• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Vintage Speakers Worth Owning Today?

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Probably not. It wasn't possible to determine the music in you cd collection.
I have trouble determining that, too... and let's not even talk about rekkids.

I would like to consider my collection eclectic.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

TimF

Forum Donor
I recently bought a used pair of Montan Quadral MkII speakers (German) and assessed them relative to my long lived pr. of ProAc Response 3's. They are speakers with similar total volume of cabinet. The ProAc's have their qualities but they are bass deficient. The Montan is relatively bright compared to the ProAcs (ribbon tweeter) but they are just about as detailed and they offer adequate bass. Anyone out there have an opinion of the NAD M3 amp?

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll put a shout out for ADS speakers. At least the classic "L" lines. I've had a bunch of these, with (so far) my all around favorite being the L710 which is a largish bookshelf/standmount. Three way, with dual 7" woofer, the 2" sticky dome mid, and 3/4" dome tweeter.

I owned a pair of the slightly larger L810's from the mid 1980's to the mid 1990's - excellent speakers with interesting curved perforated metal grills. It's nice that there is a service in the USA that can bring them back up to spec.

ADS-L810 Speakers.JPG

bigx5murf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Well, I just bought a pair of JBL LX55 for $30, that surprisingly didn't need any repairs. They're from the late 80s early 90s, and actually compare very well against the rest of my collection which are just a couple years older, larger, all with at least 2x the original msrp (Polk SDA-2B, DCM TF600, Thiel CS 04a).

I'm a little surprised I'm liking these so far. The only other JBL I've owned from this era that also had titanium tweeters were the JBL 2600 bookshelves, which I thought were too bright.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, I just bought a pair of JBL LX55 for $30, that surprisingly didn't need any repairs. They're from the late 80s early 90s, and actually compare very well against the rest of my collection which are just a couple years older, larger, all with at least 2x the original msrp (Polk SDA-2B, DCM TF600, Thiel CS 04a).

I'm a little surprised I'm liking these so far. The only other JBL I've owned from this era that also had titanium tweeters were the JBL 2600 bookshelves, which I thought were too bright.
I remember those. They used to sell like hotcakes and beat up other speakers in the sound rooms. Very all around effective speaker.

gvl

Major Contributor
My JBL L100s spent last couple of years in the closet. Pulled them out today to reassure myself they still suck. Guess what no news on that front, but I had a very fun evening listening to them. Quite listenable at low to medium volumes, very holographic, they have this thought after effect as if they disappear and you can't locate where the sound is coming from. I think I'm going to keep them closer from now on.

bigx5murf

My JBL L100s spent last couple of years in the closet. Pulled them out today to reassure myself they still suck. Guess what no news on that front, but I had a very fun evening listening to them. Quite listenable at low to medium volumes, very holographic, they have this thought after effect as if they disappear and you can't locate where the sound is coming from. I think I'm going to keep them closer from now on.

I used the own the Pioneer HPM-500, which are the knockoffs of their previous knockoff attempt of the JBL L100, the HPM 100. I didn't keep those long, they stood out as being extreme "west coast sound".

gvl

Major Contributor
Yes they are definitely a colored speaker, but they can sound very enjoyable with certain type of music when not played too loud.

Octalman

A room mate in college had a pair of Warfedale sand filled, smooth and warm. A friend had a pair of JBL L100s, in your face. I went through too many that did not keep long. Heard a pair of Cerwin Vega that were surprisingly good. Another friend had Yamaha NS1000s, a bit too bright. Infinity was long a dream to acquire. Stumbled across a pair of Spica SC-50s shoved in the corner of an audiophile store around 1980. Store owner brought them back from Convention, not hooked up. The salesman wanted to ignore my curiosity - until he gave in and hooked them up for a listen. Spent the next 3 hours comparing to everything in the store costing less than $5000 each. Took those home with a subwoofer and used for many years. About 10 years ago picked up a pair of Spica TC-60s. Paired with a subwoofer and properly placed hard to beat expansive sound stage and clarity. Recently updated the crossover electrolytics to audio grade film. Skeptical going in, but before and after comparison of several demanding cuts revealed improved dynamics and vocalist clarity and subtleties not there previously. Glad to see interest in quality, regardless of age, is still present.

A800

Arcus TM 95.

bigx5murf

I found something interesting on my local offerup today for $40. I was reading old stereo magazines, and these weird looking speakers apparently measured well for them. So I went and got them.
Screenshot_20200422-175436.png
Screenshot_20200422-175806(1).png

20200422_170845.jpg

TLEDDY

Forum Donor
My vintage selections:

Quad 57. *
KLH 9s
Quad 63. *
Magnepan
Snell
AR 3. Stacked
Harbeth/BBC. *

Asterisk indicates still in my collection.

I did not include the idiosyncratic Fulton Js... they were produced by Bob in innumerable configurations and included
materials he carried around in his suit pockets, many made of unobtanium. Every time he came to visit me in West Palm Beach, he
would make some modification for "better response". Sadly, I lost them in a flood and due to his untimely passing, could not
replace them. I still miss Bob to this day!

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
BW Matrix 800s were the best I had heard as of 30 years ago. Local pickup only.
I really wanted some of these but couldn't afford them! They replaced them by the Nautilus, which I also wanted (a lot) and I did have a listen to, but not only were they expensive they needed 8 channels of amplifier, which made them prohibitive with the sort of amplifier I thought I needed back then.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I really wanted some of these but couldn't afford them! They replaced them by the Nautilus, which I also wanted (a lot) and I did have a listen to, but not only were they expensive they needed 8 channels of amplifier, which made them prohibitive with the sort of amplifier I thought I needed back then.

They are so 1980s in their style aren't they? Angles and disparate shapes and colours. Reminds me of some of the hideous clothes I used to wear...

The B&Ws I should have bought were the Nautilus 801s with the 15" bass drivers. Quite Frankly (that was for you), they are one of the best speakers I have ever heard. I had the money, but spent it on an engagement ring instead...

Last edited:

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I had the money, but spent it on an engagement ring instead...
Great to read , I wonder if we did a poll asking that question what the results would be ..

I think many of our members might be short on engagement options and the likely response would be " can there be a choice to buy the speakers and get engaged to them " .

Top Bottom