• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Vera Audio midrange horn - polar measurements

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
It's a 2-way horn that requires a separate bass solution/subwoofer.

The 2-way horn looks like this:
View attachment 349956

Our subwoofer will get some aesthetic modifications, but prototype looked like this:
View attachment 349957

The subwoofer is a dual 18" design with horn loading in a small area.
I think the sub looks super smart as it is, is the front black or chrome? I always liked the Burmester chromed amplifiers.
Keith

Hayabusa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The polars are measured separately. However, there's a measurement of both indoor over a reflective floor at different heights here:
Now I am confused, I see polars which go from 100Hz to 20KHz in one go..
Maybe its good to specify more exact what you are showing..

OP
Bjorn

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I think the sub looks super smart as it is, is the front black or chrome? I always liked the Burmester chromed amplifiers.
Keith
Black glossy paint.
275757202_5080297312030594_1169636226697991571_n (Liten).jpg

The plan is also to have the short sides veneered.
275767780_518151050029102_8412382984609042763_n (Liten).jpg

And we have moved away from a built in plate amplifier like the first prototype had.
275844926_540613610669818_7680240556543066722_n (Liten).jpg

The most powerful Hypex plateamp doesn't serve this subwoofer justice. It can take a lot more power. With an external mono block we will offer, it will have an increased output of 5 dB. That's almost as much as adding a second subwoofer. Avoiding either extra A/D or D/A conversion is nice too when you already have a DSP earlier in the signal path.

OP
Bjorn

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Now I am confused, I see polars which go from 100Hz to 20KHz in one go..
Maybe its good to specify more exact what you are showing..
Not sure what's unclear in that post. It isn't really a polar measurement. You have to wait for full anechoic measurements of the horn combined.

The graphs in post 3 is a measurement in a living room over a reflective floor of the horn speaker and subwoofer. Room looks like this (though speaker were placed differently and I used some more treatment):
269_1331359062.jpg

It basically shows how even the 2-way horn speaker is in a living room with a reflective floor at various heights.

A complete overlay at different heights is seen here:
VA Sagarmatha 2.8m various heights overl.jpg

And in other graph below I removed the frequencies below 100 Hz, because room modes will obviously effect such an indoor measurement at different heights. What you seing above between 60 Hz and 80 Hz is room related. No gating were used in the measurement. Smoothing was with 1/3 octave in the overlay FIY.

Last edited:
OP
Bjorn

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
A listening distance similar to what we see below would not work well for most speakers. The distance is 5.5 m (18') or greater depending on how much the couch and speakers are pulled out.
269_1803383502.jpg

Despite of the long listening distance and close proximity to the rear wall, it works really well due to a combination of broadband and narrow directivity. This means the frequency response is still very even and there's not as much room interaction as with traditional speakers.
This is great benefit if one is forced to place seating position far away.

Having some absorption behind the listening position is an advantage though when sitting this close.
269_364755452.jpg

And typically, the lowest frequencies can be high when sitting close the rear wall and one has to bring the level down. But this is easy with a DSP that will be sold with speakers.
There's a bit of loss of depth, but other than that the sound quality and tonality is really great, and with a effortless and weight to the sound smaller systems simply can't match.

Ra1zel

It's quite regrettable that compression driver tech is not advancing at the same pace as direct radiatiors and thus running one driver all the way up still has some fundamental issues

OP
Bjorn

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
It's quite regrettable that compression driver tech is not advancing at the same pace as direct radiatiors and thus running one driver all the way up still has some fundamental issues
Most of have experience with quality compression drivers would say the opposite here. There's a clarity and detail from a good compression driver that's not achievable with tradtional piston drivers. That's also my experience in AB testings and even when the compression driver isn't horn loaded.

I showed this measurement in another thread, and I'll post here as well. The horn used in this measurement isn't great, it hasn't been matched to the exit angle of the driver, and no EQ has been applied. But we can still see how fast the decay is for this compression driver - same one we're using in our horn.

Radian 951BEPB waterfall.jpg

Distortion with 95 dB is also very low despite the use of a non optimal horn.

951BePB distortion.jpg

hvbias

Most of have experience with quality compression drivers would say the opposite here. There's a clarity and detail from a good compression driver that's not achievable with tradtional piston drivers. That's also my experience in AB testings and even when the compression driver isn't horn loaded.

I showed this measurement in another thread, and I'll post here as well. The horn used in this measurement isn't great, it hasn't been matched to the exit angle of the driver, and no EQ has been applied. But we can still see how fast the decay is for this compression driver - same one we're using in our horn.

View attachment 356081

Distortion with 95 dB is also very low despite the use of a non optimal horn.

View attachment 356082

Do you have to use a Be diaphragm compression driver to get such wide bandwidth with the midrange horn?

OP
Bjorn

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Do you have to use a Be diaphragm compression driver to get such wide bandwidth with the midrange horn?
No. I could us aluminum diaphragm as well. However, breakup is lower with beryllium and tends to sound smoother over time.
At the moment the crossover is at 530 Hz.

Top Bottom