering plethora of players, both hardware and software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom