• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Very little knowledge in the speaker realm. Looking to get T1 Encore, thoughts?

Tks

Major Contributor
https://darko.audio/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/vanatoo-t1e-1-1.png

Ive been looking at reviews for the past month or two, and they've slowly been trickling in.

Stereophile (yeah yeah I know I know) recently did their review so I checked out the measurements, but I don't know what I ought be looking out for if I'm being perfectly honest because I haven't concerned myself with speakers much at all since I got into audio.

Now I'm not at all serious about speakers, this will be simply a purchase to toss out a nonsense soundbar gone to shit, and to also entertain guests and have a nice piece. I settled on powered speakers (because otherwise I'll need to buy the Benchmark that was recently reviewed, knowing myself). And these seem to have all the creature comforts I want with the I/O, and heck even Bluetooth input, and a pretty cool concept of a passive radiator, as well as simple sub-out.

Do any folks here have any opinions, for or against getting these? Really have my heart set on them, but was wondering if there is any serious fatal flaw I am missing.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I have a pair of these in for review and measurement.

You will not be unhappy. I can't say more than that.

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
For a few dollars more, the Kanto TUK is due to hit stores in late July. It should cost about $800 .

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a pair of T0 and they're the speakers that made me realize my Magnepan 1.7s were.. not super accurate, haha. I think the performance of the Vanatoo stuff is VERY impressive for the price.

I do think the T1 are a bit on the smaller side for what I'd prefer for home theatre speakers. But then I like to play loudly and be overwhelmed by the sound of the music. It also depends on your room size somewhat. I use my T0 as nearfield PC desktop speakers.

I think at "normal" volumes they'd be absolutely fantastic.

OP
Tks

Tks

Major Contributor
Thank you both

@VMAT4 Just a question if you don't mind me asking for clarification, why those?

@Sancus Max Volume isn't too much a consideration living in an apartment. I wish I could rock out like you do (that's only slightly possible on weekends where the laws are more lax with making a ruckus.

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
They've been getting a lot of press after being displayed at audio shows. These speakers feature a similar sized woofer, an AMT tweeter, and a sub out as well. Kanto makes six and eight inch subs to work with their powered speakers.

I thought these speakers might be up your alley as well.

OP
Tks

Tks

Major Contributor
Ah I see now, I thought perhaps you experienced them yourself and thought maybe that was the better choice.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Daverz

Major Contributor
https://darko.audio/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/vanatoo-t1e-1-1.png

Ive been looking at reviews for the past month or two, and they've slowly been trickling in.

Stereophile (yeah yeah I know I know) recently did their review so I checked out the measurements, but I don't know what I ought be looking out for if I'm being perfectly honest because I haven't concerned myself with speakers much at all since I got into audio.

Those are otherwise such amazing measurements for $600 powered, DSP-crossover speakers that I feel churlish wondering aloud why they didn't use the DSP to time align the drivers.

As mentioned in the subjective review, small speakers like this are probably going to be disappointing at climaxes when cranking up Bruckner or Mahler.

"My hubby passed through the living room on his way upstairs, commenting as he did so on the different recordings."

An amusing variation on an old audio reviewer cliche.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tks

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Those are otherwise such amazing measurements for a $600 powered speaker that I feel churlish wondering aloud why they didn't use the DSP to time align the drivers.

Perhaps they think that getting the frequency response and polar patterns right have a higher priority? In which case I'd agree with them.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The only concerns I see in the Stereophile measurements are a slight excess of off-axis energy around 4kHz, and what appears to be a rather resonant box. Not terrible sins given the price.

Daverz

Major Contributor
Perhaps they think that getting the frequency response and polar patterns right have a higher priority? In which case I'd agree with them.

Would you have to sacrifice those other priorities? Would it take too much DSP power?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Would you have to sacrifice those other priorities? Would it take too much DSP power?

Perhaps, but since "time alignment" is of extremely questionable audibility and fr/polar pattern aren't, why worry much about it? For non-coincident sources, there have to be tradeoffs, and this strikes me as the most reasonable one.

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Latency! As a speaker for "normal users," the T1E requires a low-delay mode for video sync. Phase correction would add R&D time/cost, additional development/hardware for a mode selection feature (& its documentation), and greater support costs.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not to mention that, despite decades of research, there remains no published, peer-reviewed evidence of the audibility of the type/degree of phase distortion caused by crossovers like those in the T1.

Sorry, I realise that non-constant group delay is out of fashion these days, but this is audio science review, not audio technology review ;)

Krunok

Major Contributor
.. "time alignment" is of extremely questionable audibility

I fully agree with you, but they could have still fix phase response as well as it would cost them nothing and step response would look nice when measured. :D

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I fully agree with you, but they could have still fixed phase response as well as it would cost them nothing and it would look nice when measured. :D

Assuming they use off-the-shelf OEM DSPs, it’s likely that FIR-capable models would have cost them more IMO.

EDIT: I should have said “FIR-capable models with sufficient tap length to produce a linear-phase speaker”.

Last edited:
Top Bottom