• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Vintage Audio Gear - Hoarding VS Selling?

lastexile

I have too much stuff that I have collected and don't use. Yamaha silver face and Pioneer mainly over the years. Is it worth holding onto and paying to get it serviced or selling for someone else to enjoy? I can only use one amp at a time. Any advice? Thanks

Attachments

• 2017-04-28 19.37.52.jpg
    2017-04-28 19.37.52.jpg
    665.2 KB · Views: 544
  • 2017-05-10 18.28.57.jpg
    2017-05-10 18.28.57.jpg
    562.3 KB · Views: 690
  • 2017-05-18 07.16.25.jpg
    2017-05-18 07.16.25.jpg
    601.4 KB · Views: 390
  • IMG_20170426_172354111.jpg
    IMG_20170426_172354111.jpg
    436.3 KB · Views: 465

bobhol

I struggle with this also. I suspect I have enough equipment to last for the rest of my life including down sized equipment that my wife may tolerate when we eventually downsize to a smaller abode. But I still have more than I need. Selling vintage equipment can be difficult.
The general public has little interest in what you are showing here. Selling on audio enthusiast sites is your best bet. But you'll probably have to ship the stuff. Try to find people who would really enjoy this stuff while trying to avoid hoarders and flippers would be my advise.

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have too much stuff that I have collected and don't use. Yamaha silver face and Pioneer mainly over the years. Is it worth holding onto and paying to get it serviced or selling for someone else to enjoy? I can only use one amp at a time. Any advice? Thanks

I buy an sell a lot of electronics, old and new, on eBay. The gear you have looks to be in beautiful shape, and classic components like yours are in high demand because of its nostalgic value to us baby boomers. Because it is mainstream stuff, you could copy down the model numbers and search the "sold" history on eBay. That should give you a good idea of what it is worth. But you will also find there is quite a range from high to low of any specific model.

In general, classic gear like yours that is in great physical shape, if it works well, will sell for top dollar. I usually run fixed price listings (not an auction). I also look at the last year's buying history...and price it at or near the top if it is in good shape. With fixed listings you only need one person who really wants it to get a good price. If you go that route, make sure you get great photos.

I also used to restore and sell old wood and plastic tube radios. The market for them is down now because the people who remember using them in their homes have for the most part died off. Classic 70's-80's components sell well now.

bigx5murf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm in the same boat as you, I've found it better to decide on a per component basis. Most of this stuff even after being listed will sit for months or more before a serious buyer comes along. In the mean time you'll get contacted by mostly scammers, tire kickers, and low ballers.

The kef Q60 and Q80 for example, as good as they are, they simply aren't desirable by vintage collectors, despite the fact you'd need to spent so much more to get modern stuff that out performs them. Not to mention, they're well known for tweeter issues, and Kef no longer carries replacements.

Those Klipsch KG4 as well, excellent speakers, especially in the quality and quantity of bass. They're very difficult to sell even though parts and maintenance info is so plentiful. They're just not as desirable as the heresys, even though IMO they're a better speaker.

Tircuit

Forum Donor
I've begun letting stuff go if I'm not using it. If I really want it again I'll pay the premium to get another. I've sold most of my Fisher and Dynaco tube equipment, silver-face Pioneer receivers, multiple sets of AR-2 speakers, etc. I haven't missed them and I put the $ to good use.

Anyone buying these on Craigslist is more likely to listen to them now than I am.

It's just stuff.

(But the real cream of the crop stuff is still in my closet. For now.)

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In the case of your Yamaha CA-2010. None are available for sale at the moment on eBay. This would indicate to me there is an existing demand for that model.

The last two CA-2010's sold were in used excellent condition and went for $1,130 and $1,150. The one previous to that "as is" (I did not read the details) sold for $350. So, quite a range.

As bigx5murf said, speakers are more difficult because shipping is high. Still, if you live in a metro area, they can sell for a good price if you are patient.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I hoard, or rather, keep in case of later need.....sounds so much better!

I keep being given stuff for free as people know my interest in audio, and they are clearing out hifi they haven't used for 30 years. I got a Yamaha CR1000 receiver, Rotel receiver, several turntables, 'speakers etc etc, and once refurbished/repaired or just checked over, they get used or donated /swapped with others. I rarely sell on eBay as their T&Cs are very much against the seller, so have a fair few bits still.

However, they DO come in handy eventually.

S

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

I have a Yamaha CA-2010 and it is in need of repair (some) and restoring to previous glory. Where should I send it to be restored and how much should I expect to pay? .. Regardless it is a keeper , a legacy from the Dad who passed away too soon ( He was 57 :( ) .. I also have a TOL Yamaha TT of the same era in perfect shape or so i think and a Technicc SP-10 MKII .. those are staying too... even though I no longer play vinyl nor do I ever feel the need to ...

bigx5murf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi

I have a Yamaha CA-2010 and it is in need of repair (some) and restoring to previous glory. Where should I send it to be restored and how much should I expect to pay? .. Regardless it is a keeper , a legacy from the Dad who passed away too soon ( He was 57 :( ) .. I also have a TOL Yamaha TT of the same era in perfect shape or so i think and a Technicc SP-10 MKII .. those are staying too... even though I no longer play vinyl nor do I ever feel the need to ...

How far of a restoration were you thinking? Have you tried a basic deoxit on all knobs first? Most shops will charge you $75-$100 for that alone. If you want a full recap, including power supply, you're looking at about $100 in parts plus labor, which varies, but should start at $500+.

Top Bottom