• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Vintage HT help please

TimW

Major Contributor
TimW, You are on the on-ramp of my dilemma circle. If I decide to use the remaining RCAs as back and surround only, which bookshelf speakers for L and R, without a solid choice for center?
Without a solid choice for center? I currently own Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 SE2 and love them. I also own and really like the JBL Studio 530, the whole Studio series is supposed to be great except for the center channel option which is a little MTM. I haven't heard them but standard recommendations for good speakers at under $1000 per pair include the Polk R100, Focal Aria 906, ELAC DBR62, and JBL 308P.

The Monoprice Monolith THX series measure quite well and come in THX-365T Mini-Tower and THX-365C Center versions so you could actually get a good matching center. Price would be $1500 for a full LCR though unfortunately.

Personally if I wanted a center channel I would just use a bookshelf identical to my main speakers. The Emotiva B1+ is only 10.75" tall so it may fit under your TV as a center? You would have to buy two pair and try to sell a single though. If I were going cheap I would probably just get JBL Stage A130 all around. I bought a pair of those on sale for $180 and was very impressed with them for the price. Gave them to a friend so they can't torture me with bad sound when I visit.

OP
T

Tbart

Thank you for the good suggestions. Three reasonably sized identical speakers across the front mitigates the dreaded off-axis decay in a relatively economical way.

OP
T

Tbart

(3) KEF Q150 vs (3) Emotiva Airmotiv B1+ vs (3) JBL Stage A-130 as L- C- R (surviving RCA PRO-LX500 as rear and surround)?

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
(3) KEF Q150 vs (3) Emotiva Airmotiv B1+ vs (3) JBL Stage A-130 as L- C- R (surviving RCA PRO-LX500 as rear and surround)?
I like your direction.

You should still refoam the surviving surround speakers even if they haven't yet failed. If you don't they will fail and may become damaged.

OP
T

Tbart

I've had alot of help navigating! Any suggestions for the L-C-R? New front and center speakers buy time for staged refoaming of all the surround speakers.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had alot of help navigating! Any suggestions for the L-C-R? New front and center speakers buy time for staged refoaming of all the surround speakers.
Ideally you can find your choices locally and both see and hear them. Choosing your LCRs is a personal thing and while measurements can lead you to them, ultimately it is a subjective decision.

TimW

Major Contributor
The JBLs are currently going for $200 a pair and I do like their sound but they technically measure the worst. The Emotivas are priced at $329 a pair, measure the best, but are currently unavailable on their website. The KEFs measure somewhere in between and currently cost $300 a pair, a good deal less than their MSRP. Single Q150s are also available for $200 each in any finish if you didn't want to deal with selling one. The nice thing about the KEF is that the center can be placed horizontally without severely impacting directivity. If you could listen to these before purchasing that would be the best option of course.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I like these old RCA speakers.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Novel solution for off-axis dispersion.
The additional upward facing horns? Must have been used in theaters with balconies. Some people even use radial horns in their home. Nutters.

OP
T

Tbart

Gotta love inflation, right?
I found a receipt from June 2004 for my 2nd pair (rears for 5.1) of the LX-550s: $40 each; then, July 2004 the 3rd pair (sides for 7.1) were $30 each. So, if the refoam brings the anticipated rejuvenation, $80-90/speaker total isn't horrible. OTOH, a new JBL Studio A130 is $100. Hmmmm.

TimW

Major Contributor
I found a receipt from June 2004 for my 2nd pair (rears for 5.1) of the LX-550s: $40 each; then, July 2004 the 3rd pair (sides for 7.1) were $30 each. So, if the refoam brings the anticipated rejuvenation, $80-90/speaker total isn't horrible. OTOH, a new JBL Studio A130 is $100. Hmmmm.
A Stage A120 is only $75 each...

OP
T

Tbart

Ouch, these speakers sold for less that each at some points.
found a receipt from June 2004 for my 2nd pair (rears for 5.1) of the LX-550s: $40 each; then, July 2004 the 3rd pair (sides for 7.1) were $30 each. So, if the refoam brings the anticipated rejuvenation, $80-90/speaker total isn't horrible. OTOH, a new JBL Studio A130 is $100. Hmmmm.

OP
T

Tbart

On February 7, I'm going to celebrate the one year anniversary of the ENLIGHTENING video "The problem with Most Center Channel Speakers" from Erin's Audio Corner by auditioning (3) KEF Q150s in my HT room for L-C-R. I purchased 2 open-box pairs with a 60-day return policy. Thanks to everyone for their guidance--I attempted to incorporate ALL of your thoughtful advice into this initial upgrade decision. While trialing the Q150s, two of my original RCA PRO-LX55s (including the one damaged one) will refoamed and have the crossovers revised per Dennis Murphy's parameters.

The results of the RCA upgrades will determine if the additional 4 speakers will be treated to the crossover revision or just be refoamed. I hope to have all 6 completed within the 60 day KEF Q150 return period. If the KEFs stay, I may incorporate the 4th one (the horizontal orientation fits--one of the reasons this was my first speaker choice, TimW) into my "upstairs" system which is primarily TV viewing (news, weather), background music and the center of indoor/outdoor 2-zone music. If significant center channel performance over my present Polk S35 isn't realized, I'll sell it to stay under my contingent budget for the basement HT.

IF the KEFs are a no go, I'll try TimW's suggestion of JBL Stage A130s. Hopefully by then, if necessary, the Emotiva Airmotive B1 + will be available to A-B. So, the flowchart is in place. Again, I am grateful for everyone's considering my situation legitmate (no major ridicule anyway), giving expedient direction, providing great, clear and concise hints and links and respecting my meager budget. Thanks for making it fun and easy. Let's hear what happens.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
From the thread title I expected to see something like this...

View attachment 260910

I guess we have different ideas of "vintage". :)

In any event, I would second the recommendation for refoaming all of your speakers that use foam surrounds. You can find foam surrounds on eBay and tackle this yourself if you are careful and do a bit of research, but for most of us it is best to find a quality speaker repair shop and have them do the work. Assuming you haven't over driven the drivers with failed or failing surrounds, they should be as good as new once the new surrounds are installed.
I thought of this:

I mean if you really wanted vintage :D

Top Bottom