• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Video Called "Hear Sound Loss in Speaker Cable"

delta76

Major Contributor
Silver is a little better conductor than copper, but gold is actually a little worse conductor than copper. Silver sulfide is conductive, though not as much as pure silver, whilst copper oxide is an insulator IIRC so effectively non-conductive. Gold is resistant to oxidation, true, though the thin deposition (plating) of most conductors means it wears through quickly. Alloys are usually used as they are harder (and typically somewhat more conductive depending upon the alloy) and cheaper.
true, forgot about gold is less conductive than copper. but the point remains - they are better than copper for connectors, for durability reasons, not for audible difference.

Danish authorities state on their website that the company must have documentation ready for their marketing claims, which is the only sensible way regardless of what fallacies are disputed in the process, and it is also illegal to omit important documentation in a way that misleads potential consumers and creates more audiophools (the quotation is translated by Google):

well, then let's see if there is someone suing them for that claims. as I said I am not happy with their statements, but parts of them still make senses, and they seem to tread quite carefully to not upset either side. you probably haven't watched a lot of "reviews" on cables then :)

all in all, I'd give them a pass. I'd never watch a video from retailers for opinions anyway.

OP
Audiofire

Audiofire

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
well, then let's see if there is someone suing them for that claims. as I said I am not happy with their statements, but parts of them still make senses, and they seem to tread quite carefully to not upset either side. you probably haven't watched a lot of "reviews" on cables then :)

all in all, I'd give them a pass. I'd never watch a video from retailers for opinions anyway.
I don't need to waste my time on watching those "reviews", but it is a problem when I go to a retail website like this and find that the marketing is just "reviews" that are opinions:

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
true, forgot about gold is less conductive than copper. but the point remains - they are better than copper for connectors, for durability reasons, not for audible difference.
Durability? Copper is harder than gold, though gold alloys are generally harder than pure copper. Gold is often plated over silver or nickel to provide a strong(er) "base" material. Lack of oxidation is the biggest benefit of gold connectors. To me that is different than durability but guessing just a difference in definitions. And yah none of this should be audible unless the connector is broken...

Speedskater

Major Contributor
The conductivity differences of gold, silver, copper and super-duper copper only comes into play when all the wires are exactly the same length and have the same cross-section area.

DonR

Major Contributor
Gold is also non-reactive to other metals. Copper not so much.

delta76

Major Contributor
Durability? Copper is harder than gold, though gold alloys are generally harder than pure copper. Gold is often plated over silver or nickel to provide a strong(er) "base" material. Lack of oxidation is the biggest benefit of gold connectors. To me that is different than durability but guessing just a difference in definitions. And yah none of this should be audible unless the connector is broken...
Yes I meant "chemical durability", whatever the term is actually is (english is not my native language). You do not plug unplug your speaker wires everyday (unless you have a showroom) so the mechanical durability is not very important

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I made it to about 60 seconds in of the last video only and felt myself dying inside so I turned it off.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
A 100 meter straight length of speaker cable?
There is very little added inductance in a coil of cable. Much of the two conductors fields cancel out.

Probably capacitance and resistance too. We had rolls where there was enough in the centre sticking out the 'hole' to connect. I remember hooking the 100m roll to speakers B and 3M of wire to speakers A to the same pair of speakers. Thing about an A/B switch is they are common ground, so I really only listened to one 100M conductor in the twin pair- so yes, there was likely a ton of inductance as well.

dr_mick51

I've listened to a coil (100M roll) of speaker wire versus a straight piece. Inductance is killer.
I'm really interested in doing this test myself. But I'm confused about the 100m straight piece of wire. Did you route the wire though the whole house? With the amplifier on the other end?( I think my house is not big enough for this test) And for the second test you place the amplifier next to the speaker with the coiled wire? The idea is to test the speakers on the same room/position for both test, right?
Edit: ok. I saw your explanation at the end. So basically you are comparing a 100m of coiled wire against a 3m straight wire. You have tons of resistance and capacitance on the coiled wire. It's not inductance the culprit.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
The cables can be on reels. One pro-audio guy did this test by connecting all the cable reels he had in series (almost a mile total).
He didn't find much if any difference.

Gregss

Correct. Don't underestimate cables. They know exactly that they should sound as their skin looks like. This is widely known as the skin effect.
And don't forget the color of the cable has such an influence on the sound. Red and yellow are quite bright. :)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
And don't forget the color of the cable has such an influence on the sound. Red and yellow are quite bright. :)
This is something to think about if you use an extension cord on sale. The price may be right, but...

cochlea

Forum Donor
That is why silver plated copper is best. The brightness of the silver is balanced by the warmness of the copper.

/s

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That is why silver plated copper is best. The brightness of the silver is balanced by the warmness of the copper.

/s
The silver being a good hedge against retirement, too.

kongwee

Major Contributor
Silver plated isn't much higher in price if you diy. You don't worry about oxidisation. You can keep in smaller gauge than pure copper. I used lot of silver plated.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
Silver plated isn't much higher in price if you diy. You don't worry about oxidisation. You can keep in smaller gauge than pure copper. I used lot of silver plated.
Where did you get that idea about smaller gauge for silver plated wire? Even with solid silver there is no real gauge advantage.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm sorry, but you got that wrong.

Red and yellow are the rich warm tones similar to tube sound. Silver and blue are the brighter sounding cable colors. :facepalm:

Top Bottom