• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Verum Audio Verum 1 Review (Headphone)

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 13 6.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 22 11.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 87 45.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 71 36.8%

• Total voters

Tks

Major Contributor
119dB/V is indeed high for a planar.
The 6.6 ohm is a bit on the low side.
A possible downside that some portable devices may not have 150mA output current capabilities to reach the 1V.
Another possible issue is that the cable resistance can start to play a role.

I hope Igor (@Garuspik) addressed the failing drivers and channel imbalance (some drivers became higher impedance, possibly a poor contact inside) and some tinkering with pads he made.
It always kept me from buying one.
Good effort. He planned to launch a Verum-2 and wanted to make a higher resistance version but it seems only the Verum-1 is available.
Lots of talk on SBAF from the early days. He was well liked until the incident there mentioned in the OP.

It was born out of a kickstarter project end 2018 but had been tinkering on it from 2016.
Now we have HE400SE for half the price of the Verum-1 but in 2018 only T50RP were low in price.
The guy on the picture isn't Igor b.t.w. :)

Also measured by Oratory and Crinacle

hey solderdude

Any idea of how trivial (or not) is it to simply offer a headphone in a higher ohm configuration? I've heard someone say in the past it's really not much of an issue with dynamic drivers, and the only reason high resistance existed was to avoid having your ears blasted in a studio with all the switching going on (less possibility of a massive volume change when you have something like 600ohm+ headphones).

PeteL

Major Contributor
hey solderdude

Any idea of how trivial (or not) is it to simply offer a headphone in a higher ohm configuration? I've heard someone say in the past it's really not much of an issue with dynamic drivers, and the only reason high resistance existed was to avoid having your ears blasted in a studio with all the switching going on (less possibility of a massive volume change when you have something like 600ohm+ headphones).
The race for near zero headphone outputs impedance on equipment,particularly professional equipment, is fairly young.15-20ohms is common, on Mixing boards, or any equipment that needed monitoring really, so to not hurt the response, well it did make sense to go high impedance, and there are even cases where there was simply no actual amps, 600 ohms, really in some case you can go straight from a line out, it will work, it will not be very loud but it’s « compatible ». that´s mainly the Idea, maybe what you say too, safety from switches and stuff. For the rest of your statement yeah I’m no solderdude. I was just putting my view on « the only reason » statement.

Reactions: Tks

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am using EQ with all my headphone, but even with EQ, the Sundara is quite thin, lacks impact, you just cant change the headphone, frequency response is just the tonality, not everything. For example, the Focal Clear and the HD800 will never sound the same, even if you use EQ to match the Harman curve.
I think your experience is more to do with unit to unit variation thereby making published EQ's less valid, or the Harman Curve is not an optimised response for you. Yes, I'm well aware that different models of headphones EQ'd to the same target won't sound the same, as that is my experience too, and there's reasons for that like the unit to unit variation aspect I mentioned but also the fact that different headphone models react in unpredictable ways to different people's anatomy vs what is measured on GRAS - how big this last effect is I don't know. I suppose it could be that the Sundara is having some particularly unusual interactions with your own anatomy that is causing your observations, but it's hard to know if that's the case or not. Ultimately, you could still fix the Sundara using EQ, but it's not easy if things like published measurements/EQ's are not working for you.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
hey solderdude

The high impedance came from the time of tube outputs and using speaker amp outputs directly.
Voltages out of equipment were high but current sometimes not.
Also one could connect many headphones in parallel without any issues.
There also were low impedance headphones in those days. Usually just small speakers encased in a headphone.
Also 2000 ohm even existed (early HD414 for instance).

The way the verum membrane is made (the material used) is what makes the driver that low impedance. He must use another foil or thinner/more traces to increase the impedance which makes the driver more susceptible to failure.
This is kind-of DIY territory. hifiman, audeze etc. have other materials and specialized techniques and can make higher impedance drivers.

One can use some resistors in series to increase the impedance a bit but at the cost of efficiency.

With low voltage devices low impedances became essential to create enough power. 16 to 50 ohm is needed. Because current doesn't have to be an issue anymore 12 ohm or even lower is not strange anymore.

Maiky76

This is a review and detailed measurements of the Verum Audio Verum One (1) headphone. It was kindly ordered by a member and drop shipped to me. It costs US $349.
View attachment 190699
Verum is a one-person DIY originated design and company. There is controversy around the owner which you can read here. Please don't comment on it in this thread. Company is located in Ukraine sadly.

It has a custom look which belies its low cost.

The headphone is large but somehow doesn't seem heavy despite its weight:

View attachment 190700

Note: The measurements you are about to see are made using a standardized Gras 45C. Headphone measurements by definition are approximate and variable so don't be surprised if other measurements even if performed with the same fixtures as mine, differ in end results. Protocols vary such as headband pressure and averaging (which I don't do). As you will see, I confirm the approximate accuracy of the measurements using Equalization and listening tests. Ultimately headphone measurements are less exact than speakers mostly in bass and above a few kilohertz so keep that in mind as you read these tests. If you think you have an exact idea of a headphone performance, you are likely wrong!

Fitment on the measurement fixture was easy.

Verum Audio Verum 1 Measurements
Let's start with our usual frequency response measurements:
View attachment 190701

I was impressed by the exact channel matching. Compliance is good for reasonable range in audio band. Bass as is the case with many headphones, doesn't rise up to our preference target. There is also shortfall of energy between 1.5 and 7 kHz. In relative terms, it looks like this:
View attachment 190702

There is almost no distortion at 94 dBSPL across the full frequency band (blue):
View attachment 190703

But then we get narrow spikes in mid frequencies which tend to suggest resonances. We can see correlation with this (a weak one) in group delay:

View attachment 190704

Here is our distortion in absolute levels:

View attachment 190705

Impedance is flat but exceptionally low:

View attachment 190706

Fortunately this is counteracted with very high sensitivity:
View attachment 190707

Verum One Listening Tests and Equalization
Out of box response is good with nothing that would be bothersome at all. On female vocals, I found it very acceptable as there is not a lot of bass in those tracks. As usual though, I like to use EQ to get close to our target:

View attachment 190709
Spatial qualities and naturally bass response improved now. Detail was excellent and overall experience very enjoyable.

I tried to tease out the mid frequency distortion but I could not. Bass response was so strong at high volumes that I feared for my ears. :) My RME ADI-2 DAC had no trouble pushing this headphone even at -10 to -15 dB.

Conclusions
I can't fathom how a single person could design and manufacture these headphones yet sell them for just $349. Response out of box is good enough that you could use them if you have no EQ ability. With EQ, their performance rises to quite a high level, putting a smile on my face.

I am going to recommend the Verum One headphone without EQ and strongly so with EQ.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Here are some thoughts about the EQ.

Notes about the EQ design:
  • The average L/R is used to calculate the score.
  • The resolution is 12 points per octave interpolated from the raw data (provided by @amirm)
  • A Genetic Algorithm is used to optimize the EQ.
  • The EQ Score is designed to MAXIMIZE the Score WHILE fitting the Harman target curve (and other constrains) with a fixed complexity.
    This will avoid weird results if one only optimizes for the Score.
    It will probably flatten the Error regression doing so, the tonal balance should be therefore more neutral.
  • The EQs are starting point and may require tuning (certainly at LF and maybe at HF).
  • The range around and above 10kHz is usually not EQed unless smooth enough to do so.
  • I am using PEQ (PK) as from my experience the definition is more consistent across different DSP/platform implementations than shelves.
  • With some HP/amp combo, the boosts and preamp gain (loss of Dynamic range) need to be carefully considered to avoid issues with, amongst other things, too low a Max SPL or damaging your device. You have beed warned.
  • Not all units of the same product are made equal. The EQ is based on the measurements of a single unit. YMMV with regards to the very unit you are trying this EQ on.
  • I sometimes use variations of the Harman curve for some reasons. See rational here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...pro-review-headphone.28244/page-5#post-989169 NOTE: the score then calculated is not comparable to the scores derived from the default Harman target curve if not otherwise noted.
Good L/R match.

I have generated one EQ, the APO config file is attached.

Score no EQ: 39.3
Score Amirm: 60.9
Score with EQ: 72.3

Verum Audio Verum 1 APO Score EQ Flat@HF 96000Hz March102022-130929 Preamp: -7 dB Filter 1: ON PK Fc 33.26 Hz Gain 6.96 dB Q 0.34 Filter 2: ON PK Fc 191.82 Hz Gain -1.19 dB Q 1.71 Filter 3: ON PK Fc 1030.03 Hz Gain -1.84 dB Q 2.44 Filter 4: ON PK Fc 1973.53 Hz Gain 6.48 dB Q 1.59 Filter 5: ON PK Fc 3769.98 Hz Gain 3.30 dB Q 2.00 Filter 6: ON PK Fc 7027.67 Hz Gain 6.36 dB Q 1.55

Verum Audio Verum 1 APO Score EQ Flat@HF 96000Hz.png

Attachments

• Verum Audio Verum 1 APO Score EQ Flat@HF 96000Hz.txt
    383 bytes · Views: 89

tknx

I think I’ll buy a pair. Recognizing the situation is terrible right now and I may never see them. But I do like the measurements on them and am always interested in oddity headphones.

Atyne

@amirm which pads did you use? The round, non-angled, non-perforated leather ones? I got my pair 7 months ago with these pads and there's no way they measure like yours. My pair is very neutral, and if there is any coloration I would say it's a bit shouty/harsh. Oratory's measurement seems to be a better representation of how my pair sounds.

Your pair seems to be quite dark which is weird. Also, I don't find them to be that much resolving. IMO they sound quite average, like a $250 headphone at most. Sundara beats them easily. Even HD600 sounds more detailed in the treble. Verum has just better transience. I find Verum to sound kinda dull and boring. It's weird how extremely polarizing are the reviews of these headphones. Is it the unit variation, different pads, different amplification, or just different opinions? Who knows.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
$350 for a well designed boutique product is remarkable really. Many boutique audio products are hideously expensive and some are either shoddily designed or outright junk. The bigger players have a wealth of research, experience and manufacturing expertise to draw on and the resources to produce tooling etc.

shanecoughlan

Forum Donor
I have had a pair of these for several years. Mine are the first edition with the strange “cat ear” headband. It came with the original non-perforated pads. I recently changed those out for perforated pads via AliExpress.

I have found it to be a good headphone, remarkably easy to drive, and reasonably comfortable even for extended listening periods. By way of example, they are great for watching a movie on an iPad Pro.

I have had no issues with quality.

shanecoughlan

Forum Donor
$350 for a well designed boutique product is remarkable really. Many boutique audio products are hideously expensive and some are either shoddily designed or outright junk. The bigger players have a wealth of research, experience and manufacturing expertise to draw on and the resources to produce tooling etc.
Indeed, and while there are signs the devices are not machine engineered with utmost precision, they are damn well done for hand crafted at this price point. My only quibbles with my gen 1 would be the headband design is not idea, and the titanium knobs are not machined to a smoothness that would suggest production quality. They are fine, but it is the one bit that definitely feels “as good as one person with a workbench can get it.”

inscythe

I sold my Sundara after acquiring the Verum 1. To me, Verum 1 has a more natural timbre with a better bass extension. I'm glad to see the measurements seem to support my impression.

That said, there are a few issues regarding my unit. There were some minor uneven resin marks on the left cup (nail clipper fixed those), and somehow I ended up with their non-perforated, thinner first-gen earpads which I replaced with an aftermarket sheepskin leather AKG pads.

I would definitely warn people who intend to purchase them of the long production/shipping time and the non-existent customer support. Adjust your expectations and it will be generally fine. However, given the Ukraine situation, I do hope Igor is safe. Despite his well-known inability to keep his more controversial opinions to himself, he seems to be a decent and talented guy from short interaction that I had. I might order another pair when peace is back in Ukraine.

abm0

Forum Donor
to me verum don't exactly like "in head" like experience. it has very extremely narrow soundstage, like next to your ears kind of soundstage but not like "in head" like an iem.
It's funny that no one mentions this, but yes, they have a comically narrow tunnel-like soundstage, and it's easy to see why once you analyze the basic parameters of everything you get in the box: that super-thin shoelace-soft AliExpress cable they ship with has a ton of common ground resistance because of its "Y" return wire structure and thin wires used (1.8 ohms per channel!). You do the voltage divider math vs. the 6-8 ohm driver and you can immediately see the crosstalk is atrocious (by NwAvGuy standards at least). Some people in this forum will swear that crosstalk below -20 dB should not be noticeable, but I suggest they A/B the Verum 1 some day with its stock cable vs. a good 4-wire SE cable like a HiFiMan: the difference in soundstage width is spectacular.

I have to admit I was taken in by its "Sennheiser-like" timbre at first, having listened mostly to bright headphones until then, and thought it was my new endgame, and ended up using it as my 'critical listening' can for over 1 year... until it occurred to me to try the 400i again, just to re-check what I had left behind (I was getting a disturbing feeling of disengagement from the music, of not enjoying it as much as I used to). The details and stage of the 400i opened my eyes and I remembered what my actual preferred sound was all along, and it's definitely not the veiled Verum/Sennheiser sound. Yes, they have noticeably stronger impact in the bass, but once I EQ the 400i it goes every bit as deep while having better staging, imaging, detail and airiness. Once the comparison is complete, for me there is no contest, the 400i is better, at least for detail freaks like me. :) And even for people who like that veiled timbre, I suggest trying a better 4-wire cable if they care at all about soundstage.

Could you put the link to those pads of ali. Thanks
I made a similar switch but I got perforated and angled sheepskin pads that look pretty much exactly like the ones used in the mk2 headphone model. These would probably be your best bet if you're looking for the treble improvements seen in cskippy's measurements on SBAF: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001495474802.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.18751802uX4eKW

Last edited:

Suppa92

It's funny that no one mentions this, but yes, they have a comically narrow tunnel-like soundstage, and it's easy to see why once you analyze the basic parameters of everything you get in the box: that super-thin shoelace-soft AliExpress cable they ship with has a ton of common ground resistance because of its "Y" return wire structure and thin wires used (1.8 ohms per channel!). You do the voltage divider math vs. the 6-8 ohm driver and you can immediately see the crosstalk is atrocious (by NwAvGuy standards at least). Some people in this forum will swear that crosstalk below -20 dB should not be noticeable, but I suggest they A/B the Verum 1 some day with its stock cable vs. a good 4-wire SE cable like a HiFiMan: the difference in soundstage width is spectacular.

I have to admit I was taken in by its "Sennheiser-like" timbre at first, having listened mostly to bright headphones until then, and thought it was my new endgame, and ended up using it as my 'critical listening' can for over 1 year... until it occurred to me to try the 400i again, just to re-check what I had left behind (I was getting a disturbing feeling of disengagement from the music, of not enjoying it as much as I used to). The details and stage of the 400i opened my eyes and I remembered what my actual preferred sound was all along, and it's definitely not the veiled Verum/Sennheiser sound. Yes, they have noticeably stronger impact in the bass, but once I EQ the 400i it goes every bit as deep while having better staging, imaging, detail and airiness. Once the comparison is complete, for me there is no contest, the 400i is better, at least for detail freaks like me. :) And even for people who like that veiled timbre, I suggest trying a better 4-wire cable if they care at all about soundstage.

I made a similar switch but I got perforated and angled sheepskin pads that look pretty much exactly like the ones used in the mk2 headphone model. These would probably be your best bet if you're looking for the treble improvements seen in cskippy's measurements on SBAF: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001495474802.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.18751802uX4eKW
thanks for the suggestion. Definitely forth trying with some other good hp cable.
I also agree that if you care a lot about detail retrieval, verum is not the best choice. But it's timbre is very natural, at least to me .

I think even the manufacture has mentioned that. that could be a result of the thicker diaphragm.
I think Igor mentioned he used thicker diaphragm for higher durability & lower failure rate, sacrificing detail retrieval but may have better bass response.

abm0

Forum Donor
I think Igor mentioned he used thicker diaphragm for higher durability & lower failure rate, sacrificing detail retrieval but may have better bass response.
Weelll, I don't know about "lower failure rate", there was a pretty serious percentage of people complaining and talking about RMAs in the forums, at least in the first 1-2 years, but anyway it's still amazing what performance he managed to come out with from a DIY process. He might be a major reason why we have the 400SE and even Sundara at the prices we have them today.

Atyne

I suggest they A/B the Verum 1 some day with its stock cable vs. a good 4-wire SE cable like a HiFiMan: the difference in soundstage width is spectacular.
What do you mean by 4-wire SE cable? Aren't all SE cables just 3-wires? Or do you mean the balanced cable? I tried Verum with standard SE Hifiman cable and couldn't tell the difference. It was still as claustrophobic as with the stock cable.

Suppa92

Weelll, I don't know about "lower failure rate", there was a pretty serious percentage of people complaining and talking about RMAs in the forums, at least in the first 1-2 years, but anyway it's still amazing what performance he managed to come out with from a DIY process. He might be a major reason why we have the 400SE and even Sundara at the prices we have them today.
as I remember, those failures occurred because of some sort of soldering issue and not because of actual driver or diaphragm failure.

abm0

Forum Donor
What do you mean by 4-wire SE cable? Aren't all SE cables just 3-wires? Or do you mean the balanced cable?
No, 4-wire SE. Full-length return wires come from both drivers and connect together at the sleeve terminal of the TRS plug going to the amp. This can give you a good -15 dB in the crosstalk vs. a Y-shaped return, which effectively doubles the crosstalk rejection for the Verum 1 because it's already at only -15 dB with the stock cable. Of course you could also do this with a "balanced" cable if you had a TRRS to TRS adaptor or if the amp socket was made to short the two returns together for SE operation. (The point is I'm not talking about a benefit of "balanced" amps, just the better cable.)

I tried Verum with standard SE Hifiman cable and couldn't tell the difference. It was still as claustrophobic as with the stock cable.
Maybe try more songs, get a quieter environment, pay more attention, switch the cable faster, pause in the middle of the same song when you switch the cable... IDK. There are many reasons you wouldn't hear the difference, but electrically it's there, it's undeniable. I heard the difference with the 2016 HE-400i cable, maybe first try to confirm the one you have is really 4-wire: when you measure the resistance from the sleeve of the left cup plug to the sleeve of the right cup plug it should be 2x the resistance from either of those to the sleeve of the amp-side plug, showing a "V" structure of the return wires.

Last edited:
Top Bottom