• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Very efficient speakers (100 dB), how important is amplifier power?

OP
F

Flavio

Congratulations on your amps.

The simplest way to break a ground loop is to not have a ground connection in your power cord. Double insulated components do this the right way. Strangely, when I visited the Taiko Audio site, this product is nowhere to be found. Taiko seems to be primarily involved with out of this world priced music servers.

Taiko made the amp in limited numbers.

Chrise36

Major Contributor
A lot of vintage horn guys do use tube amps. I was going for a more up-to-date approach, using a SOTA driver by TAD and a 25W class A SS amp, the J2. As you mentioned earlier, the quietest power amp does no good if you are feeding noise to its input, so I resorted to a 14dB pad from the DSP unit. If I put my ear to the horn I can just barely hear hiss when nothing in the house is making noise, so I'm satisfied. And yes, it is dynamic, and gives a presentation somewhat like listening to headphones.
Interesting setup any further info/pictures?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting setup any further info/pictures?
Man Cave.jpg

A view into the mancave.

20150404_140943.jpg

One of the perps.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Very high WAF!
Lol! A friend married a musician. She allows him to keep his horn speakers in the living room because she likes the sound. He has the same horns in a more conventional TM arrangement.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think we need another thread for this lol
You think? Haven't seen a lot of excitement here about big speakers or horns. But start one and I'll participate.

Chrise36

Major Contributor
How do you find this as a thread
Your horn system:
drivers xo points measurements amps pictures etc
You think? Haven't seen a lot of excitement here about big speakers or horns. But start one and I'll participate.

Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Mrs. H did permit my rather large Altecs in the living room of our house in MA (House 3.2, as it was lovingly monikered).
My wife, as I have often pointed out on multiple fora, is a saint.

When we designed House 4.0 for our retirement to NH (Live Free or Die!), we both preferred a purpose-built hifi nook. The up side is that I had more room for junk, and out of the mainstream of the house. The down side is -- well, the same thing. The place is a mess, albeit a cheerful one! ;)

I generally kept the LR in House 3.2 fairly tidy, since it was right off of the main entrance hall (not that we used it for much other than the hifi). Generally. :facepalm:

(N.B. I had no control over the cat's peregrinations ;))

benanders

This thread began with LA’s of sorts, so I’ll horn in again towards that end ;)

I value high efficiency, however one’s transducer arrangement permits it.

C6E8A7A0-7D20-49F7-8910-6FFDC43A9B98.jpeg

Edit: cut myself off -
The tube amp is rated 65 wpc, the SS 150 wpc (1 channel driven into 8 ohms). The speakers are ~5.33 ohms.
There’s no real world need for the pot on either getting near 12:00.
No audible hiss yet unless part of a track. Love how good amps for high efficiency speakers don’t necessarily have to be ultra high end or ultra high power.

Last edited:
Top Bottom