• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Verum 1 : planar magnetic headphones

solderdude

Major Contributor
So (Illegal) test signals reproduced by a non sampling theorem compliant filterless R2R ladder will produce nice looking squarewaves and heavily distorted sinewaves that do not exist in music and ensure ultrasonic content that can do more harm than good. :cool:

OP
G
Thread Starter #124
No, that's not an answer.

A FLAC file ? A DSD file ?

And how is that extracted as a signal to be measured ? Before it actually goes into a DAC of any type ?
I prefer to discuss this in the topic made especially for this. But for sure it should be a pcm file - flac,wav, ape. Doesn't matter - any lossless pcm.

So (Illegal) test signals reproduced by a non sampling theorem compliant filterless R2R ladder will produce nice looking squarewaves and heavily distorted sinewaves that do not exist in music and ensure ultrasonic content that can do more harm than good. :cool:
Holo Audio don't agree with you ;)

Veri

Major Contributor
Let's try to stay on topic of Verum though before it devolves into all kinds of OT discussions... :D
Maybe @Garuspik can make a topic about his theory, if he'd be willing ? Seems easy enough to reproduce/verify/possible refute

I prefer to discuss this in the topic made especially for this.
woops. posted just too late :p

Frank Dernie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks @Veri My main complaint about dac measurements on ASR - you don't measure shape of different waves (sinewave and rectangular waves) on low level signals. If you do so you'll see that r2r dacs that measure poor will have much closer to input signal shapes on output in comparison to chifi like topping.
I am not sure what you mean by low level signals, R2R inevitably lose out most at lowest levels because of resistor inaccuracy and always have, but as a bloke who has been making recordings for over 50 years I am interested to know what level you are calling "low"?
I have meters running most of the time I am listening as well as recording and low level to me (and I rarely see less) is -60dB on music (not the gap between tracks) and even then only on classical music at that level both R2R and DS are fine.
I am an old sceptic but IME if you have "bought" the "story" you will hear the "difference" even when it isn't actually there, but of course that doesn't matter if you get the satisfaction whilst listening after all sugar pills cure illness in some people.
Still loving my Verum 1s btw...

solderdude

Major Contributor
Holo Audio don't agree with you
There are many more people who disagree with me. :D
Doesn't make my remarks less valid from a scientific P.O.V.

Holo does make nice products that do not qualify as your typical NOS R2R DAC but can be used that way if so desired.

Verum

New member on this site and I liked the definition of verum so much I made it my handle.

I am very interested in these headphones, from what I have read these are a game changer for the price.

Will all orders placed now be the version 2 of the product, with the 3.5mm plugs, new headband, new perforated ear pads, new cable, new grill, etc?

Lastly I was looking at the site and it appears that wayforpay is used to process payments as I have never heard of them has any had any issues using their payment system?

New member on this site and I liked the definition of verum so much I made it my handle.

I am very interested in these headphones, from what I have read these are a game changer for the price.

Will all orders placed now be the version 2 of the product, with the 3.5mm plugs, new headband, new perforated ear pads, new cable, new grill, etc?

Lastly I was looking at the site and it appears that wayforpay is used to process payments as I have never heard of them has any had any issues using their payment system?
The wayforpay payment system used worked for me just fine. I'm sure if you buy now you will get what appears on their site, the latest iteration of the Verum 1 with the respective updates you've mentioned (I bought the mk1 last year).

Interesting initiative. On average how long does it take to ship them to an address in Europa (Sweden) after pushing the order button?