• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Verum , racist and vile please don't give him business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This case is different than usual in that it's still ongoing and seems to have quite a bit of history, but in general I'm with @JohnYang1997 on this.

The recent fashion of informal societal shaming for un-PC comments has no statue of limitations or length of sentence and seems to me to be a cross between a witch hunt and the sex offender registry list. The digging up of any off the cuff remark regardless of age or context also seems to imply a desire for something closer to retribution rather than anything resembling justice or promotion of toleration.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This case is different than usual in that it's still ongoing and seems to have quite a bit of history, but in general I'm with @JohnYang1997 on this.

The recent fashion of informal societal shaming for un-PC comments has no statue of limitations or length of sentence and seems to me to be a cross between a witch hunt and the sex offender registry list. The digging up of any off the cuff remark regardless of age or context also seems to imply a desire for something closer to retribution rather than anything resembling justice or promotion of toleration.

I get both your points. But a lot of this is during Verum trading. Speaks about the company as much as the person.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yep. Another reason why

:)

We will all vote with our wallets. Amir and Thomas will decide on the issue of ASR membership as the benevolent dictators they are.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just a brief look at your posting history here and I see you accusing us of being a religious sect .

You will get one chance , I'm on high alert as you seem to be trouble so be warned any more drama and you will be banned here as well
He forgot *hegemonic* religious sect. the ONE true way.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Igorem, when you make unwanted noise you are sure to receive some back.
I suggest to take under consideration how others may feel.
I would also suggest to keep replies strictly about your product which seems nice and keep customers informed about waiting times etc.
Also I would suggest to patiently and always calmly and to the point answer peoples / (potential) customers questions. Regardless how they may come across to you.
This way you can save your business, which I think is worth saving and expanding.

Keep it technical, vent technical opinions and not your personal ideas.
And ... you could take up ballet to unload your frustrations with the world.

It's a shame if some of your personal (and perhaps while a bit intoxicated ?) beliefs/convictions get in the way with business.

omniweltall

Garuspik,

It is sad indeed to see all these recent unfortunate developments. Definitely caught me by surprise. I've always been a big supporter of Verum (sound-wise). I read the things you posted. Though strangely I do understand what you meant by joke, It is still a very bad joke and touches a very sensitive topic. You should know better.

You had a good thing going, and many people were rooting for you. What a waste. Well, expensive lesson indeed. But a worthy lesson. Give it time. I do think you can slowly recover your image. But just don't expect this to happen overnight.

And my input on your product is to improve the build quality. I ordered two Verums so far, and the second mk2 one has better look, but worse build quality than the first one. Many people who buy your product would like to keep it for a long time. Please do keep this in mind.

Wish you all the best, and look forward to Verum 2.

Anmol

Forum Donor
I had a recent interaction with Verum support and i am happy to report an excellent experience. Verum deals with customers fairly and keeps his promise of good service in spite of long distance postal dependence.
having said that
Cultural sensitivity is quite different in different places. However for a businessman who is trying to sell his gear into a particular market - he needs to be more cognizant of what he is posting online.
I wish him good luck and hope he replaces his vodka with green tea during harsh winter months. -:)

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Garuspik The western world tends to be more sensitive at racisim that kind of stuff because it is politically correct to do,

A healthier way to look at it, racism is toxic and rooting it out of societies (note plural) is both important and beneficial to all.

I once lived at some places with people just saying fuck all the time,

That sounds like pretty much everyone I know, and knowing how to artfully deploy the word "fuck" in every day speech has nothing to do with racism.

In big city and international places everyone acts polite and well manner,

Are you sure you've been to a big city? That doesn't sound familiar at all.

My suggestion for you is to learn from this incident, stop saying things that irritate those western people.

I think you do a service here, pointing out to Westerners who may not be very well traveled that racism is not exclusively a Western toxicity. The in-group and out-groups may be different, but it's the same toxic nasty shit.

moriez

Such a dissapointment to read some of the mind's insides of our otherwise esteemed headphone maker. Lately I try to think less in terms of good and bad but behaviour in screenshots really IS fundamentally wrong :facepalm: Booze/trolling/humour as excuse, even upbringing, culturally defined or a underdeveloped grasp of the human race while more understandable as excuse can even be considered from any man once certain lines are crossed.

At the moment you're facing a ban on HF, SBAF and probably on Reddit/Discord for clear just reason. Truly sorry for the impact on the business you built over the last two years as a result of how you express yourself. I 'hate' to see a succes story crumble especially when acquainted with person. For your sake and also for us Verum fans I do kind of hope ASR staff will be lenient even if clearly not behind you the same I cannot be behind you right now if ever again. Way too early to speak of second chances in which I strongly believe. Take in the community backlash and make solderdude's communication guideline a bible for starters. More importantly understand your own behaviour and place in the world, man..

Last edited:

boneburglar

I see arguments of cancel culture, and I just wanted to make an account to at least explain that we did warn Garuspik. I don’t think anyone in Head-Fi or Discord (ok maybe Reddit), is looking to cancel anyone just for the hell of it. Even when Garu started posting these comments we, instead of taking pitchforks and torches to other forums, tried to explain why his viewpoint was wrong, explain why that’s offensive, and explain why this is a bad look for someone who ultimately is running a business with a good product. I distinctly remember months ago when this happened a warning was issued that nothing good could come of this, and even if it’s a troll, being cancelled could be a real possibility.
So yeah. This is not cancel culture. Garu was warned about his behavior, and even if his public behavior was excusable, the private emails that were linked in the original thread have some questionable viewpoints as well (as in saying that delays are because African Americans are “rioting” in a support email).
I understand that some people have their qualms against cancel culture, hell, I don’t like it when people call others out for things said a decade ago, but this was in 2020. Get a grip.

Burning Sounds

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I own a pair of Verum 1 headphones and I have to say I was shocked and angry when I first came across @Garuspik's posts. Trying to pass off his actions by saying he doesn't understand how sensitive some topics are beggars belief, quite frankly.

However, I prefer reconciliation to revenge, so here is an extract from a 1963 speech by Haile Selassie (many of you will be familiar with the preceeding part of the speech used by Bob Marley in the song, War - .....until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance than the colour of his eyes..... ).

"And we must look into ourselves, into the depth of our souls. We must become something we have never been and for which our education and experience and environment have ill-prepared us. We must become bigger than we have been : more courageous, greater in spirit, larger in outlook. We must become members of a new race, overcoming petty prejudice, owing our ultimate allegiance not to nations but to our fellow men within the human community."

I hope @Garuspik can sieze the opportunity he has been given on this forum.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I'd like us to move on from this examination of member @Garuspik , management are aware of his reputation and previous behaviour elsewhere.

His membership here is currently under review, there's little in it for us to be understanding and give him a second chance here but at the same time he's done nothing wrong on ASR, his previous behaviours elsewhere are certainly not something we find acceptable but at the same time I feel I'd be being prejudiced against him by banning him at the moment seeing as he's done nothing wrong here at ASR and that doesn't feel right to me .

I do believe people grow through experience and can learn from mistakes , our attitudes can change over time via moments of enlightenment.

It's under review like I say and again I'd like to point out ASR do not support or endorse racism in anyway way shape of form and this guys attitude as seen elsewhere has been abhorrent , vile and against what we all stand for .

Thanks for being understanding, I know some of you feel strongly about this please feel free to message me or Amirm about it.

Rusty Shackleford

More, ahem, “jokes”...

55F69F67-32A2-483F-B0F1-9F2A27DD5F99.png

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom