• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

nico1

Hello, I recently bought a new DAC (Topping D90SE) but I'm having a hard time making it work properly at 24 or 32 bit via the Windows Sounds settings, it sounds super noisy at any kHz (from 44.1kHz to 384kHz) and also buying a Ground Loop Isolator (Topping HS01) didn't resolve the problem. However when I switch to 16 bit at any kHz (from 44.1kHz to 384kHz) it sounds fine, no noise. Of course both the drivers and the firmware are up to date.

I was wondering why I'm experiencing this problem and if there is a fix. I paid a pretty penny for this DAC and I can't even make it work at the bit rate I want...

Thanks to everyone who will try to help me.

Zek

Major Contributor
What audio player are you using?
Set it in the audio player to be exclusive, use ASIO or Wasapi, that way you will bypass the Windows audio mixer.

Vincent Kars

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Pretty weird problem.
A simple test, use another PC. Don't instal drivers, just use the standard Win USB audio. If this works, it is not a faulty unit.

OP
N

nico1

Pretty weird problem.
A simple test, use another PC. Don't instal drivers, just use the standard Win USB audio. If this works, it is not a faulty unit.
I already tried to connect it to my MacBook via USB and it works like a charm, but I think MacBook makes it run natively at 16 bit which is not what I am aiming for...

OP
N

nico1

What audio player are you using?
Set it in the audio player to be exclusive, use ASIO or Wasapi, that way you will bypass the Windows audio mixer.
I just use TIDAL. I just installed ASIO but I searched the web and I think it's not possible to use ASIO drivers on TIDAL.

OP
N

nico1

You can and should contact the Topping service center.
Oh yes, there is no Topping service center.
So...
I already did that but after a few emails they started ignoring me, their products are very good but, as you said, there's no customer service at all...

OP
N

nico1

Check your Audio Midi settings.
OSX is UAC2 compatible for years so you should be able to set the bit depth to 24 and/or 32
Thanks, I just tried what you said and I hear very little to zero noise, but it's still there. Approximately once every 10 seconds I hear a "bop" (Still way better than the Windows experience so far). However I'm trying to make it work properly on Windows, I don't use the MacBook as my main machine. I tried playing some music using foobar2000 with ASIO drivers and exclusive access and it works flawlessly with no noise at all so this means the DAC doesn't have any problems. I was wondering how I can make it work for any apps. I want it work at 24/32 bit without noise on Windows regardless of the application.

OP
N

nico1

Check your Audio Midi settings.
OSX is UAC2 compatible for years so you should be able to set the bit depth to 24 and/or 32
I think I found the problem, using exclusive access mode both via Windows mixer and TIDAL it now sounds great when MQA is on, but the issue is that the DAC keeps switching randomly from PCM to MQA and vice versa while playing music every 10/15 seconds.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can and should contact the Topping service center.
Oh yes, there is no Topping service center.
So...
I’ve contacted Topping a couple times and they have always responded in a timely manner.

JasonC331

Forum Donor
Do you have the latest firmware? You will need the drivers installed to update the firmware if one is available.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Have you tried different USB cable?We have read again and again that sometimes the included ones are faulty,etc.
(and I hope you don't use any very long one)

OP
N

nico1

Have you tried different USB cable?We have read again and again that sometimes the included ones are faulty,etc.
(and I hope you don't use any very long one)
I don't have any USB-A to USB-B cables apart from the one they included in the box, I'll try to get a new one and see if it solves the problem then.

Sokel

Master Contributor
I don't have any USB-A to USB-B cables apart from the one they included in the box, I'll try to get a new one and see if it solves the problem then.
Don't get some fancy one,any non hair-thin,decent certified one will do.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I'd guess it's little glitches/gaps in the digital audio stream due to multitasking and buffer underflow. That will sound like noise unless the gaps are long enough to perceive as silence. And even then you get "clicks" or "pops" when the sound cuts in-and-out in the middle of a wave.

That means it's probably "something else" not related to the audio application or the audio hardware.

The operating system is always multitasking, even when you are only running one application. There are background processes, drivers, etc.

The data is written to the buffer (like a holding tank or a long pipe) in a quick burst, and it flows-out at a smooth constant rate. If something hogs the system for a few milliseconds too long, the buffer doesn't get refilled in time and you get buffer underflow and a glitch in your audio.

Whatever is hogging the system doesn't have to be using a lot of total processor time... It only has to hog the system for a few milliseconds too long.

With a higher sample rate or higher bit depth there is more data and you are more likely to have a problem.

...When recording, there is also a buffer. This one works the opposite way. The buffer is filled at a smooth-constant rate and the data is written to the hard disc at a smooth-constant rate. In this case the danger is buffer overflow.

Last edited:
OP
N

nico1

Don't get some fancy one,any non hair-thin,decent certified one will do.
I've got some new cables, it seems like they fixed the problem, will update in a week if the problem hasn't returned.

Top Bottom