• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Video Called "Hear Sound Loss in Speaker Cable"

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Like room modes? LOL.

Of course, is not the cable. I showed you this to make my point.

Unless one is using the headphone, there will be many more severe issues in the frequency response caused by the room and room acoustic than cables, amplifiers, speakers, tube connectors and etc.
:)… and I have yet to see people using 30m long headphone cables;)

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Like room modes? LOL.

Of course, is not the cable. I showed you this to make my point.

Unless one is using the headphone, there will be many more severe issues in the frequency response caused by the room and room acoustic than cables, amplifiers, speakers, tube connectors and etc.

Oh, ok sry didnt got it. Sure has a room a much bigger influence than tube connectors.;)

OP
Audiofire

Audiofire

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
To make things worse, I have so many room treatments that I don't know where to put the new ones to deal with these issues.

Should I worry about silver vs copper cable at this point?
Or hook up an EQ setting somewhere in the signal path?

bo_knows

Or hook up an EQ setting somewhere in the signal path?
I'm not sure how EQ (DSP) can successfully deal with those deep dips. I guess on the bright side, they are very narrow and inaudible.
I'm planning to address those, just need more knowledge, experience, and time to figure out how to fix it with the passive room treatments.

Essentially, I need to play those frequencies and walk around the room with an SPL meter and look for the highest reading and then place the appropriate room treatment there.

Last edited:

tomtoo

Major Contributor
I'm not sure how EQ (DSP) can successfully deal with those deep dips. I guess on the bright side, they are very narrow and inaudible.
I'm planning to address those, just need more knowledge, experience, and time to figure out how to fix it with the passive room treatments.

Essentially, I need to play those frequencies and walk the room with an SPL meter and look for the highest reading and then place the appropriate room treatment there.

EQ cant deal with interferences.

maty

Major Contributor
The mutual influence of speakers, amplifiers and cables

Alles-Overzicht-1536x865.png

Alles-Overzicht-1536x829.jpg

There are a lot of graphs!

BTW, the Purifi Eigenkat EVAL2 mono "is pretty immune to the speaker, we see. Impressive."
The mutual influence of speakers, amplifiers and cables.png

dorakeg

The mutual influence of speakers, amplifiers and cables

View attachment 225826
View attachment 225827

There are a lot of graphs!

BTW, the Purifi Eigenkat EVAL2 mono "is pretty immune to the speaker, we see. Impressive."
View attachment 225828

Nice. Thanks for posting this information. I always believe that amps, cables and speakers do interact with each other. Looks like they do make a difference.

In this test, they connect the scope to the terminals on the speaker. I am thinking it may be possible to place a mic in front of the speaker (say 1m away) and record the sound produced. Then compare it with the graphs taken from the terminals. I am wondering if there will be a big difference.

Last edited:

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes fully agreed, esp when you comnect the mic to a socket on the floor/wall. There is a long cable from the socket to the equipment. Furthermore, cables are routed via trays, trunking etc which means they do no go in a straight line.
Don’t confuse Mic XLR Balanced cables with speaker or headphone cables (non-balanced) - different voltages and different built.

The context here was humorous and referred to headphone cables in a home setup.

delta76

Major Contributor
Discussions often arise about the importance of cables. At HiFi Klubben, we recognize that cables make a difference, but it is also important to get the proportions. If you buy a regular, good stereo system, make sure you buy some real speaker cables. Make sure the length is as short as possible and the thickness is as optimal as possible in relation to the length. The vast majority of speaker cable we sell is in thickness from 1.5 mm to 4 mm, and most pull 1-10 meters to each speaker. If you make sure you are in control of the relationships between these things, then you are 95% of the way to ensure that the cables do not become the limiting factor in your system.
this is sensible advice. I think as a retailers, they are doing the "acceptable" things. mind you, they need to be profitable as well, and risking loosing portion of most profitable customers (cable believers) is not something they can afford. as long as they do not upsell each and every customer with ridiculously expensive cables, I will give them a pass.
I would care more about their return policies, their after sale service than some statements regarding cables.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll say, I always use the softest extension cords I find on sale for speakers. I can hear the greater musical flexibility, and the harmonic interconnectedness is audibly faster.

dorakeg

Don’t confuse Mic XLR Balanced cables with speaker or headphone cables (non-balanced) - different voltages and different built.

The context here was humorous and referred to headphone cables in a home setup.

Sorry, my mistake. I will remove my post immediately.

Powerbench

My toast “burn-in” about 4 mins…..and they sound different then too…)

OP
Audiofire

Audiofire

Forum Donor
this is sensible advice. I think as a retailers, they are doing the "acceptable" things. mind you, they need to be profitable as well, and risking loosing portion of most profitable customers (cable believers) is not something they can afford. as long as they do not upsell each and every customer with ridiculously expensive cables, I will give them a pass.
I would care more about their return policies, their after sale service than some statements regarding cables.
It is actually illegal to make unverifiable marketing fallacies like this (the quotation is translated by Google):
If you choose a more high-end cable, the manufacturer has worked to further minimize the loss in the cable or processed the metal in a way that optimizes the cable towards a certain type of sound or installation. You can, for example, silver the conductors to increase the conductivity or work with different connectors and terminations at the end of the cable, which make the actual connection to the speakers and amplifier better.

We recognize that there is a difference between the cables and the methods, but the important thing is again the proportions. If you buy a system for DKK 10,000, it is not worth buying cables for another DKK 5,000. The actual effect of the cable is far less than if, for example, you upgrade the electronics or the speakers. The placement of the speakers also often makes a bigger difference than the cables, as long as you have the basics in place.

Last edited:

delta76

Major Contributor
The only part that is disputable is this

in a way that optimizes the cable towards a certain type of sound or installation

other parts make sense to me (silver or gold definitely improve contact, as they are both better conductor than copper and more resistant to rust. if that actually makes an audible difference, I would say no.
Same as the proportion. they are saying wires should be the last of your upgrade list.

IANAL so I can't comment regarding the legal aspect, but for once their claims are much, much less bogus/ridiculous compared to the marketing materials from the cable makers.

as I said, I'm not exactly happy with those statements, but find one retailer that explicitly disavow cables. all in all, they need to survive and make some profit. Would they want to piss off cable believers who would spend thousands of $ on cables, and will likely come back for more, to please some ASR readers who would go buy the cheapest cables off amazon? Was that even a question to them?

OP
Audiofire

Audiofire

Forum Donor
as I said, I'm not exactly happy with those statements, but find one retailer that explicitly disavow cables. all in all, they need to survive and make some profit. Would they want to piss off cable believers who would spend thousands of $ on cables, and will likely come back for more, to please some ASR readers who would go buy the cheapest cables off amazon? Was that even a question to them?
Danish authorities state on their website that the company must have documentation ready for their marketing claims, which is the only sensible way regardless of what fallacies are disputed in the process, and it is also illegal to omit important documentation in a way that misleads potential consumers and creates more audiophools (the quotation is translated by Google):
When the company begins to market the product or service, the company must have certain knowledge that it can provide documentation for the claim.

The documentation must be available at any time if it becomes necessary to document the claim. Therefore, it may be a good idea for the company to obtain the documentation already when the marketing of the product or service begins.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
other parts make sense to me (silver or gold definitely improve contact, as they are both better conductor than copper and more resistant to rust.
Silver is a little better conductor than copper, but gold is actually a little worse conductor than copper. Silver sulfide is conductive, though not as much as pure silver, whilst copper oxide is an insulator IIRC so effectively non-conductive. Gold is resistant to oxidation, true, though the thin deposition (plating) of most conductors means it wears through quickly. Alloys are usually used as they are harder (and typically somewhat more conductive depending upon the alloy) and cheaper.

Top Bottom