• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Vintage electrovoice speakers?

Ciobi69

Hello everyone I was thinking of getting two of these for the use of 2 channel stereo and hometheater, they should be pretty nice ,they look like they have a good directivity ,they have high sensitivity and can handle power, Soo they look like to me that can do the job done,the cons are the age of the speakers ( got to find them in good working conditions) and they are pretty big, but my future living could have those, Soo size is not a problem, what you think about this idea? Those speaker at the time have been used in studio for mixing and theater/ clubs

Attachments

• 003125537_1-06de6ae674e96e99b1a016a36cf5c672.png
    003125537_1-06de6ae674e96e99b1a016a36cf5c672.png
    377.3 KB · Views: 295
  • EV Sentry 3 Pg 4.jpg
    EV Sentry 3 Pg 4.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 262

3125b

Major Contributor
Performance looks ok even by todays standards. If buying them makes sense would depend on condition and cost I guess, speakers that old and special might not come up too often and/or for reasonable prices. They are very wide and deep and thus will be a challenge in most rooms, you should make a cardboard mockup and see if you really have space for them.

hex168

I don't think the 1960 date penciled on top is right. If I remember correctly these are early 1970's and may date to when DB Keele worked for EV. If so, these might have Keele constant directivity horns. I wish I knew more; these might be very interesting. On the other hand, I can think of no excuse for the position of the high frequency horn relative to the big horn.

JPA

Forum Donor
Can you inspect them personally before buying? Woofers of that vintage often used a foam surround that had a tendency to rot and fall apart over time. Sometimes they can be refoamed with a kit.

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I own a pair of EV Esquires... They are lovely to behold... but... I prefer to listen to my F35s. My Esquires are doing an esteemable duty as nostalgic conversation/furniture/decor items and merely a passable duty as HiFi gear.

My advice - if your approach is 70% nostalgia and 30% sound - you'll be happy. If you are thinking otherwise... you'd be better off looking for a nice used set of Kefs or Revels (or the like).

I believe @mhardy6647 has heard his share of EVs and can probably add to this conversation.

OP
C

Ciobi69

thanks for the opinions i will continue to read, i did found a pair that are in great condition they cost 3000€ i think it's a fair price,right now i will have to wait for the renovation of the new house Soo i will keep informing myself, but for me they should be a great designed speaker in the 1970

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Be aware the crossover electrolytic capacitors have probably dried out by now and need replacing. The horn in those is not bad at all, although were it me I'd use EQ to flatten some of the more distressing on-axis peaks. That one at 2kHz would drill a hole in my eardrums. You'll definitely want to measure it, at least on-axis, to see if all those old drivers are still working well.

itz_all_about_the_music

I own a pair of EV Esquires... They are lovely to behold... but... I prefer to listen to my F35s. My Esquires are doing an esteemable duty as nostalgic conversation/furniture/decor items and merely a passable duty as HiFi gear.

My advice - if your approach is 70% nostalgia and 30% sound - you'll be happy. If you are thinking otherwise... you'd be better off looking for a nice used set of Kefs or Revels (or the like).

I believe @mhardy6647 has heard his share of EVs and can probably add to this conversation.
I agree though I'd tweak your numbers - if his approach is 90% nostalgia and 10% sound - he'll be happy. One can achieve really great sound with 21st century technology for 3000€ (and even lots less).

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As for the nostalgia vs sound ratio...a good horn speaker has unique virtues. Especially (I would say only) if EQ is judiciously applied. But, almost certainly a lot of restoration needs to be done to these. Old drivers, if they are defective, are expensive and hard to find. Especially vexing is if someone has already "repaired" them at some point using cheap drivers.

Last edited:

puppet

I don't think the 1960 date penciled on top is right. If I remember correctly these are early 1970's and may date to when DB Keele worked for EV. If so, these might have Keele constant directivity horns. I wish I knew more; these might be very interesting. On the other hand, I can think of no excuse for the position of the high frequency horn relative to the big horn.
If I'm remembering right that tweeter can be located to the top horns center mounting flange.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Since we're horn geeking, here's a datasheet for the SM120A:

They called it constant directivity, but I think they were just trying to be trendy. By modern standards it's more controlled directivity. It's a true radial horn, with 120 degree horizontal beamwidth. Not a bad horn, although like most or all, it needs EQ.

itz_all_about_the_music

I have six minty E-V drivers/horns: SP12 woofer, T25A Midrange with HD8 horn & bracket, T35 Tweeter assembly. No crossovers, no cabinets. They've been stored in my basement since I acquired them in 1994.
Pic_1.JPG

Maybe this forum will finally compel me to do something with them. Like dig a hole in my backyard and bury these dinosaurs.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The accordion surround on the woofers is interesting. I guess they were meant for pro use.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
The accordion surround on the woofers is interesting. I guess they were meant for pro use.
That type of woofer surround was very common, even in consumer oriented speakers.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I have six minty E-V drivers/horns: SP12 woofer, T25A Midrange with HD8 horn & bracket, T35 Tweeter assembly. No crossovers, no cabinets. They've been stored in my basement since I acquired them in 1994. View attachment 217955

Maybe this forum will finally compel me to do something with them. Like dig a hole in my backyard and bury these dinosaurs.
The drivers were (are) all very good, and quite well made -- not quite Altec (nor even JBL) good, but quite good. Very sensitive but not capable of taking too much "continuous" power.
Those drivers could be used to make a "Klipsch Heritage" type of loudspeaker -- either in a BR cabinet (a la Cornwall) or a folded horn (a la Belle/LaScala or K-horn).
Now, before you start rolling your eyes and nausea sets in ;) -- the result will likely be much more listenable than the rather screechy presentation that Klipsch favored (and, it seems, to some extent, still does favor). :)

Or just sell 'em on eBAY for a pretty penny.

EDIT: Paul Klipsch did use EV drivers in the '50s (and kept using the EV tweeters for as long as they were available) -- but the Klipsch XOs (and their shouty MR horns) brought out the worst in the drivers. By the late 1960s, Klipsch had transitioned mostly to much cheaper bass and MR drivers. The Colonel always felt that the enclosure was the most important thing in a loudspeaker system, and didn't seem to feel that the drivers mattered much at all.

itz_all_about_the_music

The drivers were (are) all very good, and quite well made -- not quite Altec (nor even JBL) good, but quite good. Very sensitive but not capable of taking too much "continuous" power.
Those drivers could be used to make a "Klipsch Heritage" type of loudspeaker -- either in a BR cabinet (a la Cornwall) or a folded horn (a la Belle/LaScala or K-horn).
Now, before you start rolling your eyes and nausea sets in ;) -- the result will likely be much more listenable than the rather screechy presentation that Klipsch favored (and, it seems, to some extent, still does favor). :)

EDIT: Paul Klipsch did use EV drivers in the '50s (and kept using the EV tweeters for as long as they were available) -- but the Klipsch XOs (and their shouty MR horns) brought out the worst in the drivers. By the late 1960s, Klipsch had transitioned mostly to much cheaper bass and MR drivers. The Colonel always felt that the enclosure was the most important thing in a loudspeaker system, and didn't seem to feel that the drivers mattered much at all.
I appreciate the advice and as an accomplished woodworker (typically quartersawn oak reproductions of American Arts & Crafts Period furniture ala Stickley, Limbert...) I have contemplated building replicas of the E-V Aristrcrat KD6. See here for a refresher: https://daytonit.com/Electro-Voice_Aristocrat/Electro-Voice_Aristocrat.htm

Is this in line with your thoughts?

I have located schematics to the original passive x-overs and docs showing each and every wood component/brace, internal baffle, etc. I could/would be fun but I sense eventual disappointment relative to the system I've fine tuned over many years (i.e., B&W 801-II/805 Matrix/HTM Matrix/(2) ASW-675 subs, bi-amp'd Parasound and Pooge mod'd Hafler amps...). I mean, really.

I've seen posts about the T35 tweeter falling off at 10 kHz and even replacement diaphragms hoping to extend that. I forsee a performance/effort ratio that's not high.

I welcome anyone's thoughts.

ps. Have attached another ref doc.

Attachments

• KD6 DIY Booklet.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 69

puppet

I'd take online reports of driver performance with a grain of salt. Better yet to have even the simplest measurement setup w/REW to see for yourself.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I appreciate the advice and as an accomplished woodworker (typically quartersawn oak reproductions of American Arts & Crafts Period furniture ala Stickley, Limbert...) I have contemplated building replicas of the E-V Aristrcrat KD6. See here for a refresher: https://daytonit.com/Electro-Voice_Aristocrat/Electro-Voice_Aristocrat.htm

Is this in line with your thoughts?

I have located schematics to the original passive x-overs and docs showing each and every wood component/brace, internal baffle, etc. I could/would be fun but I sense eventual disappointment relative to the system I've fine tuned over many years (i.e., B&W 801-II/805 Matrix/HTM Matrix/(2) ASW-675 subs, bi-amp'd Parasound and Pooge mod'd Hafler amps...). I mean, really.

I've seen posts about the T35 tweeter falling off at 10 kHz and even replacement diaphragms hoping to extend that. I forsee a performance/effort ratio that's not high.

I welcome anyone's thoughts.

ps. Have attached another ref doc.
Well -- deviating from ASR-approved methodologies and nomenclature, I think you'll find that the Aristocrats will have much more jump factor than the B&Ws. Full disclosure, though (and not that anyone asked, nor probably does anyone care :) ): I am not a huge fan of the B&W sound. I find them harsh and fatiguing to listen to. The "heritage" Klipsches have that problem, too, ironically (which is not to say that Bowers & Wilkins loudspeakers sound like heritage Klipsches... they both just grate on me fairly quickly.
De gustibus non est disputandum, though, of course. Folks buy B&W, and folks buy Klipsch. ;)

itz_all_about_the_music

Well -- deviating from ASR-approved methodologies and nomenclature, I think you'll find that the Aristocrats will have much more jump factor than the B&Ws. Full disclosure, though (and not that anyone asked, nor probably does anyone care :) ): I am not a huge fan of the B&W sound. I find them harsh and fatiguing to listen to. The "heritage" Klipsches have that problem, too, ironically (which is not to say that Bowers & Wilkins loudspeakers sound like heritage Klipsches... they both just grate on me fairly quickly.
De gustibus non est disputandum, though, of course. Folks buy B&W, and folks buy Klipsch. ;)
I appreciate the input/comments.

One takeaway: I find loudspeaker "brand" conclusions/biases/stereotypes here on ASR, well, surprising. When someone states emphatically they are "not a huge fan of ABC" I can only ask what EXACTLY they've both heard and lived with. It's like when someone says "I'm not a big fan of Nissan's...I find they all understeer and the heater blower fans are always noisy". When, in fact, car company XYZ, and speaker company ABC, make and have made for decades MANY products built for various price ranges, various consumer needs, various size of applications.

Specifically, B&W has marketed a huge array of products (as has loudspeaker company DEF, GHI, JKL, MNO, PQR...) over decades, utilizing mass produced MDF boxes housing drivers assembled in moderately accurate fixtures by robotics employing simple/inexpensive hi-pass/low-pass shelf filters, ALL THE WAY TO utilizing finite element array developed composite and/or multi-braced enclosures, hand assembled drivers of exotic materials to achieve specific narrow tolerance performance objectives, rather sophisticated 4th/6th order bandbass filters, provided with instructions for specific placement and acoustical room treatments...

To say wine produced by Brand &@* is "grating on the palette" when that very brand may have produced products, over their decades, in the business that are accepted baselines for multiple sommeliers of Michelin Star Restaurants around the globe... Sure. Maybe their $7.99 bottle of red blend is less than satisfying, even, umm, harsh. But optima societas instituere debet ut in cella recte enucleata et tractata offerat... ahh... maybe that Nissan Skyline GT-R R34 shouldn't be dissed. Otherwise I'd look like a fool to say all Nissan's/BMW's/Klipsches/&@*'s sucketh.

itz_all_about_the_music

Like my comments in another post regarding the fair market value of vintage AR-3a speakers (see https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-worth-owning-today.9646/page-13#post-1209632), the E-V Marquis, even when all original and in nice condition, are worth peanuts. Example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/144645905693?hash=item21ad915d1d:g:sAQAAOSw1UdiisQd - no Offers/Bids (yet).

Remember the 1980 Plymouth Horizon K-car? Remember the E-V Marquis? Both forgettable, especially in light of the Toyota Corolla and Elac/KEF/Harman/Arendal value alternatives

Top Bottom