• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Vintage HT help please

TimW

Major Contributor
On February 7, I'm going to celebrate the one year anniversary of the ENLIGHTENING video "The problem with Most Center Channel Speakers" from Erin's Audio Corner by auditioning (3) KEF Q150s in my HT room for L-C-R. I purchased 2 open-box pairs with a 60-day return policy. Thanks to everyone for their guidance--I attempted to incorporate ALL of your thoughtful advice into this initial upgrade decision. While trialing the Q150s, two of my original RCA PRO-LX55s (including the one damaged one) will refoamed and have the crossovers revised per Dennis Murphy's parameters.

The results of the RCA upgrades will determine if the additional 4 speakers will be treated to the crossover revision or just be refoamed. I hope to have all 6 completed within the 60 day KEF Q150 return period. If the KEFs stay, I may incorporate the 4th one (the horizontal orientation fits--one of the reasons this was my first speaker choice, TimW) into my "upstairs" system which is primarily TV viewing (news, weather), background music and the center of indoor/outdoor 2-zone music. If significant center channel performance over my present Polk S35 isn't realized, I'll sell it to stay under my contingent budget for the basement HT.

IF the KEFs are a no go, I'll try TimW's suggestion of JBL Stage A130s. Hopefully by then, if necessary, the Emotiva Airmotive B1 + will be available to A-B. So, the flowchart is in place. Again, I am grateful for everyone's considering my situation legitmate (no major ridicule anyway), giving expedient direction, providing great, clear and concise hints and links and respecting my meager budget. Thanks for making it fun and easy. Let's hear what happens.
Sounds like a great plan my friend.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I haven't seen Erin's enlightening video, but most center channel speakers are poorly designed AND are a serious profit center for the manufacturers. Three identical LCR speakers is usually less costly and offers superior perfromance.

That said, there are situations where you have no choice due to physical constraints. In those cases it is best to go with a dedicated center that is not an MTM such as a design with a tweeter over a mid or uses a concentric speaker for the highs and mids.

OP
T

Tbart

I haven't seen Erin's enlightening video, but most center channel speakers are poorly designed AND are a serious profit center for the manufacturers. Three identical LCR speakers is usually less costly and offers superior perfromance.

That said, there are situations where you have no choice due to physical constraints. In those cases it is best to go with a dedicated center that is not an MTM such as a design with a tweeter over a mid or uses a concentric speaker for the highs and mids.
Erin's video illustrates your point about center speakers. Thanks for your prompt insights and nudging me in the right direction!

OP
T

Tbart

Thanks for your insight and nudging me in the right direction.

OP
T

Tbart

Here's a preliminary update of progress. I'm auditioning the unported KEF Q150s for R/C/L. Overall, the speakers call no attention to themselves, but perhaps less "ambient" than the RCA PRO LX-550s. The KEF 150 as a center speaker performs similarly IMG_0897.jpgPDR-10.jpg to the previous PSB Image 8C on axis. However, the improved lateral dispersion of the KEF provided a few unexpected advantages. By moving the seating 2' closer to the screen, we are getting more sonic and visual impact , without negatively impacting diaglog experienced from the outboard seats. I'm still anziously waiting for the refoam and crossover mods for the 2 LX-550s.

Unfortunately, I likewise discovered foam surround issues with the 2 Paradigm PDR-10s. As a temporary fix, I ordered a Monoprice 9723 subwoofer to audition. The refoamed PDR-10s are back ($60 each), but I'm opting to daisy chain the Monoprice (shown front right) as a third subwoofer, due the modest investment. Moving along.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Bummer about the surrounds, but it is good that you discovered the issue before you damaged the drivers' voicecoils by over driving them.

Looking good!

Top Bottom