• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Vertical mouse. Who has found a good one?

OP
restorer-john

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Speaking of absolutely stupid design, there is absolutely nothing ergonomic whatsoever about the placement of the scroll wheel on a mouse. Can I get one down by my thumb or something please? I swear this was being discussed online a decade ago, yet no manufacturer has done anything about this nonsense.

Logitec have scroll wheels on their MX master mice for the thumb. Not sure if it's mappable or just back and forward.

OP
restorer-john

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

hvbias

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Giving this a bump as I'm interesting in hearing more. I was starting to get some nagging pain in my right thenar eminence, which fortunately aren't sx of carpal tunnel syndrome. I've been using a cheapie wireless Nulaxy vertical mouse from Amazon for a few days now. We'll see if it makes any difference.

I suspect one of the bigger culprits is having my right hand over the trackpad of the Macbook Air in a sort of claw shape.

MRC01

Major Contributor
If you're into thumb trackballs, Elecom is one of the few companies that also makes a left-handed one. They're also one of the few companies that still makes a wired USB version. Of course they have wireless & right-handed too. Elecom also uses high quality switches for the buttons and bearings for the ball.
I use the Logitech MX Ergo at home and an Elecom at work. The Elecom is almost but not quite as nice in terms of smooth tracking. It rests flat like the other (non MX Ergo) Logitech thumb trackballs, but you can always add your own wedge for whatever angle you want.

OP
restorer-john

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I can confirm that since moving to a vertical mouse, I've had absolutely no issues with nerve related pain in my right hand/wrist. A few times I experimented going back to a conventional mouse. In less than a day, there was discomfort.

hvbias

I can confirm that since moving to a vertical mouse, I've had absolutely no issues with nerve related pain in my right hand/wrist. A few times I experimented going back to a conventional mouse. In less than a day, there was discomfort.

Thanks, I'll be ready to spend more once the experiment is up with this cheapie vertical mouse. What made you go with the Evoluent over the very popular Logitech Vertical/MX Vertical?

OP
restorer-john

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
What made you go with the Evoluent over the very popular Logitech Vertical/MX Vertical?

Size, it comes in three sizes and the biggest one is best. And wired. I don't want wireless. Wireless mice are more trouble than they are worth IME. They all lag, are slow to come out of sleep and their batteries don't last. Internal LiPos die and AA/AAA batteries only last 6 months. Also wireless mice/keyboards interfere with my test gear. Cabled mice last forever and the wire can be replaced for a dollar or two if the cat chews it...

The Evoluent is truly excellent and worth it. I picked up another cheap one which is really good and about 1/10th the price of the Evoluent.

1660351676156.png

Jds81

I use the MX Ergo and love it. I got the Pro or Elite version, which is same mouse, but an extra magnetic wedge for greater angle. So you have 3 options on the angle. Not having to slide the thing around is great, but I already liked trackballs.
I believe it can be run over USB, but I'll have to check that it's not just charging. No idea if the transmitter would still be live.
Also recently got a perrix replacement ball, seems to maybe track a little smoother- but mostly just for fun.

Jds81

Also agree to ditch the num pad unless it's essential to your workflow. Nice compact keyboard let's you line up better.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When I got problems using a mouse due to a "golfer's arm" I tried a joy stick kind of mouse but finally just switched my hand. I am RH and the first week using the left hand was hard but after about 3 weeks I became as good with the left hand as with the right hand, and since them I can use them both without thinking about. Just need to switch the buttons. Very handy if you get a pri5blem with one hand. Of course this does not work well with asymmetric styled housings.

I’m RH but can play Tetris with any hand and switch during the game, don’t ask how I learned :)

Midnight Audiophile

First I've heard of the vertical mouse. I used a Kensington Turbo Mouse for years doing design work in ad agencies and at home. Still kinda miss it.
kens-turbo-mouse-1.jpg

Marc v E

Major Contributor
Giving this a bump as I'm interesting in hearing more. I was starting to get some nagging pain in my right thenar eminence, which fortunately aren't sx of carpal tunnel syndrome. I've been using a cheapie wireless Nulaxy vertical mouse from Amazon for a few days now. We'll see if it makes any difference.

I suspect one of the bigger culprits is having my right hand over the trackpad of the Macbook Air in a sort of claw shape.
I can really recommend using a logitech MX vertical mouse and a seperate, flat or ergonomic keyboard. Since I used it the strain has gone away. Whenever I don't use it my wrist feels awkward and strained.

LogitechMXVertMouse.jpeg

hvbias

Also agree to ditch the num pad unless it's essential to your workflow. Nice compact keyboard let's you line up better.

Yup I use Realforce R2 TKL (ten keyless), if I wanted a numpad I'd have it to the right of my mouse hand. I had a HHKB2 which is basically 60% but I was using an awkward hand position with FN plus layer keys as my hands are on the large side. Much prefer to have the full arrow cluster, page keys, etc which I use quite a bit.

Size, it comes in three sizes and the biggest one is best. And wired. I don't want wireless. Wireless mice are more trouble than they are worth IME. They all lag, are slow to come out of sleep and their batteries don't last. Internal LiPos die and AA/AAA batteries only last 6 months. Also wireless mice/keyboards interfere with my test gear. Cabled mice last forever and the wire can be replaced for a dollar or two if the cat chews it...

The Evoluent is truly excellent and worth it. I picked up another cheap one which is really good and about 1/10th the price of the Evoluent.

View attachment 223864

I had a bit of sticker shock when I saw $230 from your first link, then I realized that is AUD as it's 90 USD on Amazon, which is a lot more palatable!

I don't play games so I don't care too much about wired/wireless, though I would like to play the new DOOM and The Witcher 3.

Let us know if that $10 mouse dies. I expect my $14 wireless one to give me problems down the line, but this was just an experiment to see if they work well. I'm also going to try my best to alternate between my right and left hand when I am not at a desktop but using my Macbook Air's trackpad instead - would be interested in hearing if anyone else attributes any palm straight to the claw like posture that laptop browsing entails. Fortunately 99% or more of my work is at a desktop and the Mac is just for personal use.

I can really recommend using a logitech MX vertical mouse and a seperate, flat or ergonomic keyboard. Since I used it the strain has gone away. Whenever I don't use it my wrist feels awkward and strained.

View attachment 223884

I have to say I have a lot of respect for Logitech as a company. Years ago I had a mouse that was at least 10 years old (I think MX510) that developed some sticking. I didn't think much of it but I sent Logitech an email and they just sent me a free replacement for the current model equivalent. Contrast this to Razer that gave me some problems a couple of months out of warranty and they just offered me a 10% off coupon to only be used at their webstore which was significantly more expensive than any other retailer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom