• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Very little knowledge in the speaker realm. Looking to get T1 Encore, thoughts?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Especially because this will concern approximately 0.1% of their target audience. :cool:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I found it interesting that Serenius felt that the image was small. I do wonder about the effect of the visuals.... Then again, it's Serenius, who might be one of the three least reliable reviewers they have.

No comment on the T1 Encore (yet), but the image thrown by the T0s is HUGE. Oldsters will remember the LS3/5As doing that trick, and the T0 does it as well, but has far smoother response.

Krunok

Major Contributor
.. but the image thrown by the T0s is HUGE.

Speaking of perceived image size, what would you say is the relation between it and directivity graphs? For example, is it that speakers that disperse the sound wider generate more reflections which result in wider image? Or..?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Good question, which translates to, "I don't know." I'm sure it's related to smooth polar patterns and lack of significant diffraction artifacts, and it very well may be the width of the angle before rolloff starts.

Perhaps smarter folks might have a data-supported idea and help decrease my ignorance. My own (possibly erroneous) observation is that a small baffle seems to help in this regard. The other way is when you have massively huge baffles in super-speakers, but in those cases (unlike wee little minimonitors) things like solo guitar seem exaggerated in size; ditto most dipoles and omnis.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Good question, which translates to, "I don't know." I'm sure it's related to smooth polar patterns and lack of significant diffraction artifacts, and it very well may be the width of the angle before rolloff starts.

Width of which angle? Rolloff of what? :)

Perhaps smarter folks might have a data-supported idea and help decrease my ignorance. My own (possibly erroneous) observation is that a small baffle seems to help in this regard. The other way is when you have massively huge baffles in super-speakers, but in those cases (unlike wee little minimonitors) things like solo guitar seem exaggerated in size; ditto most dipoles and omnis.

Your reasoning with small baffle looks logical to me but wouldn't it affect only LF and to some extent MF, but not higher frequencies?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Rolloff of the treble with increasing angle. For point source radiators, the idealized graphs shown by Toole in his book seem to correlate well with good imaging as well as good tonal balance.

Small baffles tend to have fewer audible issues with edge diffraction, and the smaller they are, the more it's moved out of the midrange.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Rolloff of the treble with increasing angle. For point source radiators, the idealized graphs shown by Toole in his book seem to correlate well with good imaging as well as good tonal balance.

Small baffles tend to have fewer audible issues with edge diffraction, and the smaller they are, the more it's moved out of the midrange.

That would imply that a small box coupled with a sub would have a wider image than equivalent standmounter, right?

Which reminds me that @mitchco also mentioned that LS50 and a sub did have wider image than his JBLs. He, as a guy who is used to listen to studio monitors may not prefer that kind of sound but probably there would be a number of folks who would find it attractive, me included. :)

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
When you say "coupled with a sub," do you still mean stand-mounted, but crossed over to a sub?

Krunok

Major Contributor
When you say "coupled with a sub," do you still mean stand-mounted, but crossed over to a sub?

Yes, small box on a stand with a coupled sub somewhere below, like what Mitchco did with LS50.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I ran the T0s on stands with a sub. If it made the image bigger, I did not notice that. Then again, I'm one of those people who don't run the sub so high that you think, "Wow, listen to that bass!" At least since I left my teen years...:D

Krunok

Major Contributor
I ran the T0s on stands with a sub. If it made the image bigger, I did not notice that. Then again, I'm one of those people who don't run the sub so high that you think, "Wow, listen to that bass!" At least since I left my teen years...:D

I think you misunderstood me - I wasn't expecting a sub to make image bigger. I wass expecting a small speaker to make bigger image than larger speaker and sub is there only to help small speaker with LF. :)

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
You're right, I did, despite your astonishingly good English. :D

And I suppose the answer is, "It depends on the 'bigger' speaker." They do create a larger soundstage than my (much larger) reference speakers, more of a "you are there" rather than "there is here," if that doesn't sound too garbled.

Krunok

Major Contributor
You're right, I did, despite your astonishingly good English. :D

LOOL You sound as realistic as a lady in a local coffe bar who sometimes addresses me with "looking good today young luv, aren't we".. :D
MY guess is she knows she'll get a good tip for that, but no tip for you! :D

Reactions: SIY
Top Bottom