• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Very Newb Question - Amp for 2 Outdoor Subs

ljn21

Hi Everyone - new member here, joined as I am just starting to look at some options for using separates for the situation I will explain below and am a little confused to be honest, a bit by terminology, a bit by just not really understanding how all of this works.

Here is my scenario - put a backyard pool in and looking at putting in a sound system. My original plan is to run 2 Sonos Amps, each running 3 pairs of architectural outdoor speakers, so 6 pairs/12 speakers total. Each Sonos has a sub out. I would like to run one of the Sonos Amp sub outs to a separate amplifier to run at least 2 subs placed out into the pool area. I am looking a either the OSD Forza 10 or the similar Dayton IOSub10...neither are really great options as far as subwoofers go but being out in the uncovered rain/sun/etc, not too many options that google gave me for outdoor subs.

OSD sub is rated at 300W (not sure if that is peak or RMS, asked them to clarify but don't have answer yet, lets assume for this question its peak), the Dayton is rated at 150W RMS/300W Peak (thinking this will be the same for the OSD, actually think they might be the exact sub, just re-branded/labeled...). So for either option, there is not a huge amount of power required...but reviews seem to indicate to feed them power at the high end of their spec to get better performance from them.

I was looking at possibly a Crown XLS 1002 or a Behringer A500 to run the 2 subs (open to recommendations for other/better amp suggestions)...my question other than how to interpret the Amp's power specs vs the subs required power specs is related to using a 2 channel amp...would the 2 channel amp output a stereo signal? I don't think I want a stereo signal going to the subs right? Both should play the same mono signal...if my assumption is correct. How would I use one of those amps or other recommend amp and run the 2 amps to get the same mono signal to them both? Both subs would be around 40-50 ft from the amp if that matters.

I also have an option I think with the 2nd Sonos Amp sub out as far as getting 2 mono/same signals...but in this scenario I think then I would need 2 separate Crown or Behringer amps, 1 Sonos output to each amp input which I really don't want to do for cost reasons. Also I was wanting to have a separate system in one screened area with a TV where the TV is ouput via HDMI to Sonos Amp 1 that can be run on its own with just 3 sets of speakers plus a 3rd separate sub in that area when we just want to watch a movie there or football or whatever, those 3 speaker sets and sub would all be either in the screen room or just outside in the dining/bar area where the TV is viewable vs playing the sound through all the other speakers on the far side of the pool, etc. when we don't need the 2nd Sonos Amp on/grouped to play together. Sub in this area is in a covered/screened area and is inside of bar cabinet so exposure to anything short of an actual hurricane would keep it dry so I am repurposing a Klipsch subwoofer sitting in a closet for now.

Appreciate any guidance on the question about how to get a mono signal to both subs from a single subwoofer amp and which amp would be recommended, thanks in advance!

OP
L

ljn21

reading the manual for the Crown XLS 1002, I think I may have found an answer for that one, I would run it in "Input Y" mode which if I am understanding right takes the input from 1 channel and outputs the same signal to both output channels which is what I would want, then I would set both channels to have a low pass filter...sound right? Is there an equivalent mode with Behringer? Confused on the Bridge vs Biamp 1, Biamp 2 modes in the Behringer manual...appears that Biamp1 and Biamp 2 would give me low pass filter on one channel and high pass filter on other channel which I wouldn't want

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
These two subs are so similar looking that I wouldn't be surprised if at least the enclosure were identical. It's probably a good idea that this one is built as a downfire sub, I presume a 10" outdoors can use all the boundary gain it can get (keeps it out of the weather, too). Well, going by typical outdoor speakers, chances are that it would have to be more of a "woofer" than a "sub" anyway, so crossover frequency may have to be chosen relatively high (120 Hz, possibly even higher).

Top Bottom