• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Vintage amp to sub rca??? No Speaker/Line input option

JPsDeskSet

Hi All,

I am looking to add a small sub to my Pioneer SX780. Challenge is my favorite little sub, the Mirage mm6 only has RCA inputs, no speaker/line inputs.

Trying to figure out the most economical way to integrate my sub into the equation. I hear tape out isn't a great idea as the level isn't high enough. Was thinking about running the sub as the B speakers with a "speaker wire to stereo RCA adapter."

Would that be recommended, using the LFE and volume controls on the sub to balance my speakers?

Is there a better way to do this? Really don't want to have to find a different sub with line level speaker wire options.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I hear tape out isn't a great idea as the level isn't high enough.
Probably too high, but it's no-good because tape-out isn't affected by the volume control. If it has preamp-out that will work.

Was thinking about running the sub as the B speakers with a "speaker wire to stereo RCA adapter."
That's the best solution without getting a different receiver or a different sub.

Would that be recommended, using the LFE and volume controls on the sub to balance my speakers?
That's fine and the only way you can do it with what you have.

Is there a better way to do this? Really don't want to have to find a different sub with line level speaker wire options.
Speaker inputs on an active sub are the same kind of attenuator as a "speaker to line" adapter. Except the attenuator is inside the subwoofer.

A couple of notes -
A "proper" crossover would block the bass going to your main speakers, and you'll be sending the bass to both. It's usually not a big deal, but not "ideal" unless you need the extra bass. (The sub will have a low-pass filter built-in. so that half of the crossover is taken care of.) And active crossovers run at line-level so a separate crossover wouldn't work with your setup anyway. This is a feature built-into all AVRs.

Technically "LFE" is the "point one" Low Frequency Effects channel on a surround-channel soundtrack. The LFE goes ONLY to the subwoofer and it's thrown-away in a stereo downmix. An AVR has "bass management" so you can optionally use the built-in crossover to re-route all of the bass to the sub, or you can send the regular bass to the regular speakers and just use the subwoofer for the LFE.

Top Bottom