• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Verum , racist and vile please don't give him business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TLEDDY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have had a set for several months... cannot do the detailed analysis others have done. That said, I liked them enough to give my STAX to my daughter. Have no regrets...

Erik

oratory1990 has published Verum One measurements.

1572281033600.png

Veri

Master Contributor
I've tried Oratory Eq preset and need to tell that this small changes finally gave me "yes, now it's perfectly right" feeling.
Awesome :) which earpads are you using?

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I gave a listen to pair at a friend's house. They sound nice, but the build needs to be improved and that cumbersome headband needs to get more compact.

The main issue is the 8 ohm impedance, which means driving it with a high output impedance amp will give you a very bad damping factor. The amp he had there (SONY TA-ZH1ES) could barely handle them, and I needed to crank up the volume to get it to a listenable level. And it also sounded kind of muddy with that amp. Once I switched to my portable Fiio X3 v2 (output impedance lower than 0.1) they sounded much better.

Saying that low impedance headphones is easy to drive is a misleading generalization. 8 ohms means the amplifier has to output ridiculous amounts of wattage, and if the output impedance is high it means it actually resists outputting that power. This basically approaches speaker's territory, and according to common speaker wisdom, lower impedance actually means harder to drive.

I think a better design choice would be to go for a more manageable 16 ohm, if possible. Oh, and the front facing cable connectors looks like they might break with the gentlest hit.
I am using either my iPad or a RME ADI-2 Pro with mine they sound fine and loud enough for me with either.
Low impedance does mean more current but also less voltage, so the statement "ridiculous amounts of wattage" isn't true, though it is true some headphone outputs may struggle with high current (poor ones IMO).
Any headphone output with a high output impedance is a kludge IMO, either a series resistor to the main (speaker) amp or just not all that good.

pwjazz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Those of you who bought the Verum recently, did you get a tracking number fo r the shipment?

doctorjuggles

Hi @Garuspik - will all headphones you ship from now on include the new restyle? (I have no idea when mine will ship, ordered them at the end of 2019, but if they ship with this new style that would be good news for me :)). Thanks for the update

Veri

Master Contributor
Good progress @Garuspik :)!!
Might not agree with your view on amp/DACs(haha) but that is one very attractive headphone, with great measuring FR. Congrats

Last edited:

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Thanks @Veri My main complaint about dac measurements on ASR - you don't measure shape of different waves (sinewave and rectangular waves) on low level signals. If you do so you'll see that r2r dacs that measure poor will have much closer to input signal shapes on output in comparison to chifi like topping.

So where do you get the "input" signal shapes as reference from in the first place ?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
So (Illegal) test signals reproduced by a non sampling theorem compliant filterless R2R ladder will produce nice looking squarewaves and heavily distorted sinewaves that do not exist in music and ensure ultrasonic content that can do more harm than good. :cool:

maxxevv

Major Contributor
From digital source. PC for example.

No, that's not an answer.

A FLAC file ? A DSD file ?

And how is that extracted as a signal to be measured ? Before it actually goes into a DAC of any type ?

Veri

Master Contributor
Let's try to stay on topic of Verum though before it devolves into all kinds of OT discussions... :D
Maybe @Garuspik can make a topic about his theory, if he'd be willing ? Seems easy enough to reproduce/verify/possible refute

I prefer to discuss this in the topic made especially for this.
woops. posted just too late :p

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks @Veri My main complaint about dac measurements on ASR - you don't measure shape of different waves (sinewave and rectangular waves) on low level signals. If you do so you'll see that r2r dacs that measure poor will have much closer to input signal shapes on output in comparison to chifi like topping.
I am not sure what you mean by low level signals, R2R inevitably lose out most at lowest levels because of resistor inaccuracy and always have, but as a bloke who has been making recordings for over 50 years I am interested to know what level you are calling "low"?
I have meters running most of the time I am listening as well as recording and low level to me (and I rarely see less) is -60dB on music (not the gap between tracks) and even then only on classical music at that level both R2R and DS are fine.
I am an old sceptic but IME if you have "bought" the "story" you will hear the "difference" even when it isn't actually there, but of course that doesn't matter if you get the satisfaction whilst listening after all sugar pills cure illness in some people.
Still loving my Verum 1s btw...

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Holo Audio don't agree with you

There are many more people who disagree with me. :D
Doesn't make my remarks less valid from a scientific P.O.V.

Holo does make nice products that do not qualify as your typical NOS R2R DAC but can be used that way if so desired.

Verum

New member on this site and I liked the definition of verum so much I made it my handle.

I am very interested in these headphones, from what I have read these are a game changer for the price.

Will all orders placed now be the version 2 of the product, with the 3.5mm plugs, new headband, new perforated ear pads, new cable, new grill, etc?

Lastly I was looking at the site and it appears that wayforpay is used to process payments as I have never heard of them has any had any issues using their payment system?

Pierre Nortje

New member on this site and I liked the definition of verum so much I made it my handle.

I am very interested in these headphones, from what I have read these are a game changer for the price.

Will all orders placed now be the version 2 of the product, with the 3.5mm plugs, new headband, new perforated ear pads, new cable, new grill, etc?

Lastly I was looking at the site and it appears that wayforpay is used to process payments as I have never heard of them has any had any issues using their payment system?

The wayforpay payment system used worked for me just fine. I'm sure if you buy now you will get what appears on their site, the latest iteration of the Verum 1 with the respective updates you've mentioned (I bought the mk1 last year).

MalinYamato

Interesting initiative. On average how long does it take to ship them to an address in Europa (Sweden) after pushing the order button?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom