• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

(Video) Before the Review: Dutch & Dutch 8c Bookshelf Speaker

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe you've seen the famous Bob Ross Chia pet?

1609211079941.png

direstraitsfan98

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Do you take speakers sent in to you for review similar to how Amir does?

direstraitsfan98

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yes. I've asked on the forum before for certain speakers. That's how I got the Bose 901's I reviewed a few months ago.

If I wind up getting a new pair I’ll keep you in mind. I appreciate your no nonsense, honest and candid reviews, without the nonsensical quips, jabs, and snide remarks peppered within.

BenB

These have a more limited horizontal dispersion than the BMRs, but Erin found them to have a wider soundstage (correct me if I'm wrong, Erin). If that's the case, I wonder if we have to consider whether reflections off the front wall (the one behind the speakers) contribute to a narrowing of the soundstage. Certainly ipsilateral reflections widen the soundstage, and the BMR should have stronger ones. If reflections off the front wall are perceived as a negative (though I suspect they can add a sense of depth... but it may always be the same depth, rather than recorded depth), I think we may also ask ourselves whether we want complicated cardioid speakers, or if we just want well designed on-wall speakers.

nerdoldnerdith

These have a more limited horizontal dispersion than the BMRs, but Erin found them to have a wider soundstage (correct me if I'm wrong, Erin). If that's the case, I wonder if we have to consider whether reflections off the front wall (the one behind the speakers) contribute to a narrowing of the soundstage. Certainly ipsilateral reflections widen the soundstage, and the BMR should have stronger ones. If reflections off the front wall are perceived as a negative (though I suspect they can add a sense of depth... but it may always be the same depth, rather than recorded depth), I think we may also ask ourselves whether we want complicated cardioid speakers, or if we just want well designed on-wall speakers.
The perception of soundstage can be manipulated with narrow dispersion speakers by agressively toeing them in. I don't know if this is why they sounded so wide, but others have described the 8C's soundstage as narrow, so it may be a reason.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
The perception of soundstage can be manipulated with narrow dispersion speakers by agressively toeing them in. I don't know if this is why they sounded so wide, but others have described the 8C's soundstage as narrow, so it may be a reason.

They have been anywhere between -10 to +10 degrees off-axis in my listening.

Interesting that others have found it narrow. Where have you seen those comments? Any specific reviews that you recall and can link? I’d be curious to know more about their particular setups (aiming, room, etc) to see if I/we can make heads or tails of the difference.

nerdoldnerdith

They have been anywhere between -10 to +10 degrees off-axis in my listening.

Interesting that others have found it narrow. Where have you seen those comments? Any specific reviews that you recall and can link? I’d be curious to know more about their particular setups (aiming, room, etc) to see if I/we can make heads or tails of the difference.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/dutch-dutch-8c-active-loudspeaker-system

"The sound was clean and sweet, with a narrow soundstage with solid center fill. Sorta small."

Top Bottom