• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Verdant Audio Bambusa AL-1 Review

LDKTA

I only wonder why the company sent it to Amir. They could try some audiophile sites that don't post brutal raw data and reviews look like a poem about audio equipment. Bamboo speakers would surely incite their imagination. These are not bad per se but bad for the price.

In the thread where Amir asked which DIY loudspeakers to review, I mentioned Verdant Audio and Scott (the designer and owner -- was either notified or already a member of ASR) decided to follow up. I didn't think he would actually send them. These results come to me as no surprise. All of his loudspeakers are "cookie cutter" designs that (I believe) aim to entice audiophiles through the use of "high end" cabling, binding posts, audiophile grade crossover parts and rather expensive transducers. I do appreciate the Scott's valiance though... I'd imagine that a lot of manufacturers would refuse to and, or be reluctant to send their equipment to Amir for objective evaluation.

EQ + Subwoofer(s) would be absolutely necessary -- All of his loudspeakers are "bass shy."
-- The $10k flagship model -- Blackthorn 1
  • 60 Hz – 18.7 kHz +/- 3 dB
  • 51 Hz – 19.1 kHz +/- 6dB
  • 43 Hz – 20.0 kHz +/- 10dB

avddreamr

Does anyone know specifically which Seas drivers do they use? It looks like a T25CF01, and an L12 or L15. Both of which require a notch filter to tame the resonances or a very steep x-over. There are better options in SEAS line up for the price, and I wonder why they elected to use those drivers. The tweeter has to be at least 25 years old.

wwenze

Major Contributor
Interesting... product.

In some areas it does measure pretty well, like the bass extension and how flat the in-room estimate FR generally is apart from that shelf filter in the midrange.

And then there's that midrange.
I also initially thought the directivity chart is out of whack but then realized it is due to the midrange.

It is probably a decent speaker after EQ, but I don't think I can accept $3,500 that still needs EQ. Despite people owning $3,500 products probably have an EQ system, which feels weird.

wwenze

Major Contributor
I only wonder why the company sent it to Amir. They could try some audiophile sites that don't post brutal raw data and reviews look like a poem about audio equipment. Bamboo speakers would surely incite their imagination. These are not bad per se but bad for the price.

Maybe it's cheaper to send it to Amir, if you know what I mean.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does anyone know specifically which Seas drivers do they use? It looks like a T25CF01, and an L12 or L15. Both of which require a notch filter to tame the resonances or a very steep x-over. There are better options in SEAS line up for the price, and I wonder why they elected to use those drivers. The tweeter has to be at least 25 years old.
I am pretty sure the L15.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Actually feel bad that the manufacturer took the risk to send the speaker only to see it get beat up here.
Not many will take that risk knowing that only the facts will be presented and not softened by advertising dollars.
We do need to be more charitable in these cases, and that includes myself. ;)

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
feel bad that the manufacturer took the risk to send the speaker only to see it get beat up here.
Potentially a smart move..if, like Schiit, they learn from the measurements and comments, and come up with something much better - at 1/4 the price..

ta240

Major Contributor
Potentially a smart move..if, like Schiit, they learn from the measurements and comments, and come up with something much better - at 1/4 the price..

I don't know that everything has to be priced low. Speakers are also basically furniture and there is plenty of crazy expensive furniture out there too; much of it based on style. I see stand speakers at higher prices often dismissed but for those that don't have a dedicated listening room, or if someone wants speakers for a regular room, they can be far more stylish than floorstanders. Speakers like these, while out of my price range, could easily add to rather than take away from the decor in a room. If buying a pacemaker I'll always buy based on science but when buying audio that is also furniture and decor I may buy with my emotions too. And the low volume manufactures always have to balance how many more they'd sell at 1/4 the price to figure if it would be worth the drop.

Check out the $5000 beauties:
image_360x.jpg

Last edited:

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some overlays of technical curves for AL-1:
According to your simulations, one could almost think that the crossover was simply calculated rather than designed - without taking the influence of the baffle into account. ;)

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Actually feel bad that the manufacturer took the risk to send the speaker only to see it get beat up here.
Not many will take that risk knowing that only the facts will be presented and not softened by advertising dollars.
We do need to be more charitable in these cases, and that includes myself. ;)
Manufacturer was spared the headless panther, so I guess that's some compassion ;)

Last edited:

oldsysop

I don't know that everything has to be priced low. Speakers are also basically furniture and there is plenty of crazy expensive furniture out there too; much of it based on style. I see stand speakers at higher prices often dismissed but for those that don't have a dedicated listening room, or if someone wants speakers for a regular room, they can be far more stylish than floorstanders. Speakers like these, while out of my price range, could easily add to rather than take away from the decor in a room. If buying a pacemaker I'll always buy based on science but when buying audio that is also furniture and decor I may buy with my emotions too. And the low volume manufactures always have to balance how many more they'd sell at 1/4 the price to figure if it would be worth the drop.

Check out the $5000 beauties:
image_360x.jpg
No matter how hard I try, I can't see the beauty.
It looks like a simple toy

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
No matter how hard I try, I can't see the beauty.
It looks like a simple toy
People have been groomed to expect small 2 way speakers. The days of ~6" mid range drivers and 12"+ woofers are mostly gone for most people. I for one miss the big-bore speakers but if one looks they are available just not commonly.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
People have been groomed to expect small 2 way speakers. The days of ~6" mid range drivers and 12"+ woofers are mostly gone for most people. I for one miss the big-bore speakers but if one looks they are available just not commonly.
Yep, the new Klipsch Heresy IV and JBL L100 Classic come immediately to mind.
We just have to decide if they're bookshelf or floor standers. LOL
Heresy-Made-in-USA-Hope-AR-2000x1125.jpg

Harman-JBL-L100_BLK_3-4_Grill_RT-1605x1605px.png

D

Deleted member 2944

Again, decent drivers but poor crossover execution.
Yep. I did a two-way system about 15 years ago with this tweeter and the L22 driver. (I'm listening to them as I type this.) There's no reason for this type of poor system execution when the drivers are perfectly fine. Ahem.

Dave.

Top Bottom