• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

[Video] Speaker measurements by Danny Richie

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I am the one who confirmed the measurements on the youtube video (Justin Rogers)

I eyeballed it but did take them from about a meter away... Will be happy to do 1 and 2 meters tonight.. FYI I also ordered the crossover kit from Danny and will be happy to also take before and after measurements if anyone is interested?
I am interested as well. :)

kejar31

sure cleaning dirty old binding posts will help but mine are practically new.

D

Deleted member 2944

I am the one who confirmed the measurements on the youtube video (Justin Rogers)

I eyeballed it but did take them from about a meter away... Will be happy to do 1 and 2 meters tonight.. FYI I also ordered the crossover kit from Danny and will be happy to also take before and after measurements if anyone is interested?
Before you measured them, did you have any audible inkling there was a huge dip in the response there?

Dave.

OP
maty

maty

Major Contributor
YouTube You CAN'T handle the TRUTH! with GR-Research

Same loudspeakers Behringer B2030P with same crossover but with different quality components. The sound difference is very noticeable with my small coaxials.

Okay all of you nay sayers, flat Earthers, etc.
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=87808.0

Optimized

Behringer-2030P-crossovers.jpg

Last edited:

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
An air coil has for example less distortion at high currents compared to an iron core coil and big MKP capacitor has different ESR value than a small elektrolytic type, this are factors that can be measured and modelled and change the behaviour of the crossover, just the nominal values don't fully electrically describe RLC elements.

OP
maty

maty

Major Contributor
Well, weeks ago I improved the crossover of the Q100 and the sound improvement was spectacular, as I said. Bypass the tweeter M.D.L. cap with Miflex KPCU-01 0.02uf 600Vdc and changed the sand Bennic resistor with Mills MRA.

KEF-Q100-crossover-Miflex-KPCU-01-001uF-capacitor-Mills-06R8-5-watts-resistor.jpg

I cam not find a logical / credible explanation for such an impressive sound difference. First the condenser and weeks later the resistor.

Last edited:
OP
maty

maty

Major Contributor

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I look forward to seeing the Klippel test on them with and without the "upgrade" Nobody else has the balls to send them to Amir for testing.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Well, weeks ago I improved the crossover of the Q100 and the sound improvement was spectacular, as I said. Bypass the tweeter M.D.L. cap with Miflex KPCU-01 0.02uf 600Vdc and changed the sand Bennic resistor with Mills MRA.

View attachment 49787

I cam not find a logical / credible explanation for such an impressive sound difference. First the condenser and weeks later the resistor.
Confirmation bias , logical and creditable explanation .

D

Deleted member 2944

Same loudspeakers Behringer B2030P with same crossover but with different quality components. The sound difference is very noticeable with my small coaxials.

Optimized

View attachment 49735
That set of speakers has been making the rounds for years. I had them about 5-6 years ago and had to repair multiple soldered connections inside because of the poor workmanship. I don't know if the previous folks who auditioned them were listening to them broken or not.

I did verify (by measuring at the woofer/tweeter terminals) the two crossover networks were yielding the same electrical response. They were pretty close, but not exact. Not close enough that I would consider it a valid A/B comparison.
Those speakers are okay stock. They don't need to be "fixed" by Danny Richie.

Dave.

LDKTA

Optimized

View attachment 49735

No two loudspeakers will measure identically. Danny is full of it and NRD (Jon) is just a shill if you ask me. Danny doesn't even believe in DB/ABX testing.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
What? How did you listen to them? Suggest using the seek bar in youtube window to jump between the two samples back and forth. Once you do that, there is no audible difference to speak of. Try it on the last clip that is longer.

D

Deleted member 2944

Actually, now that I look back at the original AC thread, I realize it was nine years ago I repaired these speakers and evaluated them. Time flies. :)
And btw maty, they're not B2030P speakers. You might want to read the (entire) original thread and the back/forth I had with Danny on the whole concept of the comparison.
I can't believe this tiresome comparison is still a topic of conversation this many years later.

Dave.

OP
maty

maty

Major Contributor
Same Behringer with same modifications but with different quality componentes in the crossover. The sound difference is notorius.

KEF Q100: first I changed the condenser bypass (NOS polystyrene) in a box and compared. With me was the same person who with the previous bypass was not able to appreciate it but now we both hallucinate with the change. I used the best version of Hotel California (Eagles) of the many that I have in all types of formats. And that with just one speaker!

A few weeks later I did the same process with the resistor. A big difference, not so spectacular, but very striking. We both appreciate it.

Probably the big improvement is also due to the fact that the original capacitor and resistor are very bad. But with the cheap NOS polystyrene only I was able to appreciate the difference, much smaller, hence the big surprise, I did not expect that sound.

The expense is minimal and anyone can try to verify it for himself. With a quality recording and high DR.

Top Bottom