• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Vintage amplifiers that could challenge or approach current state of the art amplifiers

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Krell FPB series... One of the best amps of its time. Still is exceptional today. Some krell fans still prefer the old FPB compared to newer ones
Did a little homework to refresh my memory on the Krell's. It's been over 25 years since Martin Colloms measured the FPB 600 for Stereophile. For such a large powerful amp it does appear to have offered a design that should bring a fairly transparent sound quality to any lucky owner today if still in spec.
(I had forgotten that Martin used to handle much of the measurement chores over at Stereophile.)
I can't immediately think of any other art form where a person or a group of people can make something glorious and beautiful only to have some so called engineer come along and turn it into a pile of shite.
Amplifer design is not a "Art Form". It's an exercise in technical design based on decades of accumulated scientific knowledge.
That's where you went off the tracks.

Robin L

Master Contributor

Lionheart-UK

I would love to see one of the Quad current dumpers measured. They were a common sight among European music lovers, and were a very innovative design with their feed forward topology. I own a refurbished 405-2 and a refurbished 606-2 and both are still offering excellent service, but that is just an impression as I have no measuring gear.
I also still have the Quad 303 that I bought as a student, but that is by now an outdated design, of course.
What is your view on them, John, as you are likely to have one or more of them, assuming that with their British origin quite a few were sold in Australia (is that true?).
I had my Quad 405-2 recapped last year and to be honest to my ears it's comparable to most of my more recently purchased amps and betters a fair few, It just sounds right in my setup.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I had my Quad 405-2 recapped last year and to be honest to my ears it's comparable to most of my more recently purchased amps and betters a fair few, It just sounds right in my setup.
Dirty little secret; despite today's objective improvements in measured performance, amplifiers of 50 years ago sound much like amplifiers of today. Amplifiers now just have more power generally and are cheaper per watt.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Dirty little secret; despite today's objective improvements in measured performance, amplifiers of 50 years ago sound much like amplifiers of today. Amplifiers now just have more power generally and are cheaper per watt.
Efficiency has increased quite drastically. Not surprising, because everything from engines to lightbulbs, has too.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Efficiency has increased quite drastically. Not surprising, because everything from engines to lightbulbs, has too.
Yes, I forgot to mention that.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Yes, I forgot to mention that.
For restricted spaces, it is a massive plus. Less heat means you can stack up devices or mount them on tighter racks.

Space is also interesting, considering that with class D´s, you can build a behemoth of an amp on a really tight volume.

clearnfc

Amplifer design is not a "Art Form". It's an exercise in technical design based on decades of accumulated scientific knowledge.
That's where you went off the tracks.

Regarding this, i have to say some amps looks really gorgeous.. so in this aspect, i think we can say that amp is design is indeed an art, at least for the asethetics part.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Regarding this, i have to say some amps looks really gorgeous.. so in this aspect, i think we can say that amp is design is indeed an art, at least for the asethetics part.
True enough, some are beautiful, and some fugly.
Problem is, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. ;)

novice

Have not built one in awhile but was amazed how well the various "gainclones" pushed all the buttons from an all-in-one chip. Same for the Sanyo/Sanken power packs from 20 years prior. At some point very good is very good enough, at least for me.

novice

He just doesn't want his gear to sound like everyone else.

Sales period. How many times have you read statements along the lines of,
"Ignore the measurements" "it sounds more real " "numbers mean nothing" "trust your ears only"
That could be boiled down 2 ways though. One from a strictly marketing standpoint (positioning & blurbing) and the other is the designers personal pref. Perhaps non-linearity was the goal as it was more enjoyable...euphonic perhaps...to him?

There's more to the 'ignore the measurements' marketese. IMO, most of those comments likely derive from the original quote (paraphrased & certainly bastardized) over the last ~6 decades which was "Sounds good, measures bad.". But they don't continue on the the last part, "You're measuring the wrong thing." (Daniel Recklinghausen, HH Scott). Which I took as there was still data to be quantified & analyzed not that it didn't exist or was irrelevant.

TL;DR, I agree.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

SirPaulGerman

Those pictures are from someone else, I am working on a list for parts, the amp is from 1987, is working fine but is going to need a recap and is a best, super heavy

Top Bottom