• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Very Sticky Situation

iridium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Google aims to reduce pedestrian injuries in an accident by gluing a person to the hood.

Patent # US 9,340,178 B1

iridium.

Khaykin , et al.
May 17, 2016
Adhesive vehicle front end for mitigation of secondary pedestrian impact

Abstract
A system for protecting a colliding object from a secondary impact, after an initial impact with a vehicle, including a vehicle having a front end, an adhesive layer positioned on the front end of the vehicle, a coating positioned over the adhesive layer, wherein, upon the initial impact between the colliding object and the vehicle, the coating is broken exposing the adhesive layer to adhere the colliding object to the adhesive layer during the initial impact.

Inventors: Khaykin; Alex (San Francisco, CA), Larner; Daniel Lynn (San Jose, CA)
Applicant:
Name
City State Country Type

Google Inc.

Mountain View
CA
US
Assignee: Google Inc. (Mountain View, CA)
Family ID: 55919997
Appl. No.:
14/539,533
Filed:
November 12, 2014

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Google aims to reduce pedestrian injuries in an accident by gluing a person to the hood.

Patent # US 9,340,978 B1

iridium.
Could you produce some reliable evidence please?

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Generally when I mow folks down it because I want to get rid of them! Having these undesirables stick to my hood would be most inconvenient to say the least.

Not to mention the impact it will have on aero dynamics and over all chaises coefficient, this will hamper my evasion of the authorities as I speed away from the scene of the 'accident '.

Last edited:

TBone

Major Contributor
yeah, read that ... good to know next time I hit a deer ...

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Generally when I mow folks down it because I want to get rid of them! Having these undesirables stick to my hood would be most inconvenient to say the least.
+1 I keep my vehicle well waxed for just such occasions. :mad:

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Another issue, sometimes its tactically beneficial to reverse over the said undesirables to ' make dam sure'. The sticky bonnet will critically impair this vital option... We don't want them waking up and remembering your license plate now do we :eek:

OP
I

iridium

Just go to USPTO.com United State Patent and Trademark Office and enter the # .
It is all right there with Google as the Applicant, and Google now the owner of the patent.

iridium.

OP
I

iridium

Another issue, sometimes its tactically beneficial to reverse over the said undesirables to ' make dam sure'. The sticky bonnet will critically impair this vital option... We don't want them waking up and remembering your license plate now do we :eek:

This is a major position in the Google patent: keeping the person from having a secondary impact with the pavement and possibly run-over.

The next time you do the "reverse over said undesirables", please post video. I can think of many people applicable for the "reverse" & forward & reverse, etc.

iridium.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
This is a major position in the Google patent: keeping the person from having a secondary impact with the pavement and possibly run-over.

The next time you do the "reverse over said undesirables", please post video. I can think of many people applicable for the "reverse" & forward & reverse, etc.

iridium.
Not advisable to indulge too much regarding the reversing back over again and again. Things get stuck under your vehicle plus certain bodily elements conspire to reduce traction for the getaway.

It's the law of diminishing returns, that satisfying crunch loses its potency after a few trips over the ' mound'.

OP
I

iridium

YouTube: wife runs over husband for that "satisfying crunch".

iridium.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Got to hand it to the Google folks, they know how to turn a buck. What a bunch of sissies.
We need to bring a better balance to the earth and put a lot more dirtbags on the root of the turf. Go Mr Natural Strutin out in front of me and your toast! :eek:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It is a stupid invention. My solution would be airbags on the hood. As soon as pedestrian falls on it, it blows up, throwing said weight to the side, so that one can keep driving with clear vision!

OP
I

iridium

It is a stupid invention. My solution would be airbags on the hood. As soon as pedestrian falls on it, it blows up, throwing said weight to the side, so that one can keep driving with clear vision!

Use Reactive Armor.
iridium

From the thread: BMW launches Autonomous Car 2021:
Mine better have a full structural NASCAR cage & a full set of Reactive Armor, or No Sale.
Reactive Armor is the explosives on the exterior of military tanks that erupt outward away from the tank [when the tank is hit].

iridium

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Supposing you are just walking past a car and accidentally lean on it , will you be stuck fast?
What about pigeons and cats!
Keith.

OP
I

iridium

Supposing you are just walking past a car and accidentally lean on it , will you be stuck fast?
What about pigeons and cats!
Keith.

described in the patent as having some kind of “eggshell”-like coating over the main adhesive layer so the car doesn’t drive around scooping up pigeons.

iridium.

OP
I

iridium

Khaykin , et al.
May 17, 2016
Adhesive vehicle front end for mitigation of secondary pedestrian impact

Abstract
A system for protecting a colliding object from a secondary impact, after an initial impact with a vehicle, including a vehicle having a front end, an adhesive layer positioned on the front end of the vehicle, a coating positioned over the adhesive layer, wherein, upon the initial impact between the colliding object and the vehicle, the coating is broken exposing the adhesive layer to adhere the colliding object to the adhesive layer during the initial impact.

Inventors: Khaykin; Alex (San Francisco, CA), Larner; Daniel Lynn (San Jose, CA)
Applicant:
Name
City State Country Type

Google Inc.

Mountain View
CA
US
Assignee: Google Inc. (Mountain View, CA)
Family ID: 55919997
Appl. No.:
14/539,533
Filed:
November 12, 2014

Top Bottom