• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Verum Audio Verum 1 Review (Headphone)

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 13 6.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 22 11.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 87 44.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 72 37.1%

• Total voters

JoshJ625

Here are some thoughts about the EQ.

Notes about the EQ design:
  • The average L/R is used to calculate the score.
  • The resolution is 12 points per octave interpolated from the raw data (provided by @amirm)
  • A Genetic Algorithm is used to optimize the EQ.
  • The EQ Score is designed to MAXIMIZE the Score WHILE fitting the Harman target curve (and other constrains) with a fixed complexity.
    This will avoid weird results if one only optimizes for the Score.
    It will probably flatten the Error regression doing so, the tonal balance should be therefore more neutral.
  • The EQs are starting point and may require tuning (certainly at LF and maybe at HF).
  • The range around and above 10kHz is usually not EQed unless smooth enough to do so.
  • I am using PEQ (PK) as from my experience the definition is more consistent across different DSP/platform implementations than shelves.
  • With some HP/amp combo, the boosts and preamp gain (loss of Dynamic range) need to be carefully considered to avoid issues with, amongst other things, too low a Max SPL or damaging your device. You have beed warned.
  • Not all units of the same product are made equal. The EQ is based on the measurements of a single unit. YMMV with regards to the very unit you are trying this EQ on.
  • I sometimes use variations of the Harman curve for some reasons. See rational here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...pro-review-headphone.28244/page-5#post-989169 NOTE: the score then calculated is not comparable to the scores derived from the default Harman target curve if not otherwise noted.
Good L/R match.

I have generated one EQ, the APO config file is attached.

Score no EQ: 39.3
Score Amirm: 60.9
Score with EQ: 72.3

Verum Audio Verum 1 APO Score EQ Flat@HF 96000Hz March102022-130929 Preamp: -7 dB Filter 1: ON PK Fc 33.26 Hz Gain 6.96 dB Q 0.34 Filter 2: ON PK Fc 191.82 Hz Gain -1.19 dB Q 1.71 Filter 3: ON PK Fc 1030.03 Hz Gain -1.84 dB Q 2.44 Filter 4: ON PK Fc 1973.53 Hz Gain 6.48 dB Q 1.59 Filter 5: ON PK Fc 3769.98 Hz Gain 3.30 dB Q 2.00 Filter 6: ON PK Fc 7027.67 Hz Gain 6.36 dB Q 1.55

View attachment 191531

@Maiky76 just got my Verums and looking for a flat correction for mixing. Please can you explain how these 6 filter settings you posted differ from the 4 filters that were posted by the OP? Do you take a different measurement? I tried your settings but they sounded very smiley (hyped in the lows and highs). Seemed to removed a lot of the mids. Do you know whether this is an advisable setting for producing accurate mixes? thanks

Last edited:

JoshJ625

have you listened to the both of them?
imho, I find sundaras very thin sounding and bit metallic like...

I thought the Sundaras sounded like a budget gaming headset. Had to tap to doublecheck they weren't made of cardboard. Very boxy. Similar experience with the Monolith M1060. I do wonder how many people (including established reviewer on YT) have hearing problems.

Maiky76

@Maiky76 just got my Verums and looking for a flat correction for mixing. Please can you explain how these 6 filter settings you posted differ from the 4 filters that were posted by the OP? Do you take a different measurement? I tried your settings but they sounded very smiley (hyped in the lows and highs). Seemed to removed a lot of the mids. Do you know whether this is an advisable setting for producing accurate mixes? thanks
My EQ are based on the data measured by Amirm (OP).
The graph in my post directly shows the difference in frequency response, once equalized, between the EQ that I propose vs. what Armim devised and the stock headphone.
Check the legend in the graph.

One of the differences is that the EQ I propose achieves a better compliance with the Harman target (start your journey here or there) and the EQ is optimized for the predicted preference score. As to why you perceive a different tonal balance, that may be due to the EQ you applied is not exactly what was designed (some softwares are not defining the EQ points as I do, although from experience many hardware DSP are identical to my calculation) and/or your preference may or may not be on the exact Harman target which is to be expected for about a third of the population, please read the linked papers.

With regards to suitability for music production only you can answer that, but be aware that force of habits and extensive experience can trump "better".

Top Bottom