• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Verum , racist and vile please don't give him business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garuspik

Hello ! I'm a complete newbie on this forum, but not a complete newbie in personal hi-fi.
About 2 years ago I've started a work with one goal - make an affordable and good sounding planar magnetic headphones and in case of success produce them in series. Yep, nothing new.
Finally project has left refinement stage and moved to "look what I've managed to produce". Name of this project is Verum 1

The main difference between my design and other planars that you can find on market are:
1. Huge driver with oversized magnetic system

2. Efficiency - Verum 1 can be powered by my old Iphone without any problems.

I understand that it can look like odd but factory made headphones, but it's 100% DIY.
Before I was ready to go to crowdfunding and ask people for money to bring that project to mass production I've sent several samples all over the world and gathered reviews from audio blogs, forum's top posters, youtube reviewers etc.

Complete story, promotional video, measurements, links to reviews and specs you can find here: Verum 1 Kickstarter campaign

I hope that I don't violate forum rules and admins allow me to start that thread. If community will have any questions I'll try to answer them

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I followed your endeavors on SBAF.
Something you may not be aware of is that this forum is not very well liked, or should I say darn right hated, by the guys that have lovingly taken you under their wing.
Perhaps they may not appreciate you posting here ?

Anyways, your price is right and am interested in your product, but am no backer as I have too many headphones already.
Are you looking for more backers/sales/exposure ?
For development hints and tips it may be a little late, seeing you started production already.

There are plenty of other Planars with large diameter membranes and plenty with a very high efficiency by the way and is not unique to your design.

Last edited:

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Not implying that its bad, but that laser cut outer grill can definitely be made far more intricately for aesthetic considerations.
Example is my avatar pic of the grill I made for my HE4XX.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm one of the few crazy enough to post both here and SBAF. :eek:

Your project looks pretty promising Garuspik. Some people are saying the planar market is starting to get over saturated but given the Audeze lottery, HiFiman QC/durability issues, Oppo digital being shut down, and the sky high prices of most everything else I think you've got plenty of room to grow.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Price performance ratio is probably the highest in the Planar segment for sure.
That is if the price and performance remains the same.

I wish you a lot of succes in realising your (and many owners) dream of making high performance low cost headphones and hope you end up with a lot of potential Audeze and HiFiman customers maybe triggering them to think again about their pricing of their cheapest models.

Grave

The only planar magnetic headphones I have owned were the Audeze LCD-2's, and they were overpriced. Hopefully these will be cheaper.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
$350.- is the goal as can be seen in the link to the KS campaign in the first post.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello ! I'm a complete newbie on this forum, but not a complete newbie in personal hi-fi.
About 2 years ago I've started a work with one goal - make an affordable and good sounding planar magnetic headphones and in case of success produce them in series. Yep, nothing new.
Finally project has left refinement stage and moved to "look what I've managed to produce". Name of this project is Verum 1

The main difference between my design and other planars that you can find on market are:
1. Huge driver with oversized magnetic system

2. Efficiency - Verum 1 can be powered by my old Iphone without any problems.

I understand that it can look like odd but factory made headphones, but it's 100% DIY.
Before I was ready to go to crowdfunding and ask people for money to bring that project to mass production I've sent several samples all over the world and gathered reviews from audio blogs, forum's top posters, youtube reviewers etc.

Complete story, promotional video, measurements, links to reviews and specs you can find here: Verum 1 Kickstarter campaign

I hope that I don't violate forum rules and admins allow me to start that thread. If community will have any questions I'll try to answer them
I listened to these at the HiFi Wigwam show with an NVA engineer with his headphone amp They sounded fabulous. I played a piano piece and the piano sounded more like the Steinway we have in our music room than the much more expensive HiFiman HE1000 I audiotioned before it.
Ordered my own when I got home!

thms

Am thinking of getting a pair.
Anyone can compare to HE400, HE560 ?

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Am thinking of getting a pair.
Anyone can compare to HE400, HE560 ?

I have both the HE560 and Verum 1. The HE560 was my previous most favored phone, so I have compared the 2 quite a lot.

1st, in terms of overall sound, I think they are very similar. The tonal balance of the HE560 (V1 with Focus Pads) and the Verum are both quite accurate. The measurements on both show an extremely flat bass/midrange with slight HF role off. I do not hear that on either one. They both just sound right. I believe I hear a bit more detail in the Verums, and they seem a little more dynamic/exciting. I am not sure how you quantify exciting/musical...but they seem to have a bit more of both. I am thrilled with my pair. Plus, the made by hand materials and workmanship are top notch and unique.

In terms of differences, the Verum weighs more than the HE560 (about 20oz vs 13.5oz). The Verum for me are a bit more comfortable due to larger pads and lower pressure on your head. The Verum One has a low 12 ohm resistance, but seems about the same sensitivity in use as the HE560s.

I hope they get reviewed by professionals, instead of professional reviewers :'(

SuperBestAudioFriends members have done quite complete performance measurements on the Verum, HE560, and HE400 which you can access here. The measurements are attached to very long discussions by generally knowledgeable owners who are presumably not paid for their views.

Last edited:

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
thms - posted follow up because you specifically mentioned a Hifiman comparison.

I see a just posted today YouTube review to link subjectively comparing the Verum One with the Hifiman Edition XX (Massdrop $600) and HFM Sundara (This model replaced the HE560 in the line, Normally $500, on sale now for $350) and a couple of Audeze models. I have followed the tuber (Next Best Thing Studio) for a while. He is totally subjective but I think honest, he says too many negative things about all of the headphones to be sponsored.

He says some things about the Verum physical design I do not agree with (I really like the home made flash gordon look, he does not)...but I think his discussion of the fit and sound are in alignment with my own.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
I tried the Verum at CanJam Singapore, for a moment when I first put it on, it was weird in that it sounded "warm and fuzzy" like a HD650 sounding signature. It was weird to say the least.

BUT ... I requested to use my own portable DAC Amp and it was apparent that it was much more neutral and closer to a typical, well executed planar. It was really the amp that they were using making the difference.
On my own DAC/amp, it has a slight, very slight warm touch, with decent (but nowhere near basshead level) bass energy. Good detail retrieval and comfortable treble roll-off. Tonality is pretty good, vocals wise its a little better than the HD4XX I have.. Not nearly as intimate or close to natural sounding like the HD650 though.

[The above of course are completely subjective, our ears hear things slightly different, so its just what I heard/ hear from these headphones. YMMV. ]

Also, for a relatively inexpensive planar, they are quite easy to drive. My LG G6 on "external device" mode can drive them pretty loud, certainly louder than the Sundara could be. I was pleasantly surprised.

Comparatively, I like Verum better than the Aeon Closed and Aeon Open. On par in terms of enjoyable signature with the Sundara and Ananda. The Hifiman were slightly different technically so, I can't say they or better or worse. Just a different presentation of music. But of the various planars I tried there, the 2 that I really enjoyed were the Arya and Empyrean.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Perhaps we can track our respective experiences here to help inform other potential adopters?
My expectation for my headset is around 6 weeks to shipping time as per the current Verum Audio website.
That page had 4 weeks when I ordered mine 8 weeks ago.
The ones I listened to had been ordered by somebody via kickstarter and he said his just arrived one day in a box. He had no shipping notification. I suppose if one man is making each by hand and he has a lot of orders we just have to wait...

abm0

Forum Donor
It's 3 people, at least if all their health issues are resolved. :) But yeah, if they just finished the KS backers' pairs like 1-2 weeks ago, I'd say the delivery time for any post-KS orders will be way more than 6 weeks, more on par with what Massdrop used to do when they were still Mass. :p But there's every indication that it should be worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom