• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Verisonix Pro DJ Review (Hybrid Electrostatic Headphone)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Verisonix Pro DJ N1502C hybrid electrostatic headphone (has two drivers). It was purchased new by a member and drop shipped to me. I am having a hard time finding their price. I think they sold for $120???

These don't look too bad although clearly made to seem nicer than they are:
Verisonix Pro DJ 1502C Review Hybrid Electrostatic headphone.jpg

A single slim 3.5mm cable connects the headphone to your amplifier. One channel in the headphone was dead. I could not replace the cable because the ones I have don't fit in the hole for the cable.

Note: The measurements you are about to see are made using a standardized Gras 45C. Headphone measurements by definition are approximate and variable so don't be surprised if other measurements even if performed with the same fixtures as mine, differ in end results. Protocols vary such as headband pressure and averaging (which I don't do). As you will see, I confirm the approximate accuracy of the measurements using Equalization and listening tests. Ultimately headphone measurements are less exact than speakers mostly in bass and above a few kilohertz so keep that in mind as you read these tests. If you think you have an exact idea of a headphone performance, you are likely wrong!

Fitment on the fixture was reasonably good.

Verisonix Pro DJ N1502C Measurements
As usual, let's start with headphone frequency response measurements:

Verisonix Pro DJ Frequency Response Meaurements Hybrid Electrostatic headphone.png

Only one channel is shown since the other one is not working. Response goes everywhere it wants. If it didn't have the dip at 300 Hz it would not be that bad. Interestingly the Group Delay shows something is amiss at that frequency as well:

Verisonix Pro DJ Group Delay vs  Frequency Response Meaurements Hybrid Electrostatic headphone.png

Distortion is quite high across the board:

Verisonix Pro DJ distortion vs Frequency Response Meaurements Hybrid Electrostatic headphone.png

Verisonix Pro DJ THD distortion vs Frequency Response Meaurements Hybrid Electrostatic headphone.png

Sensitivity is good:

most efficient electrostatic headphone reviewed.png

Impedance swing and dip way low, not so much:

Verisonix Pro DJ impedance vs Frequency Response Meaurements Hybrid Electrostatic headphone.png

Headphone Listening Tests and EQ
With just one cup playing, it was hard to get enough volume to listen without risking damage in that one ear. Still, I was able to do some evaluation. Surprisingly, the sound is not as awful as it seems to the eye. The boost in bass region makes up for the lack of deep bass to some extent for example. Still, equalization was quite effective:

Verisonix Pro DJ THD equalization eq parametric Hybrid Electrostatic headphone.png

As you can see, the entire frequency range is being modified here. So not where you want to go unless you have to.

Conclusions
This headphone is classic "selling by parts" kind of products. It has dual drivers including a electrostatic driver so it must be good. Well, it is not. It doesn't follow any kind of proper frequency response. Distortion is high. And with one channel being dead out of the box, quality control seems quite lacking.

I can't recommend the Verisonix Pro DJ N1502C headphone.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Attachments

• Verisonix Pro DJ 1502 Frequency Response.zip
    13.5 KB · Views: 114

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
To import this PEQ profile into 'Equalizer APO', use:
Preamp: -10.4 dB
Filter 1: ON LS Fc 60 Hz Gain 4.0 dB Q 1.0
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 170 Hz Gain -4.0 dB Q 2.0
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 333 Hz Gain 2.5 dB Q 2.0
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 1000 Hz Gain -5.0 dB Q 2.0
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 2400 Hz Gain 8.0 dB Q 4.0
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 4000 Hz Gain 10.0 dB Q 5.0
Otherwise, see my PEQ guide.
..................................................................................................................
For those who don't have PEQ-capable app, and want to use GEQs instead:
See my GEQ guide for 10-band, 31-band, and 127-band GEQ profiles.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Well that was fun. NOT. LOL

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
With just one cup playing, it was hard to get enough volume to listen without risking damage in that one ear. Still, I was able to do some evaluation.

I'm kind of amazed that you managed that

I get headaches from most headphones if I don't use crossfeed.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Lordy, terrible!

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
To import this PEQ profile into 'Equalizer APO', use:

Otherwise, see my PEQ guide.
..................................................................................................................
For those who don't have PEQ-capable app, and want to use GEQs instead:
See my GEQ guide for 10-band, 31-band, and 127-band GEQ profiles.
WUT, no no no, don't bother.....erase for a better world!

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Jimmy

Dual driver over ear headphones aren't usually very good, it's hard enough to build good single driver headphones, let alone trying to combine several drivers with (or without) crossover.

I believe one of the few headphones that succeeded in doing so (at least subjectively) are the Enigmacoustics Dharma D1000 :

https://www.enigmacoustics.com/shop/dharma-d1000/

But we are talking about 10x the price, and I still don't believe that using electret drivers nowadays is necessary/better than regular dynamic/planar magnetic.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I measured a similar headphone.
They aren't electrostatic but the tweeters are electret.
I took them apart and had a look at the electret driver itself.

You can also find these headphones under the name Mitchell & Johnson, Cyberdrive, and Electrostatz.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Dual driver over ear headphones aren't usually very good, it's hard enough to build good single driver headphones, let alone trying to combine several drivers with (or without) crossover.

I believe one of the few headphones that succeeded in doing so (at least subjectively) are the Enigmacoustics Dharma D1000 :

https://www.enigmacoustics.com/shop/dharma-d1000/

But we are talking about 10x the price, and I still don't believe that using electret drivers nowadays is necessary/better than regular dynamic/planar magnetic.
I thought the one from 1More was alright to my ears.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Yes, that however, is a ceramic driver and not electret and crosses over at the correct level at 5kHz.
Had a more detailed look into the 1More as well.
Phase issues cause a deep, but narrow, dip at 7kHz.
Below the 1 more (drivers disconnected and measured separately)
2-drivers.png

For the M&J (Verisonix) this is very different (drivers disconnected and measured separately at the same level)
speaker-electret.png

It looks nice but is total crap... it even had an MSRP of $ 680.- !!!

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom