• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Very Nice Cheap Kit Speakers: HiVi/Swans DIY 2.2A & 3.1

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't worry, I will post soon the frequency response graphs with the stock crossover, the frd and zma files of the speaker and a new crossover design
Welcome to ASR!

Look forward to seeing your measurements.:)

D!sco

I've decided to go through the data Scott Sehlin posted on the 3.1's years ago. I want to create an EQ alternative to his crossover changes that creates a flat on-axis response and is not room dependent. To do this, I merged his nearfield data with a box simulation accurate enough for our purposes.

I would argue that the crossover is well enough designed, it's just wrong. The resistances are silly and the tuning is extremely bright. We all know this, we've all seen it, it's been discussed to death. Here's my simulation, done similarly to Scott's, but in VCAD.

It's bright.
var1 SPL.pngvar1 XO-schema-1.png
And if I throw in the estimated driver separation, our phase looks pretty great, I must say.
var1 GD+Phase.png
There are all sorts of variations, highlighted in green (but not run through the optimizer) that Scott made to the original crossover with incremental improvement.
var2 SPL.pngvar2 XO-schema-2.png

var3 SPL.pngvar3 XO-schema-3.png

var4 SPL.pngvar4 XO-schema-4.png

However, I'm sure the stock crossover can support equalization for tone. Starting with the stock crossover, I have a 6-band PEQ that can flatten the tone, and a 5-band PEQ that will tilt it for an extremely high preference score without a sub, for a total of 11 bands. It would make sense to ignore the 128hz EQ and simply correct for your room below 500hz, especially since the data here is simulated. I have previously shared my REW data and in-room response. This bookshelf can play 40hz in-room very well and very loudly. I am constantly impressed by this woofer.
HiVi 3.1 var5.1 SPL.pngHiVi 3.1 var5.1 XO-schema-5.png

HiVi 3.1 var5 SPL.pngHiVi 3.1 var5 XO-schema-5.pngScreen Shot 2023-05-20 at 09.58.56.png

A very worthwhile investment for the speaker quality. My old REW distortion measurements were at -60dB even as high as 110dB SPL in-room. I haven't seen a better deal in audio. JBL LSR-308's sound better at low volumes, but can't touch the SPL levels these reach. Dynamics are fabulous. Mine pull double duty as home theater mains and my main listening stereo. I keep thinking of bass boxes as stands and I'm nearly settled on the SB29NRX75-6 in series. With a bit of boost they hit 20hz no problem.

Last edited:

Gabbocasa

Welcome to ASR!

Look forward to seeing your measurements.:)
finally the measurements are completed.
tools list:
-motu m4
-aiyima a07
-smsl a300
-isemcon EMX-7150
measurement are taken in room with room eq, woofer and port nearfield measurement.

stock crossover:
stock crossover.jpg

definitive crossover:
10ohm resistors on the woofer are 20w, the 10 ohm resistor on the tweeter is 5w;
on the woofer use a 0.8mH inductor (jantzen ferrite core 0,8mH - 1,0mm, 0,182ohm rdc) less resistance is better.
definitive crossover, tested and measured.jpg

Lastly a crossover based on the original one but it has not been tested or measured.
based on stock crossover, untested..jpg

Regarding the THD you can give 18v to the tweeter without any particular distortion, and more than 22v on the woofer.

These are the changes made to the cabinet:
6mm chamfering on the baffle
2mm CTK bitomous dampening material
CTK CaiMat 8 500x400mm

Attachments

• Measure.zip
    384.4 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Top Bottom