• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Vintage Audio Advertising

Robin L

Master Contributor
From Autocar magazine, December 5, 1965. Makes me wonder if this really was the "first of its kind in the world."
View attachment 177727
I remember "Madman Muntz" from the sixties, the in-car 4 track stereo might be just a tad before the compact cassette:

R.jpg

Tom C

Major Contributor
Well, that model guy... umm... Fabio... had a rather famous stereo system.
Not that there's anything wrong with that! ;)

Mo88vFG.jpg

fabio01-jpg.15437

And... I mean... in another time's forgotten space... Rod the Mod did have the Rodspeaker(s).
and he had a hit called Do Ya Think I'm Sexy... so, if we apply a little syllogism... ;)

kbv5e22xd7qd8mk3e4ay.jpg

Personally, though... this is more my style...

47546e8d9d8911363f9b9eef1043b840.jpg

054a0388b7114b6524904a7af8979454.jpg
Thank you for throwing yourself on the grenade. I always liked Emma Peel…

Tom C

Major Contributor
From Autocar magazine, December 5, 1965. Makes me wonder if this really was the "first of its kind in the world." Also, think this must be an English magazine (assuming "38 gns" means 38 guineas, as well the London address). And what the heck? Music on a cassette can't be erased? They must have meant just on this unit...
View attachment 177727
If I’m remembering right, there was a little tab at the top (actually two, one for each side) that you could punch out to make the cassette read only. The blanks you bought at the store had those intact, but the ones you bought pre—recorded from the studio had those prepunched, so you didn’t accidentally tape over your expensive recording.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If I’m remembering right, there was a little tab at the top (actually two, one for each side) that you could punch out to make the cassette read only. The blanks you bought at the store had those intact, but the ones you bought pre—recorded from the studio had those prepunched, so you didn’t accidentally tape over your expensive recording.
Also, an in-car unit didn't have an erase head or erase oscillator, so couldn't erase a tape even with tabs left on. That Philips unit may well have been the first combined radio/tape player that fitted a European standard car radio slot.

S

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
There was/is indeed. A piece of tape may be applied over the "missing" tab's spot, or one could reach into the deck and push back on the lever that actuates the 'record interlock' microswitch before inserting the tape -- were the need to arise.

1641733684355.png
source: https://www.hifiengine.com/hfe_downloads/index.php?technics/technics_rs-630us_en.pdf

Later cassette shells had additional, similar schemes for auto tape-type selection. :)

images

source: http://www.walkman-archive.com/articles/cassette-walkman-faq-01.html

Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor
Unfair to the women who read this thread. They have no eye candy.Thought to post some picture so I googled,"sexy men and hifi", but I could not find anything. Found this but even I who do not lie in that direction and turn on to men realize that this may not be what women, in general, consider to be so sexy.:)

However, surely those gentlemen at that event hade a good time.:)

A photo I found. Unfortunately lost the link. Some flea market, vintage, hifi fair something, somewhere.

View attachment 177507

Edit:
Although the women probably thought that Frank Sinatra was a sexy guy:

View attachment 177548

View attachment 177549

Unfair to the old farts in that picture. We were, are not photo models either.:p

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not strictly an advertisement, but a publicity shot from the 1934 film, The Girl From Missouri. Interesting to see a record player in a box from that era, apparently sitting atop a speaker. All you movie buffs will probably instantly recognize Jean Harlow, the "blonde bomshell" of the 30s who was the leading sex symbol of her day (she died three years after this picture, just 26 years old).
View attachment 177499
She does look good!

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ha! I found the missing Hifi guys! (see #39). Plus appropriate advertising for this thread, in the same link.What a coincidence.:p

View attachment 177602

View attachment 177603

She looks good too, quite similar in vibe and appearance to one of my ex's albeit with less crooked teeth, but I like a bit of character! They should market audio gear like this again, it appeals!:p

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Turntable? check.
"Girl" (I think that this may be a somewhat inappropriate term in 2022 ;) )? check.

Not an ad per se, but certainly a demonstration. :)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Turntable? check.
"Girl" (I think that this may be a somewhat inappropriate term in 2022 ;) )? check.

Not an ad per se, but certainly a demonstration. :)

Hehehe. Our fearless leader of Canada refers to this situation as, "Peoplekind." because you can't use "mankind" and girl is age related. :facepalm: It's ridiculous. :D

DanielT

Major Contributor
@mhardy6647 here is a video of him using it... sigh* :facepalm:
This silly PC ..

Mankind. So kind to men. ?

I got a kindhearted woman, do anything in this world for me
I got a kindhearted woman, do anything in this world for me
But these evil-hearted women, man, they will not let me be

I love my baby, my baby do not love me
I love my baby, my baby do not love me
But I really love that woman, can not stand to leave her be

Ain't but the one thing, makes Mister Johnson drink
I'm worried about how you treat me, baby, I'm starting to think
Oh, babe, my life does not feel the same
You breaks my heart, when you call Mister So-and-So's name

She's a kindhearted woman, she studies evil all the time
She's a kindhearted woman, she studies evil all the time
You well's to kill me, as to have it on your mind

Peoplekind. Kind to people.

DanielT

Major Contributor
OT, because it's not vintage, but still.:D

shot_2022-01-19_08-36-35.png

And then the video commercial about that solution:

Edit:
When I think about it, that commercial was just a little fun and nothing out of the ordinary,

Last edited:

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
View attachment 180029
Ha ha where is that picture from? But! Is there any Hifi ad? Or ..well or ...it was nice in itself that but.:)
That looks like a Rek-O-Kut turntable, judging by the head shell. I have no idea what the other stuff in the picture is however. :facepalm:

Top Bottom