• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Vintage Speakers Worth Owning Today?

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Where are the feet for the SL-1100?
In a bag somewhere. I'm thinking I'll keep it off the feet and put a small layer of rubber insulation on the bottom. I like the looks sans feet. L100s on a wooden floor aren't a good idea, but raised on stands lowers the typical boom you expect, and hence (I suppose) acoustic interference to the turntable.

What I found obvious is the need for a subsonic filter. Playing records on either the Technics or Garrard causes the woofers to pump significantly. You can watch it on the lead-in groove without music playing. Can't really hear it, but you see it. Because of that, I run everything through a dbx equalizer which has a low filter, and I can also make certain mid-range adjustments to the L100s--to smooth out that portion of their FR. Sure, it's a '70s sound, but I've kept this stuff with me forever, and it's served me well. I might try the Maxell 'blown away' experiment if I can find a cassette deck! :cool:

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not to worry, you'd only be disappointed in the sound compared to the L100's ;)
Actually I bought my L100 because I thought the AR was 'too laid back' and recessed. The sound of the AR seemed to be coming from inside the box. The JBL sound appeared to be coming from outside of the box. I'd still like a pair of AR, just to experiment with. But I know you are correct.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
I'll second that, but only when active (and a digital crossover / DSP unit helps deal with the bextrene "quack"), but the sound distribution in the room is a marmite thing.
Late reply, but I'm just catching up with this thread. I have passive Briks (v. good when driven by a Klout) but I'm interested in your crossover/DSP solution. What are you using?

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Late reply, but I'm just catching up with this thread. I have passive Briks (v. good when driven by a Klout) but I'm interested in your crossover/DSP solution. What are you using?

For now Hypex DLCP, but thinking of simplifying by using Hypex FAs. I first tested out the parameters using a Behringer unit.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Unclevanya

I'm partial to older Kef and B&W designs. Mission had some good ones as well. But my true love was always Infinity. Not the 1990's but older.

I have personally owned the RS 1.5 and RS 2.5 models and listened extensively to the RS 4.5 model. In the case of the 4.5's they only sounded good biamplified. The 2.5 and 4.5 models are dipoles and use ribbon mid-range and tweeters. The Boston Acoustics A100 and A150 models were also nice. I loved the Linn Isobariks. I really liked Quad 63's. The Dalquest DQ-10 was fun to listen to. I also enjoyed Magnepan MG IIr and other models. Finally the Carver Amazing ribbon planar speakers were really nice.

Last edited:

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm partial to older Kef and B&W designs. Mission had some good ones as well. But my true love was always Infinity. Not the 1990's but older.

I have personally owned the RS 1.5 and RS 2.5 models and listened extensively to the RS 4.5 model. In the case of the 4.5's they only sounded good biamplified. The 2.5 and 4.5 models are dipoles and use ribbon mid-range and tweeters. The Boston Acoustics A100 and A150 models were also nice. I loved the Linn Isobariks. I really liked Quad 63's. The Dalquest DQ-10 was fun to listen to. I also enjoyed Magnepan MG IIr and other models. Finally the Carver Amazing ribbon planar speakers were really nice.
I've lots of experience with the Infinity Kappa 8 and 9. Wonderful speakers that could take a 200w/ch amp and bring it to it's knees. Lotsa power for these bad boys.
f9b54efffaabb374af43a25fb347ec5d.jpg

8134a520d12e8c6885f03afc91bf1f23.jpg

Last edited:

Newk Yuler

I too am a big fan and long time user of Arnie Nudell era Infinity from the late 1970s to late 1980s. My first serious speakers were RS 1.5 purchased new in 1980 driven by Adcom's first flagship components. Since have appreciated Infinitesimals, RS 4.5, 6 Kappa and 8 Kappa. Still have them all and have no need or desire to shop for anything to replace them. Miss those good old days. RIP Arnie Nudell.

Unclevanya

The one shortcoming to the 2.5's sounds was a bit of strain at the crossover point to the EMIMS. The 300hz required by only having two EMIMS, was easier to hear than anything else when compared to the 4.5's crossing at 150hz.

A modern take on the RS 2.5's: https://hifipig.com/infinity-rs2-5-ribbon-hybrid-loudspeakers/

And a classic view: http://www.infinity-classics.de/mod...81-86/Reference-Standard-2.5/body_rs_2_5.html

And the 4.5's: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...Vaw0Q0z2D5MXRksRT4YDbGQOu&cshid=1578979781207

Last edited:

Unclevanya

RS2.5-6.jpg

RS4.5-14.jpg

Oh and the EMIM and those dual voicecoil woofers in the old Infinity reference rs series were hard on amps. Biamping was perferred, but I never had the money for another amp and crossover. Rumor had it that there were 2ohm reactive drops in the impedence curves.

Last edited:

TimF

Forum Donor
There are... a few... pairs of vintage loudspeakers of various kinds here.

This is the pair I usually listen to, although at this point they're kind of a pastiche. My kind of pastiche, though.

DSC_9984 (3) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

The treble horns in the Duplexes are currently disconnected, supplanted by the EMILAR EH-500-2 horns on top of the cabinets (and currently loaded with JBL 2441 compression drivers).
I see you have a number of Anne Murray and Carpenters cd's.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

For a while my audiophile wet dreams were the Infinity IRS V and later its successor the Genesis 1.1.
perhaps Amir should review one of these ... :eek:

gvl

Major Contributor
Wasn't Paul McGowan of PS audio somehow involved with the Infinity brand?

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yep!
in designing the woofer amplifier and the crossover for the IRS.

Really? I would have assumed he was on the marketing side.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As minimalist as it is, it being a bottleneck in acoustic performance should hardly come as a surprise. The midrange really needs a lot more attention than it's getting stock, it's creating a fairly big mess.
There are at least two 2 XO mod options for the L100 series. Seems well worth it.
Yes. No doubt. But then you don't have an L100. My purpose in keeping it stock was to have an early 1970s reference, call it a memento from my beginning days of audio-foolery. I guess it's like the guy who has an air-cooled VW, or finned Cadillac in his garage for weekend jaunts.

With the exception of a 'modern' PAS styled preamp kit (Erhard Audio boards and chassis)...

http://www.erhard-audio.com/PAS-NGT.html

...my second system is pretty much '60s and early '70s. Dyna Mk IV mono amplifiers, Garrard Z100, Technics SL-1100a (sometimes with a Grace 707 tonearm depending on my interest, and whether I have the time to fool around with it--changing cartridges is ridiculously tricky). Speaking of, most of my cartridges are later era by necessity, but occasionally use a Denon 103 (design from the '60s) and found a NOS Pickering XV-15 1200e (clone of Stanton 681eee) on-line.

I do not, however, have an air-cooled VW or finned Cadillac in my garage.

Top Bottom