• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Verum , racist and vile please don't give him business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's 3 people, at least if all their health issues are resolved. :) But yeah, if they just finished the KS backers' pairs like 1-2 weeks ago, I'd say the delivery time for any post-KS orders will be way more than 6 weeks, more on par with what Massdrop used to do when they were still Mass. :p But there's every indication that it should be worth it.
No, I listened to the pair delivered to somebody from Kickstarter BEFORE I ordered mine 8 weeks ago.

shanecoughlan

Forum Donor
It's 3 people, at least if all their health issues are resolved. :) But yeah, if they just finished the KS backers' pairs like 1-2 weeks ago, I'd say the delivery time for any post-KS orders will be way more than 6 weeks, more on par with what Massdrop used to do when they were still Mass. :p But there's every indication that it should be worth it.

That’s really cool. Do you have a link to show us who is involved beyond @Garuspik?

abm0

Forum Donor

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey all, regarding delivery schedule, I just spoke with @Garuspik over at Head-Fi (private message but he is also active in this thread). He said any questions reach out to him there or via the website. He also noted that the website is showing his current delivery schedule.
OK, I have PMed him. I am not in a particular rush since I only infrequently use headphones and I have others but my order was confirmed on 17/3/19 with a 3-4 week delivery estimate. I had forgotten it was that long ago - thanks to your post I am chasing them up.

Ratatoskr

I am documenting my experience with the decision to purchase here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ver...mance-diy-planar.887175/page-35#post-14950906
And here:
https://medium.com/@shanecoughlan

I will be posting detailed information once they arrive.

Quite an achievement, you were responsible for a moderator closing new member registrations at SBAF. TL;DR Shane Coughlan posted on the Verum Audio thread with a rambling essay on his decision making process just to purchase a pair of Verum 1 phones, adding noise to the thread at a forum which takes pains to advise new members that a high SNR is expected to be maintained.

Last edited:

shanecoughlan

Forum Donor
Shane Coughlan posted on the Verum Audio thread with a rambling essay on his decision making process just to purchase a pair of Verum 1 phones, adding noise to the thread at a forum which takes pains to advise new members that a high SNR is expected to be maintained.

I think the decision to invest in a new product from a new company provides value, particularly given the current low level of information about the product, and its profile rising to the point where it attracts people outside of the original audio threads and Kickstarter. When it comes to seeking information on Verum 1, these few threads are where people will land, and provide a natural home to deliver context.

Others may have different options. That’s fine, and indeed as long as a post identifies what it is about, no one is compelled to read it. However, immediate hostile commentary on that forum is indicative of a community that is insular and potentially toxic. That’s unfortunate but useful to know too.

Edit:

Back on topic, yavormoskov at Head-Fi has some photos and case notes on a newly arrived pair here. He has some listening notes here and here. Latter is a little excited. Meanwhile, some sonic criticism here.

Last edited:

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have received a reply from Verum audio, informing me my order from 17/3/19 will be shipped in about 3 weeks.
I don’t know if 11 weeks is typical or if “the squeaky wheel gets the oil” and he has been sending out units to people who hassle him at the expense of people who leave him alone.
If so, I am unimpressed so has anybody else ordered and received them post Kickstarter in less than 11 weeks?

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
....... don’t know if 11 weeks is typical or if “the squeaky wheel gets the oil”.....

Garuspik has in the past been very transparent about his shipping schedule. I am not saying that everything shipped exactly at the expected date, but that his reasons for shipping some orders before others had to do with his colors/finishes manufacturing schedule rather than favoritism. That is, particular finishes (like my silver/carbon fiber phone) were sent out in batches. So, not totally based on the order date.

He has been very active on Head-fi and more so on SBAF, so you could ask him about how shipping dates are set. My pair, and it seems most pairs, were flawless. This surprised me, I expected less from a 1st time manufacturer with a hand built product. He appears to have chosen quality over speed.

Some recent Garuspik posts on SBAF indicate there may be two other Verum headphones being developed. A single side driver model, for less $$, and a higher end model. Also, a planer tweeter for loudspeakers.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Garuspik has in the past been very transparent about his shipping schedule. I am not saying that everything shipped exactly at the expected date, but that his reasons for shipping some orders before others had to do with his colors/finishes manufacturing schedule rather than favoritism. That is, particular finishes (like my silver/carbon fiber phone) were sent out in batches. So, not totally based on the order date.

He has been very active on Head-fi and more so on SBAF, so you could ask him about how shipping dates are set. My pair, and it seems most pairs, were flawless. This surprised me, I expected less from a 1st time manufacturer with a hand built product. He appears to have chosen quality over speed.

Some recent Garuspik posts on SBAF indicate there may be two other Verum headphones being developed. A single side driver model, for less $$, and a higher end model. Also, a planer tweeter for loudspeakers.
Thanks. I think I have been a member of Head-fi but haven’t been there for years. SBAF I have only heard about here and it didn’t make me want to go there.
I sent him an email and just got a message saying they would be shipped in 3 weeks. He could have apologised or explained if he had wanted to. On my order confirmation it said 3-4 weeks originally. I chose a wood finish, maybe that is the reason, he didn’t say. I can’t be arsed to ask any more questions if he can’t be arsed to completely answer the one question I have asked.

Veri

Master Contributor
I sent him an email and just got a message saying they would be shipped in 3 weeks. He could have apologised or explained if he had wanted to. On my order confirmation it said 3-4 weeks originally. I chose a wood finish, maybe that is the reason, he didn’t say. I can’t be arsed to ask any more questions if he can’t be arsed to completely answer the one question I have asked.

Note that due to the many hundreds of ordered Verums, they are just shipped out like that. It could be it's well under way to you, there's no tracking :/

Last edited:

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I may be overly sensitive to criticism of Garuspik because I think what he has accomplished is a remarkable..perhaps unique, feat. I cannot think of another recent audio start up that has successfully created and shipped a mid/low priced product as complex as planar headphones from the ground up with no investment besides the Kickstarter orders, and no employees. Can you think of another?

I expect that at some point Verum will hire a full time customer service/PR rep who can greatly improve communications so that it better matches that of established audio firms.

I pointed towards Head-Fi and SBAF (as did shanecoughlin) because the threads there provide a much more complete picture of who you are dealing with, but also a lot more information on other users experiences and quite a bit of Garuspik's insight on how to get the most out of the Verum 1.

I do not think you need a membership to view the SBAF Verum 1 thread.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I may be overly sensitive to criticism of Garuspik because I think what he has accomplished is a remarkable..perhaps unique, feat. I cannot think of another recent audio start up that has successfully created and shipped a mid/low priced product as complex as planar headphones from the ground up with no investment besides the Kickstarter orders, and no employees. Can you think of another?

Vanatoo, perhaps? Maybe Kali, don't know how they were funded.

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Vanatoo, perhaps? Maybe Kali, don't know how they were funded.
Your right, but I should have worded it "created, manufactured, and shipped", as Kali and Vanatoo are, I believe, made in China.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Your right, but I should have worded it "created, manufactured, and shipped", as Kali and Vanatoo are, I believe, made in China.

That is my understanding as well. The manufacturing is subcontracted (which I personally think is a smart business decision).

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Antonio Meze (but he did not design his own drivers)

Jerry Harvey (Ultimate Ears) but this certainly isn't a recent startup

Last edited:

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not that due to the many hundreds of ordered Verums, they are just shipped out like that. It could be it's well under way to you, there's no tracking :/
No, as I wrote, he said mine would ship in about 3 weeks. That will be 11 weeks since order confirmation. He did not say why. He could have if he wanted. Yes he has a lot to do with the launch of his new company.

shanecoughlan

Forum Donor
I sent him an email and just got a message saying they would be shipped in 3 weeks. He could have apologised or explained if he had wanted to. On my order confirmation it said 3-4 weeks originally. I chose a wood finish, maybe that is the reason, he didn’t say.

@Frank Dernie, I sense a fellow traveller from the British Isles! Delighted to connect. Note below.

I may be overly sensitive to criticism of Garuspik because I think what he has accomplished is a remarkable..perhaps unique, feat.

@GGroch, you make a great point.

As you may have noticed I use my real name for transparency. I work in the technology industry, specifically around open source, and my area of focus is in building cooperation between diverse groups of companies around the supply chain. I am here because @Garuspik is doing something very interesting and it catches my personal interest of engineering and production.

Making a device of any sort is difficult. Making a production run of a device, with the attendant quality control requirements, is an order of magnitude more difficult. It is interesting to see @GGroch note "My pair, and it seems most pairs, were flawless. This surprised me, I expected less from a 1st time manufacturer with a hand built product. He appears to have chosen quality over speed."

Reading through @Garuspik's various posts, he spent two years preparing the concept, and used the Kickstarter to build out an order book of around 500+ headphones. At one point he noted that the first 250 devices had occasional quality control issues, but the second 250 had no similar reports, and he was proud of that.

So we are dealing with an individual who is dedicated to making things to fit a vision of mass production. He has two employees and is fine-tuning processes on the fly. If there are flaws he immediately asks for people to return the defective device for analysis and repair. It is very promising, and there are many notes that align positively around his deployment, with the sole exception being shipping.

He is clearly having some difficulty in scaling. Personally, I am glad he is prioritizing quality of quantity, but I concur with @Frank Dernie that this is not always acceptable. Delays of 11 weeks are a bit much for a production product. Not unheard of though! Just look at the Galaxy Fold...and @Garuspik is one person plus two starting from scratch.

Yet...I really, really hope my headphones arrive in the 6 week window they were promised. If not, I will be noting this, and their eventual delivery time, and their eventual quality in terms of build and sonics. I believe these experiences provide snapshots that will help inform future potential users. But we are all really early adopters. In my experience these hiccups are not uncommon.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I should say I am not perhaps as upset as some people may think :)
I chose to order them after listening to somebody else’s and being very impressed.
I forget which finish I ordered but have a feeling the choice was no longer available a few days later, so maybe I just missed the end of a batch (though I could have been told).
Anyway I ordered them because I thought they were great and admired the guy starting it up.
I would have chased it up earlier if I wasn’t a forgetful old bloke who actually already has plenty of headphones and mainly listens to loudspeakers.

Icboschert

Forum Donor
I was one of the first 100 to receive a Verum 1 and although they are my first "audiophile" headphones, I'm extremely happy with them. I'm using a JDS Atom and OL DAC with it. Bass definition is really good but electronica or hip hop bass doesn't sound the best. Either a function of it being an open design or perhaps planar? Not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom