• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Vintage Speakers Worth Owning Today?

bigx5murf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Keep them on the floor but tilt them back so domes fire to ear level. ?

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the original stands were meant to do just that. But people want more than the value of the speakers for them usually.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh, if i only could... Real Bookshelf speakers! You can use them easealy to place a lot of Books on them. ; )

Talk about a Wall of Sound. Kenrick does a first rate job renovating the classic JBL line.

4355.jpg

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Allow me to take a moment to put in another good word for the ads L-710. Really easy to listen to, and also easy to drive; surprisingly sensitive for sealed boxes ("monkey coffins"), too. All of the ads/Braun loudspeakers that I've heard were nice, but I would opine that the L-710 was (is) a 'sweet spot' in the line(s). I am biased, though, since I have a pair of these and none of the others (at least, any more). :)

P1020547 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Speaking of 1970s and monkey coffins... AR alum Roy Allison made some very nice loudspeakers during his long life (and was a true gentleman, to boot, by all accounts). I am kind of partial to his early Allison Ones -- mostly because I have a pair :)
DSC_5795a by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

1578836711070.png

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
P1020547 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Speaking of 1970s and monkey coffins... AR alum Roy Allison made some very nice loudspeakers during his long life (and was a true gentleman, to boot, by all accounts).
Roy was responsible for the 'a' modification of the original AR3. I don't know numbers, but that had to be one of the best selling 'high priced' bookshelf speakers ever. The three well known speakers everyone knew and wanted back then were the AR3a, JBL L100, and Bose 901. Each sounding markedly different than the other.

Allison was into the reflected sound thing. He started that with the LST at AR. For whatever reason I never heard any of his name branded speakers. Not even sure my area had a dealer. Or if they did, the brand was really low-key. My impression is that folks who bought them kept them. But not enough folks bought them to keep it going for him.

As I recall, ADS were higher priced 'specialty line' type speakers. They also made a tiny monitor speaker. Folks would sometimes use them in automobiles.

Neddy

I spent a lot of time in my 20s at a friends house who had JBL 4350s (+ a 30" subwoofer).
Nothing I've heard since comes even close to them...until I heard some DIY M2s.
Either of those systems is best appreciated in the country, or a neighborhood without neighbors...
+1 for the ADS/Brauns, too - I still have a pair of Braun minis (L100s?) and like them very much for low level reading background music....built like little tiny tanks....

Neddy

It was a renovated 19th century farm house - incidentally with walls built of 4 layers (deep) of bricks (no insulation, though).
The room was large, but not outrageously so (19th cent parlour, maybe?)...the speakers did fill an entire wall....but man could that system Rock!
He's long since passed away, but he was my main 'tech advisor' on JBL systems, so in a way my recently modernized ones are a tribute to him.
It's a shame I never bothered to get pictures of that setup. I think he got the 30" sub in Japan when he was in the service during Vietnam.
RIP, Morris.

Vintage57

Forum Donor
These types of speakers are what I want Amir to measure.
Not those toy speakers with built-in amplifier. :mad:

Sure and then we’re all going to go on eBay watching for a pair in prestige condition ‍♂️
get a grip.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure and then we’re all going to go on eBay watching for a pair in prestige condition ‍...get a grip.
Era speakers have to be carefully selected. However, many were built strongly, and may not require significant repair. Others will. I recently refurbished a set of L100 I bought in 1975 or 76 in Winter Park, FL. I use it in a second system. Wood veneer was thick and capable of sanding, then restained. Woofer surround remains intact over 30+ years. Midrange, ditto. By necessity replaced LE25 tweeters using a facsimile (said to be built to JBL specs--originals have been long out of print for years). Crossover (if you can call it that) needed no new components. Painted baffle JBL blue, and was able to source a new foilcal (you destroy the old one removing the crossover module).

Obviously it is not comparable to the sonic quality of today's loudspeakers, but it's what I grew up with... memories...and all that. I'd like an AR3a to compare, but you have to draw the line somewhere--wife has concerns! :rolleyes:
20200112_123452.jpg

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I'd like an AR3a to compare, but you have to draw the line somewhere--wife has concerns!
Not to worry, you'd only be disappointed in the sound compared to the L100's ;)

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Era speakers have to be carefully selected. However, many were built strongly, and may not require significant repair. Others will. I recently refurbished a set of L100 I bought in 1975 or 76 in Winter Park, FL. I use it in a second system. Wood veneer was thick and capable of sanding, then restained. Woofer surround remains intact over 30+ years. Midrange, ditto. By necessity replaced LE25 tweeters using a facsimile (said to be built to JBL specs--originals have been long out of print for years). Crossover (if you can call it that) needed no new components. Painted baffle JBL blue, and was able to source a new foilcal (you destroy the old one removing the crossover module).

Obviously it is not comparable to the sonic quality of today's loudspeakers, but it's what I grew up with... memories...and all that. I'd like an AR3a to compare, but you have to draw the line somewhere--wife has concerns! :rolleyes:
View attachment 45614

Where are the feet for the SL-1100?

Top Bottom