• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Vinnie Rossi ultracapacitor power supply products - what happened to them?

Music1969

Major Contributor
I noticed Vinnie Rossi has stopped with the ultracapacitor PSU based products.

Anyone know why?

In principle I thought they were a clever idea at solving mains power related issues (ground / leakage loop / RF related issues etc).

Maybe @amirm 's eye opening review and look inside played a part?

I guess Armir's conclusion killed that pretty idea i (and others) had

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...y-review-and-comparison-to-uptone-lps-1.1853/

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
IIRC Amir and Vinnie Rossi corresponded, and Vinnie decided that the product didn't provide benefits and wasn't worth pursuing.

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
IIRC Amir and Vinnie Rossi corresponded, and Vinnie decided that the product didn't provide benefits and wasn't worth pursuing.

Interesting. I missed that.

It wasn't just the DC powersupply like amir reviewed.

He had his big integrated amp (called the LIO) which featured a big bank of ultracaps.

And modular parts.

The idea seemed really cool but the execution was found by amir to be shockingly bad.

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
1606316835746.png

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
He had his big integrated amp (called the LIO) which featured a big bank of ultracaps.
It's one of those examples where one aspect of the design is prioritized way ahead of everything else.

I don't think I've seen measurements of the LIO though.

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
I hadn't seen those measurements in a while.

Now I see why he stopped making it LOL.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To be fair to VR, I don't think the measurements are why he discontinued the LIO. Actually, I think there are a couple of major reasons. First, while the concept was brilliant, it ran its course of PLC and as most of you know, people that purchase boutique style equipment like to have something new and different.

Further, IMO, VR needed to do something "big" to really take his business to another level so naturally making something more expensive and having distribution worldwide is what he decided on. At $24k for the L2i with phono and dac, I think there's margin there to make some real money and lets face it, audiophiles really like the dick swinging contest so more expensive does mean 'mo betta. :)

That's my .002

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor

That doesn't guarantee leakage current isolation from mains power tho?

That's what the claim was - 2 banks of ultracaps , switching from one to another, the active one isolated from mains power while the other "recharges".

I really dug the concept but both Amir and JA showed it wasn't immune to AC leakage at all. So the active bank was still connected to mains.

Loved the modular concept too - swap out a DAC module when newer and better chips and overall design became available.

Sadly wasn't able to execute and measure well in it's key areas of claims though.

Top Bottom