• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Vera Audio Class-D Amp Build Quality

OP
maty

maty

Major Contributor
Simple question. What increase in cost involves using 0.004% tolerance resistors to improve the CMRR? Only two resistors if I am not wrong, as was my suggestion to Bruno Putzeys but with bigger tolerance (worse) than yours.

Armand

Audio Company
Simple question. What increase in cost involves using 0.004% tolerance resistors to improve the CMRR? Only two resistors if I am not wrong, as was my suggestion to Bruno Putzeys but with bigger tolerance (worse) than yours.

It depends on how this is implemented. We use the INA1620 operational amplifier with inbuilt 0,004% matched resistors.

OP
maty

maty

Major Contributor
Thank you very much for the answer and the transparency.

blodsbror

Would love to see a silver version!:) I live in Norway, and have been contemplating the NAD 22 V2 which is in a similar price ballpark. Any ideas how these would compare?

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Would love to see a silver version!:) I live in Norway, and have been contemplating the NAD 22 V2 which is in a similar price ballpark. Any ideas how these would compare?
Silver color is something we could consider offer later if there's a demand for it.

I don't think it's our job to say how it compares to another brand, but what you are getting with the P400/1000 is an amp with a very powerful PSU of 3kW, bridging option with increased output (over 1200W in 8 and 4 ohm) that will work well with speaker down to approximately 3 ohm and with even lower distortion than in sterreo which is very unique, a buffer with exceptional low noise and distortion, several features, and a cooling system that will ensure a long life span even under extreme conditions. The chassis is of very high quality in brushed thick aluminium with no seams or visible screws.

I assume you've seen the review in Stereo+ on page 54-56:
https://view.joomag.com/stereopluss-utgave-nr-10-2019/0270880001577101555?short

Armand

Audio Company
I have done a google translate of the section with the sound experience and removed some of the silly translatoin errors and replaced them with somewhat more correct english.
To sum it up, the review is very very good. We got a 10/10 score on price/performance and there was absolutely nothing negative whatsoever. A small negative remark about not having RCA inputs and also about the fans. Not because there was any noise (he could not hear them), but because this can be a "turn-off" for some customers.
The RCA "problem" is easily solved with a RCA to XLR converter (or cable). There is no degradation in the sound by using a converter but obviously the benefits from balanced signal transfer will be lost.
About the fans, we firmly believe that this is not an issue. First, because they will remain inactive the first 48 hours of use (untill switched off and on again with the front panel standby button) , and second because at 500RPM the are in fact completely noiseless. (0dB SPL). We have added them as a safeguard against too high temperature over time and if the amplifier is used very hard or if it is used in places with elevated temperatures.

Sound.

I have heard some class D constructions, both when the technology was relatively new and in later years. I've heard some good and some that seems to have been missing something. What it is Vera Audio has done with its new power amplifier to give me a complete jaw dropping experience I have no idea, because this just sounds like one of the best combinations of muscles and finesse I've ever heard. No matter the price. As a stereo amplifier, you get a lot of power, but this is not a US V8 engine. To use the car analogy, it seems more like a race trimmed inline-six, as if the amplifier barely needs to make an effort to kick life in my PMC speakers. It is impressive considering that PMC itself recommends from 200- to 800-watt amplifiers in 8 ohms. The result is that the amplifier keeps steel-hard control on the sound, in fact, to a slightly greater extent than Hegel's amazing H590 I also tried in parts of the test period. The bass is simply extremely impressive in its combination of attack, precision, definition and fullness. When the mid-range at the same time is one of the most open and transparent I have heard, without it becoming weak, then it is difficult not to be completely sold. Voices are as crystal clear as I rarely have experienced, and upwards it is both silky smooth and full of details and texture. It never gets sharp, but it definitely doesn't roll off. It is lots of energy throughout the frequency range, and the dynamics are sparkling at both macro and micro levels. I actually get the feeling that This is like a tube amplifier or a Class A transistor amplifier, but with unlimited power resources. It is also reflected in the ability to expand the music in width and depth. It is poetic, precise and credible. When I plug in another P400 / 1000 and use them in bridged mode I actually only get more of everything. The soundstage is growing, there is even more air between instruments and the amplifier set seems even more pristine although I try to challenge it with both volume and complex music. It is not a hint of difficulty breathing

cjfrbw

Norwegian? Does it eat rotten fish, chew snuff, drink strong coffee all day, and take thirty years to get to know you a little?

Armand

Audio Company
Purifi model is due in a couple of weeks if everything goes according to plan.
@cjfrbw: I pass on the rotten fish, but snuff and coffe is good stuff :) I dont know about thirty years. Norwegians may be introvert but we are changing. Slowly ;)

Teaser:
Stereo: 300W into 4 Ohms with 0.0006% THD+N
Bridged in 8 Ohm. 550W with 0.0005% THD+N. 800W with 1%.
1581305013348.png

1581305318121.png

Attachments

• 1581304879719.png
    1581304879719.png
    360.7 KB · Views: 119
  • 1581304954604.png
    1581304954604.png
    352.3 KB · Views: 113
  • 1581305299686.png
    1581305299686.png
    82.5 KB · Views: 106

AnLaoJin

Purifi model is due in a couple of weeks if everything goes according to plan.
@cjfrbw: I pass on the rotten fish, but snuff and coffe is good stuff :) I dont know about thirty years. Norwegians may be introvert but we are changing. Slowly ;)

Teaser:
Stereo: 300W into 4 Ohms with 0.0006% THD+N
Bridged in 8 Ohm. 550W with 0.0005% THD+N. 800W with 1%.
View attachment 49500

View attachment 49502

Do you have a product plan for NC1200? NC1200 is obviously much better than NC500.
---AnLaoJin!!!

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
[QUOTE =“ Armand,post:324596,member:2410”]如果一切都按计划进行,则Purifi模型将在几周内到期。
[USER = 1434] @cjfrbw [/ USER]:我传了烂鱼,但是鼻烟和咖啡是:) 我三十年来所不知道的好东西。挪威人可能内向,但我们正在改变。慢慢地;)

预告片:
立体声:300W(4欧姆)和0.0006%THD + N
以8欧姆桥接。550W,总谐波失真(THD)+ 0.0005%N。800W,1%。
View attachment 49500

View attachment 49502[/引用]

您对NC1200产品有什么计划吗?NC1200的参数比NC500的参数好得多。

是安老金
I had to use google translate as my chinese isn't that good :)
You asked: "Do you have any plans for NC1200 products? The parameters of NC1200 are much better than those of NC500."
The answer is no. There are two reasons.

1. The way we have built the P400/1000 the difference to NC1200 is minimal. If we used NC1200 instead it would only have more output power with very low impedances.
You can see below the output capability with P400/1000 in stereo and in bridge mode with different impedances:
Watt vs impedance stereo mode.jpg

Watt vs impedance bridged mode.jpg

2. And the other reason why we are not planning an amplifier with NC1200 is because we are aiming to use a more powerful module in what's likely to be monoblocks. This amplifier/monoblock will have considerably more output power than P400/1000 and will therefore be a real upgrade if more watts is needed. When this product will be ready is uncertain.

Armand

Audio Company
Do you have a product plan for NC1200? NC1200 is obviously much better than NC500.
---AnLaoJin!!!

NC1200 can handle bigger currents but that's about it. For it was important to make the input buffer as good as possible. The NC1200 has integrated buffer without possibility to bypass without modifications so we will probably not use that one. The output power is already very high with the NC500

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Armand added a third reason. With NC500 we could develop our own input buffer. This buffer is of higher quality than Hypex' buffer.

Reactions: ENG

AnLaoJin

Armand added a third reason. With NC500 we could develop our own input buffer. This buffer is of higher quality than Hypex' buffer.

Seeing that you are developing a later level based on Purifi, what are the advantages of Purifi over NC500? The above measurement shows that the distortion of Purifi is much lower than that of NC500, but the output power seems to be halved. I need 4 Ω 500W ultra-low distortion power, but the lowest impedance of the speaker is 3 Ω. Should I choose Purifi BTL or NC500?
---AnLaoJin!!!

AnLaoJin

NC1200 can handle bigger currents but that's about it. For it was important to make the input buffer as good as possible. The NC1200 has integrated buffer without possibility to bypass without modifications so we will probably not use that one. The output power is already very high with the NC500

In fact, the current 4 Ω 550W ultra-low distortion power of the P400amp 1000 is very suitable for me, but the new Purifi-based amplifier seems to have lower distortion. If the Purifi is changed to BTL to achieve or even exceed the power of the P400amp 1000, can it load 3 Ω?

AnLaoJin

Besides, I have a new idea. My DAC output voltage is 4.5 VRMS. I want to get rid of the voltage amplifier and make the DAC and P400 dial 1000 straight-through, so that the volume can be controlled by the gain adjustment of the P400 dial 1000. Will this work? How much gain is appropriate for P400A 1000?

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Seeing that you are developing a later level based on Purifi, what are the advantages of Purifi over NC500? The above measurement shows that the distortion of Purifi is much lower than that of NC500, but the output power seems to be halved. I need 4 Ω 500W ultra-low distortion power, but the lowest impedance of the speaker is 3 Ω. Should I choose Purifi BTL or NC500?
---AnLaoJin!!!
The advantage of the amplifier (called P150/600) with Purifi is lower distortion as you point out. It also remains cooler and therefore has no backup fans. But with less power and the cost will also be higher. Whether this lower distortion is audible or not is something that would require an objective test and "the jury is still out".

You can bridge two P150/600 amplifiers (Purifi based) to achieve continuous 600W but obviously the cost will be much higher than one single P400/1000.

Top Bottom