• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Vintage Audio Advertising

DanielT

Major Contributor
Advertising from 1923.

radiola_loud_speaker_uz_1320_1254763.jpg

radiola_loud_speaker_uz_1320_1254764.jpg

shot_2022-04-10_20-07-43.png

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Braun.jpg

1955 Braun catalog image from dasprogramm.co.uk

To me, one of the remarkable things about Braun was how abruptly they changed their image: Earlier Braun radios, for instance, tended to look similar to many other German radios of the era, with dark glossy wood finishes, ivory-colored bakelite controls, and gold accents. But for 1955, they made a switch to the "Ulm School" look.

dr0ss

We still have leather butterfly chairs in the living room, exactly like the one in that picture. I wish I had that console. There is an old Grundig console in storage that I always meant to restore, but the amp is quite crowded with what looks like 1000 capacitors, so probably too much work.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I have to admit that I'm intrigued at the apparent run of advertisements that put the ass in cassette.

Not to sound too cheeky, but I may have to get to the bottom of this.
I just hope I won't be the butt of any jokes.

Boris Badinov

Master Contributor
The Humorist
I doubt that one ran in the US (although I could well be wrong)... this one definitely did, though, with some even more gratuitous quasi-nudity. ;)

s-l1600.jpg
In reference to the post above yours (#83), I don't know if that ad ran in the US, but in the early '80s those drawers she is wearing appeared on a girl I knew every time she went to a certain bar and restaurant on the water in Miami. I've never seen so many men slapped by their wives/dates as she made her way to the ladies room!

OP
KellenVancouver

KellenVancouver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Don't read Arabic, but can tell this old newspaper advertisement is for a Phillips bakelite tube radio. The intriguing thing, perhaps, is that this ad appears to be for a BX135U model (released 1954), which was the model featured in the film "Lethal Vows" (selenium extracted from the radio was used as a poison by the bad guy). Also found a modern-day pic and added below. Note the rather weird band progression (graduates from right to left instead of the "normal" left to right... maybe that has something to do with Arabic-speaking markets and reading right to left?).

1649713776863.png

1649713868788.png

Hugo9000

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't know if it's common knowledge, but the person at the ad agency credited with creating the Is it Live or is it Memorex? series of ads was married to an amateur Egyptologist. She showed him this example from a popular Middle Kingdom advertising campaign and he was off and running:

Is it live or is it Memorex.jpg

In the original ad campaign, legendary harpist Meryhathor's longtime collaborator/bandleader (note his ancient 'baton' in hand) and his own wife famously couldn't tell the difference between his live performance and the recording.

Memorex simply substituted jazz royalty Ella Fitzgerald, and Count Basie as the discriminating listener who likewise couldn't tell the difference!

Memorex.jpg

(Nota bene: My ancient Egyptian is a bit rusty, so there may be a few inaccuracies in my account of the matter.)

DanielT

Major Contributor
An ass- essment of the prevalence of sexism in advertising these days.I picked up an article in the pile that addresses that::)

Some companies that do not want to be ass-ociated with sexism:

Of course frequently occurring and joked about in various films and series:

Clarifying clip from the movie Spinal Tap, the album cover they wanted, see attached picture.

Attachments

• ESMXPTaW4AcuLsy.jpg
    ESMXPTaW4AcuLsy.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Top Bottom