• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

[Video] Speaker measurements by Danny Richie

OP
maty

maty

Major Contributor
https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-RP-8000F-Reference-Premiere-Floorstanding/dp/B07G9PKV4N?th=1

29 customer ratings -> 4.8 out of 5 :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Amazon-Klipsch-RP-800F-customer-reviews.png

D

Deleted member 2944

Did you look at the conditions of those two graphs before you posted them? The on-axis response from audioholics is essentially flat but only degrades when moving way off axis. (As might be expected.)
Danny Richie claims a huge dip in the response on axis. So, clearly something vastly different in either the particular speaker tested and/or the testing scenario between these two objective measurements.

When a large measurement discrepancy like this exists between two speakers, I'm inclined to disbelieve both of them. At least until a 3rd or 4th or etc measurement comes along to validate one or the other.

Dave.

ta240

Major Contributor
Did you look at the conditions of those two graphs before you posted them? The on-axis response from audioholics is essentially flat but only degrades when moving way off axis. (As might be expected.)
Danny Richie claims a huge dip in the response on axis. So, clearly something vastly different in either the particular speaker tested and/or the testing scenario between these two objective measurements.

When a large measurement discrepancy like this exists between two speakers, I'm inclined to disbelieve both of them. At least until a 3rd or 4th or etc measurement comes along to validate one or the other.

Dave.

And this is the fun of amateur measurement; it can be a bit like subjective reviews since, as far as I know, there isn't a protocol or standard setup for the testing that everyone uses. Products reputations can be pumped up or deflated based on flawed testing and upgrades that may or may not be needed might be sold and added too.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
I wonder why audioholics don't give a normal xy frequenceresponse on axys at least? In the gr movie this thing looks realy not good. And in 3d from Audioholics it's nearly not to see. I love 3d but sometimes i prever also a 2d plott. I cant move or zoom in this 3d plot. So a 2d plott i would prever.

OP
maty

maty

Major Contributor
From the YouTube thread:

Justin Rogers

I took my own RP-8000F speakers and ran REW to take a measurement (1/6 smoothing on the graph) I know it’s not perfect but it does validate the measurements Danny took. Also note: I went ahead and measured the woofer too so people can stop complaining about that https://imgur.com/gallery/iop64TH
Optimized

Klipsh-RP-800F-hole-validated-by-Justin-Rogers.png

Last edited:

ta240

Major Contributor
I'm not sure where the last poster measured from but an explanation on audioholics forum makes sense, at least to me.
https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/klipsch-rp-8000f-tower-speaker-review.114334/page-5
A couple people commented that if you measure large speakers with drivers spaced like that up too close it can give results that lean more that way. Since the speakers are designed for listening at a much greater distance the two drivers don't have a chance to mix as much by the time they are measured. It makes sense as to why audioholics measurements show a slight dip there and GR's show a really big dip.

OP
maty

maty

Major Contributor
If I am not wrong, the standard is to measure a 1 m. Stereophile?

It is also true that floorstanding loudspeakers could also be measured at a greater distance, 2 m as Audioholics did. If they were me, I would make measurements at 1 m and at listening point, small and big loudspeakers.

Last edited:
OP
maty

maty

Major Contributor
The last loudspeaker review: https://www.stereophile.com/content/magico-m2-loudspeaker-measurements
I used DRA Labs' MLSSA system and a calibrated DPA 4006 microphone to measure the Magico M2's frequency response in the farfield, and an Earthworks QTC-40 mike for the nearfield and in-room responses...

120MagM2fig3.jpg

Fig.3 Magico M2, anechoic response on tweeter axis at 50", averaged across 30° horizontal window and corrected for microphone response (green), with the nearfield responses of the midrange unit (red) and woofers (blue) respectively plotted below 350Hz and 7 00Hz.

120MagM2fig8.jpg

Fig.8 Magico M2, cumulative spectral-decay plot on tweeter axis at 50" (0.15ms risetime).

Last edited:

ta240

Major Contributor
If I am not wrong, the standard is to measure a 1 m. Stereophile?

It is also true that floorstanding loudspeakers could also be measured at a greater distance, 2 m as Audioholics did. If they were me, I would make measurements at 1 m and at listening point, small and big loudspeakers.

That makes sense. I don't think anyone is going to listen to speakers this large at 1 meter. The measurements, at 1 meter, might be fun for comparison but they really don't apply to real world applications of the speakers.

And if GR is selling an 'upgrade' to improve the 1 meter performance what will that do to the actual listening position performance?

This is the classic youtube version of the world where a product gets slammed and the followers do what followers do and just go along with it; bash the product and anyone that likes the product.

Does Klipsch really need to put a sticker on speakers that are nearly a foot wide, a foot and a half deep and 3 1/2 feet tall that says "not recommended for use as a near field monitor"? Because that is what they were tested as.

OP
maty

maty

Major Contributor
I thought there was a standard and it was respected. It turns out that, in room or free field, everyone measures the distance they want :(

On the other hand, it is clear that the loudspeaker design is wrong, as Danny Richie explains very well in the video (original 2 ways -> new 2.5 ways). It could be understood in an amateur, in DIY, but not in a company with so many years of history as Klipsch. Another explanation is that they knew what they were doing and the reason was none other than cost savings in a crossover with fewer components.

https://www.google.com/search?q=loudspeakers+2.5+ways

-> https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/287986-2-5-crossover-post4639652.html

B&W DM 630i.JPG

B&W DM630 crossover.JPG

B&W DM 630 FR.PNG

Last edited:
OP
maty

maty

Major Contributor
One reason to measure at 1 m -> crossover design!!!

OP
maty

maty

Major Contributor

kejar31

I am the one who confirmed the measurements on the youtube video (Justin Rogers)

I eyeballed it but did take them from about a meter away... Will be happy to do 1 and 2 meters tonight.. FYI I also ordered the crossover kit from Danny and will be happy to also take before and after measurements if anyone is interested?

OP
maty

maty

Major Contributor
All measurements are always welcome. And an invitation to eat cookies too. :)

Tell us if you notice the difference with the new binding posts.

Last edited:
Top Bottom