• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Verum Audio Verum 1 Review (Headphone)

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 13 6.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 22 11.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 87 45.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 71 36.8%

• Total voters

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A problem with these measurements is that they are based on sweeps and not music; so at best a rough guide maybe
What makes you write this?
Sweep measurements have shown to correlate well with multi tone measurements for decades.

Certainly the favourited frequency response does seem to vary from individual but there is a general consensus based on a large sample of listeners to what tends to be the most favoured by the most people.
I tend to prefer less bass emphasis then the accepted curve on classical music, but hear its attraction with rock music.

The big limitation for me is any headphone is a poor compromise for speakers, even though I have a lot of them, including early Verum !s, I much prefer speakers.

D

Deleted member 51065

Blunt intro', so I wont answer.

Hello Frank,
if you are listening to sweeps it might work out ok, but sweeps are the poor relation to music for obvious reason's. My point really is that as many people do not know first hand what music really sounds like & so make reference to this equipment vs that equipment.; so lacking a faithful view point for comparison's.

I also think speakers are more real.

BTW what do you think of the Verum1 mk1?

Cheers,

Tony.

cheapmessiah

Blunt intro', so I wont answer.

Hello Frank,
if you are listening to sweeps it might work out ok, but sweeps are the poor relation to music for obvious reason's. My point really is that as many people do not know first hand what music really sounds like & so make reference to this equipment vs that equipment.; so lacking a faithful view point for comparison's.

I also think speakers are more real.

BTW what do you think of the Verum1 mk1?

Cheers,

Tony.

How do you know that speakers are more "real" and that is not the oposite, being headphones the most faithful to the source? How can you be sure you havent been shown shadows on a wall while being told thats reality?

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
if you are listening to sweeps it might work out ok, but sweeps are the poor relation to music for obvious reason's.
No they aren’t.
In a linear system they are completely equivalent for obvious reasons. Outside their linear region you may be correct but nobody sane would choose an item so unsuited to their use that they were straying into a non-linear part of their response.

I did a comparison between various headphones at a show and the Verum had the most believable instrumental timbre on the music i listened to, so I ordered them.
I like them still but as I wrote I don’t listen to headphones much and I have some more convenient wireless ones for the ‘bus now.

dixon

I ordered a pair of these knowing the war is currently going on.

I think I put the order back in July and it just entered Canada a few days ago. Should have it before end of week. If anyone was interested in time frame.

Looking forward to it. I'll respond with my experiences once done.

ccc888

I ordered a pair of these knowing the war is currently going on.

I think I put the order back in July and it just entered Canada a few days ago. Should have it before end of week. If anyone was interested in time frame.

Looking forward to it. I'll respond with my experiences once done.
Hi,
I placed an order at a similar time. I didn't know it would taking that long. I moved at the beginning of September and request a delivery address change to my work place immediately and soon I learnt that my company was also going to move a new location, so I request another address change to my new home address.

It has been very difficult to communicate with the maker. At one time he told me he already shipped my item, some time later he told me he hasn't. The last email was 20 days ago, he told me my item is at customs and when I asked for the tracking number, I got no respond from him since then.

Gosh! Now I have no idea where it is shipping to and when it would arrive. Why does it have to be so hard!

Last edited:

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi I placed an order at a similar time. I didn't know it would taking that long. I moved at the beginning of September and request a delivery address change to my work place immediately. And soon I learnt that my company was also going to move a new location, so I request another address change to my new home. I has been very difficult to communicate with the maker. At one time he told me he already shipped my item, some time later he told me he hasn't. The last email was 20 days ago, he told me my item is at customs and when I asked for the tracking number, no respond. Gosh! Now I have no idea where it is shipping to and when it would arrive. Why is it so hard!
I ordered and paid for perforated ear pads years ago, way before the war, they never came and I gave up trying to get any response. They weren’t expensive enough to waste any more of my time on.

dixon

Hi I placed an order at a similar time. I didn't know it would taking that long. I moved at the beginning of September and request a delivery address change to my work place immediately. And soon I learnt that my company was also going to move a new location, so I request another address change to my new home. I has been very difficult to communicate with the maker. At one time he told me he already shipped my item, some time later he told me he hasn't. The last email was 20 days ago, he told me my item is at customs and when I asked for the tracking number, no respond. Gosh! Now I have no idea where it is shipping to and when it would arrive. Why is it so hard!
Sorry to hear, yeah it's really rough in Ukraine. Especially where he is.

My wife is from Kyiv, but has family his way and they don't have power/internet a lot of the time. Especially recently with the infrastructure strikes.

I just received mine yesterday actually. Box looks like it went through hell, but headphones are in great shape.

I received 2 emails overall from him. Both replies were at least a week after I sent him the OG message. I went in knowing I may not even end up getting them in worst case. My best advice would be to see if you can set up any forwarding service with your countries nation mail post.

It went from Ukraine National Mail to Canada Post. I didn't get a tracking number for the CP side, so I stopped getting updates on the universal parcel tracker after it hit canada.

I think it was 2 months of shipping time after he mailed it out.

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry to hear, yeah it's really rough in Ukraine. Especially where he is.

My wife is from Kyiv, but has family his way and they don't have power/internet a lot of the time. Especially recently with the infrastructure strikes.

I just received mine yesterday actually. Box looks like it went through hell, but headphones are in great shape.

I received 2 emails overall from him. Both replies were at least a week after I sent him the OG message. I went in knowing I may not even end up getting them in worst case. My best advice would be to see if you can set up any forwarding service with your countries nation mail post.communicate &

It went from Ukraine National Mail to Canada Post. I didn't get a tracking number for the CP side, so I stopped getting updates on the universal parcel tracker after it hit canada.

I think it was 2 months of shipping time after he mailed it out.
Wow, I thought the shop closed long ago. Pretty amazing that he is able to manufacture & ship more HPs in the current situation

Marasmic

These or the Drop Aeon Closed X for electronic and trance music? They're about the same price right now.

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
These or the Drop Aeon Closed X for electronic and trance music? They're about the same price right now.
My choice was the Verum and I can highly recommend it: very good SQ and no EQ needed, excellent BQ and in spite of the size they are very comfy (as in whole day listening comfy).

The Aeon Closed (original not drop) I only tried shortly and seemed to sound quite similar and also very good. The measurements look ~same as good too. I would take the SQ out of the decision and only consider things like open (Verum) vs. closed (Aeon), size, comfort, price, availability, looks...

Last edited:

Invalid02

can anyone give a quick comparison between the verum 1 and the harmonicdyne zeus?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
can anyone give a quick comparison between the verum 1 and the harmonicdyne zeus?
The only thing they have in common is they are headphones.

Zeus = 50mm dynamic driver, 64 ohm, nice case, through distributors, overly warm sound
Verum1= DIY product, planar, unusually low impedance (about 6ohm), from Ukraine only. midrangy sound.

Last edited:

Invalid02

The only thing they have in common is they are headphones.

Zeus = 50mm dynamic driver, 64 ohm, nice case, through distributors, overly warm sound
Verum1= DIY product, planar, unusually low impedance (about 6ohm), from Ukraine only. midrangy sound.
Thanks! They're at about the same price range that's why I have them on my potential buys.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
In that price range there are many, many options that may even sound better.

Romario

Even GR research gave the Verum a thumbs up in comparison to other headphones ( for what it's worth)

Haider

The reviewer say's at 10:06 there are 'audble constant and unmistakeable sub-bass distortions at anything above moderate listening levels' and 'There is noticeble melding between sub-bass and mid-bass similar to dynamic drivers'. He is not very complementary about them, giving examples...

Haider

My Arcam rHead recommends 16-600 Ohm headphones so 6-8 Ohm rating makes it a no go...I'll stick to my Sundara...

abm0

Forum Donor
My Arcam rHead recommends 16-600 Ohm headphones so 6-8 Ohm rating makes it a no go...I'll stick to my Sundara...
They're planars, they don't get colored by impedance adapters. I always used them with a Fengru 30-ohm simple inline-resistor adapter after I noticed how hot they were making my Oppo HA-2. Impedance is not a serious reason to skip these.

Top Bottom